Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
The Gentoo minimal installation CD doesn't boot in UEFI.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1clue
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
gdisk and fdisk are, of course, perfectly usable, especially for a first time installation. gparted is handy for moving or shortening existing partitions.

I usually install at the machine. Your method is fine for remote installation. I assume you have a helper to insert the CD/USB stick and power on the machine. Or your at the machine with a laptop. I normally work in my basement. Sometimes in a friend's home. Once I brought a friend's hard drive home and stuck it in one of my machines. That was a lengthy install as I gave him three Linuxes to experiment with, RedHat (this was pre-systemd), Puppy Linux (he wanted it) and Gentoo, selectable by grub legacy menu.

I usually install on bare metal that has an IPMI interface. Meaning my hardware has a service processor and the console can be on the network through a VPN, and I can insert media from my workstation for use on the remote host. On the rare occasion it's not server hardware or a VM I can get a helper to insert the stick and reboot.

At any rate I'm only on that until the root password is changed and the ssh service is started, those consoles are pretty terrible to actually do work from.
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to confirm, the Gentoo minimal install image (at least, as of version install-amd64-minimal-20180828T214505Z.iso) now supports booting in both UEFI and legacy mode.
This is a relatively recent change - for example the install-amd64-minimal-20180703T214502Z.iso image was still legacy boot only.

sakaki
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: