View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Students paint over Rudyard Kipling poem, because he racist Reply with quote

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5967459/Manchester-students-paint-classic-Kipling-poem-imperialistic-works.html

Quote:
Irate students have painted over Rudyard Kipling's venerated poem 'If' - repeatedly voted the nation's favourite - because they believe he was a racist.

The much-loved 1895 work, which is inscribed over the entrance to Wimbledon's Centre Court, was put up to inspire undergraduates and staff.

But within a week students had replaced it with 'Still I Rise' by Maya Angelou, branding the University of Manchester's decision 'deeply inappropriate' and upsetting to ethnic minorities.

John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utter scum - won't amount to anything.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Kipling became a very famous poet.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Actually Kipling became a very famous poet.
and a maker of exceedingly good cakes
John-Boy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:wink:
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are people trying to ban Gone With the Wind too.

Historical revisionism is a key weapon in the People's war on ThoughtCrime.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cultural and historical vandalism is basically the regressive left's modern day book burning. Real 1984 shit.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know who else has always been big on this? Religious fanatics.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
You know who else has always been big on this? Religious fanatics.

Yup.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem. Did any of you read the names of the people who were protesting?

I mean the video is... rather unnecessary when you paid attention to the article.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video is for comedic effect/showing how no matter how much anti-SJWs parody SJWs, they inevitably comport with the parody.
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you notice that you see this behavior at university, but not at trade schools?
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, trade-schoolers have better things to be doing than being perpetually offended by microeverythings. In 'liberal' 'arts' courses it's practically the curriculum.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
There are people trying to ban Gone With the Wind too.

Historical revisionism is a key weapon in the People's war on ThoughtCrime.

That I've heard of too. What? No blacksies as protagonists? That means it is historically incorrect!
Anyways, Revision of history is important for those folks....Ilikeblacks...notaracist....justanalcoholicwithtoomuchtimeoff.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

History is always revised. Always.

The winners write the history books when it comes to documentation of conflicts and the history behind them. The losers either die off, fade away, or accept the new history.

So, complaining about historical revision is like complaining that the sun is yellow. Or that you're a human being.

And it is fundamentally no better than what these kids are trying to do - I mean, if you count cultural bias, damned near everyone is a 'racist', except instead of race being the mitigating factor, a person's culture is.

Very, very few people are openly accepting of *all* peoples without limitation, whether it be race, sex, physical attributes, culture, geography, political views, socio-economic views, etc....pick a bias and try to fight it and you've created a different form of bias.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to be the winner. I think you are right here. We can always hope on archaeology to straighten things up in about 500 years.
If I live in the 'now', and then I think it is important to ask those revisions tried to be done if they are correct erratas.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt wrote:
History is always revised. Always.

The winners write the history books when it comes to documentation of conflicts and the history behind them. The losers either die off, fade away, or accept the new history.

So, complaining about historical revision is like complaining that the sun is yellow. Or that you're a human being.

No, I don't buy that logic. You're basically saying don't bother to wipe your ass because it's only going to get shitty again, and that you shouldn't mind if someone spits in your face because you've got a mouth full of saliva anyway. Your statements vaguely resemble valid argumentation but are not rational.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong.

I'm not saying don't do that - I'm saying getting all pissy about something that is done all the time in a specific example is stupid. If you're going to be mad about historical revision, you have to be mad about *all* of them, not just what you think kids are doing today. And that means getting mad about the historical revisions by the various cultures and civilizations that 'won' in their conquests against other cultures / civilizations.

A better, and more appropriate example - getting mad about people who exhibit racist tendencies towards black people - but not saying a damned thing when someone else exhibits racist tendencies towards, oh, let's pick Middle Easterns, or those of Muslim faith.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt wrote:
Wrong. I'm not saying don't do that - I'm saying getting all pissy about something that is done all the time in a specific example is stupid. If you're going to be mad about historical revision, you have to be mad about *all* of them,

Oh, I have to, do I? Why?

See, you're doing it again. You make these trite statements, but they dont make any sense. You don't think things out before you say them. Now you're saying it's stupid to get mad at the guy who insulted my wife unless I get mad at all men who have ever insulted a woman. No, it's quite sensible, logical, and rational for me to get mad at this one. Also, these people haven't "won" anything. You're making an unjustified generalization by putting these attempts to gain power and alter society through insidious, propagandistic revisionism and bullying in the same bucket with "history written by the victors". Remember, the Republicans won the U.S. Civil War and freed the slaves.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hate to agree with BK. ;)

But, he's right. Just because the principle source of historical literature regarding conflict between two parties is typically that of the victor, it doesn't mean it's all useless propaganda. The preponderance of victor literature doesn't preclude the existence of losing or 3rd party literature that substantiates sequence of events and some claims/details described by the victor. What these social justice weasels are doing is just out and out historical vandalism and fantasism designed to erode the bedrock of Western civilisation.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Somebody had a thesaurus for lunch.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
johngalt wrote:
Wrong. I'm not saying don't do that - I'm saying getting all pissy about something that is done all the time in a specific example is stupid. If you're going to be mad about historical revision, you have to be mad about *all* of them,

See, you're doing it again. You make these trite statements, but they dont make any sense. You don't think things out before you say them. Now you're saying it's stupid to get mad at the guy who insulted my wife unless I get mad at all men who have ever insulted a woman. No, it's quite sensible, logical, and rational for me to get mad at this one. Also, these people haven't "won" anything. You're making an unjustified generalization by putting these attempts to gain power and alter society through insidious, propagandistic revisionism and bullying in the same bucket with "history written by the victors". Remember, the Republicans won the U.S. Civil War and freed the slaves.

Wrong. First of all, I'm not saying they are right to revise history, nor am I saying you're wrong for opposing them. So, please, read what I wrote a bit more carefully, and understand more and interpret less.

I'm saying that being mad about what these people are doing (which is just as wrong in my eyes as yours, thanks, in case you missed it) is superfluous when you completely ignore and discount the fact that history is written by the victors.

As long as they don't win, they cannot have the effect of rewriting it - so let them fucking try.

It's like grade school in here, sometimes, I swear.

Amen.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt wrote:
Bones McCracker wrote:
johngalt wrote:

Wrong. First of all, I'm not saying they are right to revise history, nor am I saying you're wrong for opposing them. So, please, read what I wrote a bit more carefully, and understand more and interpret less.

I'm saying that being mad about what these people are doing (which is just as wrong in my eyes as yours, thanks, in case you missed it) is superfluous when you completely ignore and discount the fact that history is written by the victors.

As long as they don't win, they cannot have the effect of rewriting it - so let them fucking try.

It's like grade school in here, sometimes, I swear.

No, that's not what you said. Maybe you should go back and read it. You can't just tap-dance your way out by twisting your own words, because they're right there for everybody to see. Besides, you're still wrong, and for the same reasons. Maybe you should learn a little humilty; you might actually learn something and become a better person, instead of protecting your fragile ego.

Last edited by Bones McCracker on Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever seen a grown man naked?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old School wrote:
Have you ever seen a grown man naked?

That's sexist.