wpa_supplicant does not work
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgasgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: wpa_supplicant does not work Reply with quote

I am currently using wicd, and I tried to move to wpa_supplicant. It connects to my router, but for some reason there is no internet. Please, help me to find logs of wpa_supplicant. Information stated in gentoo wiki is obsolete, wpa_supplicant doesn't have debug use flag anymore.
sgasgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the logs: https://pastebin.com/E2vGA8qG
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgasgar ...

the debug useflag was removed (at my request), and debugging enabled by default ... as it doesn't increase the size of the binary, and would mean that when troubleshooting, reporting bugs, or making requests for assistance, the user wouldn't need to enable it and rebuild. So, '-d', '-dd', '-ddd', and '-f file' are available without you needing to do anything.

sgasgar wrote:
Here are the logs: https://pastebin.com/E2vGA8qG

Which shows the ASSOC as successful, and looks like you're not acquiring an ipv4 IP for some reason, or are not able to do DNS lookups over ipv6, most likely this is due to you not running a dhcp subsequent to the connection, or not assigning DNS in resolv.conf.

best ... khay
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Linux based wifi drivers do not behave or function the same or as well under Linux as opposed to windows due to adherence to radio signal wireless regulatory broadcast standards compliance. One example is using hostapd with 2.4 Ghz radio with some wifi chipsets the radio signal is automatically degraded if any other radio signals on a similar radio channel and frequency band are detected.

https://www.brunsware.de/blog/gentoo/hostapd-40mhz-disable-neighbor-check.html

This is naturally a large annoyance if you run your own self configured Linux based wifi access points

The point being that ensuring your access point is also not responsible and optimally configured should he a high priority. If you've never considered that physical building construction affects wifi radio performance and never used wifi analyzer with a mobile phone to optimize the ap's wifi radio config you could likely have other issues to troubleshoot before solely blaming software.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgfoGg-g9Sc

I used to help sysadmin a wireless isp in the Caribbean islands that ran off a 2.4 ghz mesh network and i'm sure as much as the next person that uses wireless networking that wifi signal on 2.4 ghz has become less than reliable in the past five years.

The log from wpa_supplicant is useful but it may not be the only reason wifi is not working.

If i could make a suggestion. provide some further information regarding your wifi setup and optimize your wifi ap radio config using the youtube video above as a guide.

Include dmesg output to show the kernel boot log, lspci and lsmod as well as relevant description of your wireless AP configuration and orientation from the pc, emerge --info and which Linux kernel config your using may be beneficial information to aid with diagnostic perspective.

Lastly do use https://bpaste.net it's a much easier to read pastebin and has no ads. trying to read a dmesg log on pastebin.com is eye cancer :)
Compile long and Prosper!
sgasgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khayyam wrote:

Which shows the ASSOC as successful, and looks like you're not acquiring an ipv4 IP for some reason, or are not able to do DNS lookups over ipv6, most likely this is due to you not running a dhcp subsequent to the connection, or not assigning DNS in resolv.conf.

Oh, thank you. I am a complete newbie when it comes to network.

On each reboot, resolv.conf changes. Sometimes it looks like this
Code:

# Generated by net-scripts for interface lo
nameserver 192.168.1.1

Sometimes like this
Code:

# Generated by dhcpcd
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

On this boot it looks like this and the connection with internet works somewhy
Code:

# Generated by dhcpcd from wlp2s0b1.dhcp, wlp2s0b1.ra
# /etc/resolv.conf.head can replace this line
domain localdomain
nameserver 192.168.1.1
nameserver 2a01:c22:3415:3200:b2ea:bcff:fe88:cf01
# /etc/resolv.conf.tail can replace this line

Here are two my dmesg's:
https://bpaste.net/show/b9d816bb4061
https://bpaste.net/show/f3b8c62cbdc2
The last one is when the connection works.

Here is /var/log/messages
https://bpaste.net/show/c78daae496b2

Please, help me to fix it.

Last edited by sgasgar on Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgasgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ali3nx wrote:
Include dmesg output to show the kernel boot log, lspci and lsmod as well as relevant description of your wireless AP configuration and orientation from the pc, emerge --info and which Linux kernel config your using may be beneficial information to aid with diagnostic perspective.

Thank you for responding, here they are
https://bpaste.net/show/1610bb78cd73

I don't know how to provide kernel config, I am using precompiled kernel provided by calculate linux.
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgasgar wrote:
I don't know how to provide kernel config, I am using precompiled kernel provided by calculate linux.

Considering all the things anyone could potentially do incorrectly when configuring gentoo at least mentioning this is beneficial perspective. I'm not familiar with calculate's kernel config but that kernel config must be more adequately prepared than a config created from scratch with menuconfig. even with decades of experience there are so many kernel feature options that omitting something important is entirely possible so being aware of the kernel config provider you are using can be a benefit when using gentoo or gentoo based distros.

I personally use the kernel config from sysrescuecd as a template for my more recent kernel configurations.

This is more or less what I was referring to.
sgasgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ali3nx,

Could you please check my other post in this thread? It looks like my problem has something to do with resolv.conf or so...
ali3nx
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgasgar wrote:
Dear ali3nx,

Could you please check my other post in this thread? It looks like my problem has something to do with resolv.conf or so...

I've been reading khayyam's comments and your replies. not getting a successful dhcp reply or dns configuration still could be caused by a poor wifi signal. there are honestly many reasons why that can happen. if your able to try connecting while sitting as close to your wifi router as possible to test if radio signal strength is possibly contributing to the issues.

Unless you do some diagnostic testing to eliminate those possibilities eliminating those possibilities as greatest common denominators for wifi connection or stability failures will still remain as the most common and significant potential reasons why wifi is not working.

Diagnostic testing anything greatly benefits from employing some strategy and process of elimination

Also unironically the ultimate fix for every wifi stability or connection failure is still an ethernet cable :wink:

Last edited by ali3nx on Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a dhcp client either in the rc setup or network scripts.
So I'm guessing wicd is starting a dhcp client on wpa connection and the dhcp client is dhcpcd.
I also see an ipv6 address, so the chances are that the ipv6 setup in dhcpcd finished before the ipv4 one and dhcpcd forked to the background.
wicd sees this, but as it cannot find an ipv4 address on the interface it thinks dhpcd failed and restarts things.

Some solutions.
* add `waitip 4` to /etc/dhcpcd.conf. This forces dhcpcd not to fork until an IPv4 address is finalised.
* use something other than wicd - like say dhcpcd-gtk or dhcpcd-qt.
* use something other than dhcpcd (but lets face it, no other client comes close to what dhcpcd can do).
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security to Unsupported Software. Not about Gentoo (but rather Calculate, a Gentoo derivative) so it fits better here.

- John
sgasgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear UberLord,

I have already added 'waitip4' and wicd works fine. The problem is with wpa_supplicant
sgasgar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear ali3nx,

wicd works perfectly, the connection is good and quick and signal is strong. The problem came out when I tried to switch from wicd to wpa_supplicant. I think if I could figure out why resolv.conf is different each time, it can lead to the solution.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wicd uses wpa_supplicant.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: