an obnoxious issue with emerging libunistring-0.9.7
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thegreenhat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: an obnoxious issue with emerging libunistring-0.9.7 Reply with quote

Solved :)

Last edited by thegreenhat on Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Builds here error free with the same toolchain. Sometime makefiles have unintended parallelism errors, though. Try the libunistring emerge again with:
Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge -1v libunistring
to see if that is the case here.

- John
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does not look like a parallelism bug to me. Rather, it looks like an upstream bug due to mismatched declarations. For some platforms, size_t might be a typedef alias for unsigned int, which would allow this to work despite being wrong. For others, it would alias some other type and this failure would occur. Preferably, the declarations should match exactly. Ideally, there should be exactly one declaration and exactly one definition, and those would match exactly.
thegreenhat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
Builds here error free with the same toolchain. Sometime makefiles have unintended parallelism errors, though. Try the libunistring emerge again with:
Code:
MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge -1v libunistring
to see if that is the case here.

- John

Not the case, still does not work :/.

Hu wrote:
That does not look like a parallelism bug to me. Rather, it looks like an upstream bug due to mismatched declarations. For some platforms, size_t might be a typedef alias for unsigned int, which would allow this to work despite being wrong. For others, it would alias some other type and this failure would occur. Preferably, the declarations should match exactly. Ideally, there should be exactly one declaration and exactly one definition, and those would match exactly.

What should I do though? Should I edit libunistring by myself?

*Notes*

To fix this issue just compile the 0.9.10 version :)
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it is fixed in a later version, encouraging stabilization of that version is probably the simplest solution.

If it were not fixed, I would suggest that you edit it yourself to verify that my explanation is correct and produces a working build. If it does, then bug upstream to fix it and supply your change as a demonstration of what is needed. You could also post the change here for our review/critique before going upstream if you are concerned about whether you did the right change.
thegreenhat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Since it is fixed in a later version, encouraging stabilization of that version is probably the simplest solution.

If it were not fixed, I would suggest that you edit it yourself to verify that my explanation is correct and produces a working build. If it does, then bug upstream to fix it and supply your change as a demonstration of what is needed. You could also post the change here for our review/critique before going upstream if you are concerned about whether you did the right change.

It might sounds a little agonizing, however, I do believe the issue is due to some miscellaneous components in my system.
Such assortment is causing many unique errors.
In my opinion, stabilization the latest version is a valid solution :)
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: an obnoxious issue with emerging libunistring-0.9.7 Reply with quote

thegreenhat wrote:
Solved :)

Please don't delete questions; others may be searching for an answer to whatever problem you had.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: