[SOLVED] No netflix after upgrade to qtwebengine-5.11.1
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:23 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] No netflix after upgrade to qtwebengine-5.11.1 Reply with quote

I updated qtwebengine from 5.9.6 to 5.11.1 a couple of days ago and Netflix stopped working (only browser is qupzilla here). It displays error UI3010 in every stream, is anyone else having the same problem?

Last edited by potuz on Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have qtwebengine 5.11 and falkon (qupzilla is evolved in falkon) and I tried to see a trailer from netflix and it work fine.
You are sure that problem is update of qtwebengine?
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qtwebengine doesnt render netflix.
Its widevine closed source DRM codec.
Dunno how it was even working qwith qupzilla, mb u had firefox or something and it downloaded it. Or maybe qupzilla autodownloads it ( but it forgot this time :D)?
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
I have qtwebengine 5.11 and falkon (qupzilla is evolved in falkon) and I tried to see a trailer from netflix and it work fine.
You are sure that problem is update of qtwebengine?

I am not sure if it was qtwebengine, that's the only thing I can think that changed in this system than can affect this as it rebuilt the chromium engine. I installed falkon and it's now worse since now it doesn't recognize the widevine plugins. Would you mind telling me which versions of libwidevinecdmadapter.so and libwidevinecdm.so you have installed and where did you get them from? It may be that the update render those libraries (that I just downloaded as binary blobs) unusable.
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems I am not the only one, https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-64071 I am installing the latest chrome-binary-plugins to find out if that solves the problem
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I gave up, installed falkon and tried different versions of www-plugins/chrome-binary-plugins, tried:

68.0.3440.59_beta

And unmasked
69.0.3486.0_alpha

To no avail. I tried also copying and creating /usr/lib/qt5/plugins/ppapi and tried the widevine plugin files from 66 that I had previously working but nothing seems to work.
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

qtwebengine 5.11 is based on Chromium 65.0.3325.151, The current chrome-binary-plugins are newer than that, I wander those that have netflix working with qtwebengine 5.11 which version of the widevine plugin are they using. I had an old widevine plugin that seems to have stoped working with the upgrade in chromium (qtwebengine). My guess is that I need a newer one but older than the ones in the tree.
potuz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success! marking this thread as solved. I had to extract an older widevine libraries from the debian package for version 66 of chromium

https://dl.google.com/linux/deb/pool/main/g/google-chrome-stable/google-chrome-stable_66.0.3359.181-1_amd64.deb

A tip that I got from the corresponding package in the ARCH AUR:

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/qt5-webengine-widevine/

Dropped the libraries
libwidevinecdmadapter.so
libwidevinecdm.so

In /usr/lib/chromium/

and voilá. Actually, I am not sure if that was it since I also have soft links to these files in /usr/lib/chromium-browser /usr/lib/qt5/plugins/{ppapi,falkon}

And I won't waste time trying to check which one of these is useless.

It is a bit disappointing that after so many years and such an evolved community we still have these issues sporadically on updates.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

potuz wrote:
It is a bit disappointing that after so many years and such an evolved community we still have these issues sporadically on updates.
DRM encumbrance is designed to work worse than non-DRM-encumbered media, so it's not at all surprising that it breaks somewhat frequently. I'm somewhat surprised that it works as well as it does, actually. If the streams were unencumbered and playable without the DRM plugin, this would likely be less prone to random breakage and easier to fix when it did break.
mael
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this problem is not solved, using binary stuff is a (VERY BAD) workaround at best, not an open-source friendly solution, please unmark the thread as solved!

this widevine plugin should be reverse engineered, recoded from start (for differrent webengines beginning with recent 5.11+ qtwebengine) and published on github opensource!

i consider that a bad joke of a marketing strategy from netflx since i have a valid netflix account and only want to use falkon based on qtwebengine on kde 5 WHICH I COULDNT because of some m***n economics engineer at netflix!

since you must have a valid netflix account to watch it shouldnt concern the company using their proprietary plugin or the (hypothetical possible) open source solution ... i dont want any binary closed source crap on my box UNDERSTOOD NETFLIX?
AMD Radeon 290X 8 GB RAM
Creative Soundblaster Z
Areca ARC-1883ix-16
16 Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SSDs @ 3,5 TB RAID 6
Hauppauge HVR-5525
Firmwares are up-to-date
disquz
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mael wrote:
this problem is not solved, using binary stuff is a (VERY BAD) workaround at best, not an open-source friendly solution, please unmark the thread as solved!

since you must have a valid netflix account to watch it shouldnt concern the company using their proprietary plugin or the (hypothetical possible) open source solution ... i dont want any binary closed source crap on my box UNDERSTOOD NETFLIX?

As much as I agree and support your opinion on this topic, I'm afraid, I guess Netflix will not read your post :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: