View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samidarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: [WILL NOT FIX] External monitor not detected on displayport Reply with quote

7 months ago my ThinkPad was able to detect my current external monitor (DELL) using displayport. The monitor and the wire I'm using are ok because it works perfectly well on another computer.

ThinkPad W530 with GC Nvidia K2000 quadro

I'm using x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-378.13

I'm always running the machine in discrete mode. No optimus or Bumblebee.

Today whatever I try xrandr always tells me DP-0 disconnected

my .config https://pastebin.com/hh9vjYE6

Last edited by samidarko on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard question to answer samidarko, but let's try

first i think there's nothing about display port in kernel, it's a port on graphic cards, so if anything need to handle it, it must comes from the card or its drivers.
you should look at xorg.log to see what nvidia says about it, thinking about it, nvidia may complains if some kernel options are not well set, but i didn't check them as i suppose the card is working, but only not with the display port monitor right?
samidarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The displayport is connected to the nvidia GC which is always enabled in the BIOS (discrete mode)

I didn't find any issue in the Xorg log

As a fact, when I plug my VGA cable I can see immediately my screen connected in xrandr but it's not the case with displayport.

I digged and went through a lot of docs and issues on the web and I'm almost starting to wonder if it's not port which is spoiled... I can see it in xrandr so the internal controller must be ok but the maybe the connection part is not
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a key combination to enable/disable external display? In any case, you can use SystemRescueCD to check if this is your Gentoo or hardware.
samidarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a nice shot @Jaglover

I used a Live CD (LMDE2). I could see displayports list when running xrandr so they were detected by the driver, makes sense?

I plugged the monitor to my thinkpad but displayport still appears disconnected in the output of xrandr

Could you please confirm that if I hotplug a displayport in my laptop it should automatically be visible from xrandr?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

connect it, boot up xorg with it connected, and show that xorg.log to see.
samidarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried 2 things:
- boot with Live CD from a Lenovo IdeaPad connected by a HDMI-HDMI wire (no displayport on this laptop) to external monitor => Success
- boot with Live CD from a Lenovo ThinkPad connected by a HDMI-mini-displayport (I changed the cable yesterday - Belkin brand) wire to external monitor => Fail

This my /var/log/Xorg.0.log :
https://gist.github.com/6fe218034759e80425aaae42e26e4b73
forrestfunk81
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use your Thinkpad with a docking station?

I also have some wired issues with Thinkpads, docking station and displayport. I use the Intel integrated graphics and currently ignore the Nvidia GPU completely. Connecting the external monitor via DVI to the docking station always works, connecting it via HDMI to the docking station mostly works (fails about 1 out of 10), connecting it via HDMI to the Thinkpad directly always works, connecting it via displayport to the docking station hardly works (works 1 out of 10). I have no solution to this, I tested two different docking stations, three gentoo-sources kernel versions and this also happens with an Ubuntu installation on the same laptop and an Ubuntu installation on my collegues laptop.

You will find many threads when googling about 'Thinkpad displayport not working'. My current workaround is just using DVI or HDMI.

PS: It is not an X or Xrandr issue, this already happens after the kernel has started with no X involved.
Maitreya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forrestfunk81 wrote:
Do you use your Thinkpad with a docking station?

I also have some wired issues with Thinkpads, docking station and displayport. I use the Intel integrated graphics and currently ignore the Nvidia GPU completely. Connecting the external monitor via DVI to the docking station always works, connecting it via HDMI to the docking station mostly works (fails about 1 out of 10), connecting it via HDMI to the Thinkpad directly always works, connecting it via displayport to the docking station hardly works (works 1 out of 10). I have no solution to this, I tested two different docking stations, three gentoo-sources kernel versions and this also happens with an Ubuntu installation on the same laptop and an Ubuntu installation on my collegues laptop.

You will find many threads when googling about 'Thinkpad displayport not working'. My current workaround is just using DVI or HDMI.

PS: It is not an X or Xrandr issue, this already happens after the kernel has started with no X involved.

Had to do the same at work today. The whole bumblebee/GFXswitching does not play well (at all) with the external docking station. also the nvidia card never gave me any real advantage and just uses more power.
samidarko
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for your help. I just gave up on this. I'm using VGA for a while now. I actually consider that might be the port itself which is spoiled.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: