Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
grub2-mkconfig suddenly not seeing win7 partition?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:13 am    Post subject: grub2-mkconfig suddenly not seeing win7 partition? Reply with quote

I have successfully done numerous kernel and subsequent grub updates at this point with no issue on my dual boot box.

Has always been straightforward. Compile new kernel, run
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
, grub would find Linux stuff and windows stuff and write to config. But this last kernel grub2-mkconfig is not finding my windows partitions at all. I am not sure what is going on. Any ideas?
bobbymcgee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

>sys-boot/os-prober-1.71 requires device-mapper

guess they forgot why it was there for so long :)
https://bugs.gentoo.org/655648
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbymcgee wrote:
>sys-boot/os-prober-1.71 requires device-mapper

guess they forgot why it was there for so long :)
https://bugs.gentoo.org/655648

So what options do I have to resolve my immediate problem until they fix it?
bobbymcgee
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

create a local repo with 1.71 or emerge lvm2/enable device-mapper support in kernel
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbymcgee wrote:
create a local repo with 1.71 or emerge lvm2/enable device-mapper support in kernel

Thanks. They still haven't fixed grub and I need to deal with this, Kind of urgent now. But, I am a bit lost though. I don't see a wiki for creating local repos and not sure what you mean by emerge lvm with device mapper support.

Code:
# emerge -pv lvm2

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.145-r2::gentoo  USE="readline thin udev (-clvm) (-cman) -corosync -device-mapper-only -lvm1 -lvm2create_initrd -openais (-selinux) -static -static-libs -systemd" 0 KiB

Should I be changing this to device-mapper-only and if I do so when I run grub config it will find my partitions?
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbymcgee's post needs additional grammatical markers. I believe his instructions were meant to be parsed as:
  • create a local repo with 1.71 OR
    • emerge lvm2 AND
    • enable device-mapper support in kernel
I do not know whether those instructions are correct in this context, but they at least line up with the set of things you can do. Device mapper support is a configurable feature in the kernel, controlled by the Kconfig symbol BLK_DEV_DM.
drivers/md/Kconfig:
config BLK_DEV_DM
   tristate "Device mapper support"
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
bobbymcgee's post needs additional grammatical markers. I believe his instructions were meant to be parsed as:
  • create a local repo with 1.71 OR
    • emerge lvm2 AND
    • enable device-mapper support in kernel
I do not know whether those instructions are correct in this context, but they at least line up with the set of things you can do. Device mapper support is a configurable feature in the kernel, controlled by the Kconfig symbol BLK_DEV_DM.
drivers/md/Kconfig:
config BLK_DEV_DM
   tristate "Device mapper support"

Thanks, Hu. That makes sense. Unfortunately, it seems I already had it in the kernel config and am using lvm2.

Code:
$ cat /usr/src/linux-`uname -r`/.config | grep -i BLK_DEV_DM
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM_BUILTIN=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_DM=y

Trying to sort out how to do a local repo now.

I find it hard to believe that I am the only one affected by this change. Is there anything I can do to motivate the grub2 group to get this fixed? There is nothing more frustrating than when long existing functionality just "disappears".
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the local repository, it is better known as a local Portage overlay. Using that as a guide, one of my first hits on Google was https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ebuild_repository, which looks promising, particularly the link at the bottom to the handbook page Defining a custom repository.

Sorry, I have no advice with regard to getting this fixed in grub. I abandoned grub because grub2 looked overly complicated for what I wanted.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
For the local repository, it is better known as a local Portage overlay. Using that as a guide, one of my first hits on Google was https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Ebuild_repository, which looks promising, particularly the link at the bottom to the handbook page Defining a custom repository.

Sorry, I have no advice with regard to getting this fixed in grub. I abandoned grub because grub2 looked overly complicated for what I wanted.

Thanks again for the clarification. This will be my weekend project. But out of curiosity, what are you using in lieu of grub(2)?
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Budoka
I am having no problem with ~amd64 versions of grub, os-prober, lvm2, and ntfs3g seeing windows in a multiboot environment. I am booting UEFI and running openrc not systemd.
Recommend:
Code:
emerge wgetpaste
emerge -pv --with-bdeps=y lvm2 grub os-prober ntfs3g | wgetpaste -t
os-prober | wgetpaste  -t
Which produces
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] sys-boot/grub-2.02-r1:2/2.02-r1::gentoo  USE="fonts mount nls sdl themes truetype -debug -device-mapper -doc -efiemu -libzfs -multislot -static {-test}" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64 -coreboot -efi-32 -emu -ieee1275 -loongson -multiboot -pc -qemu -qemu-mips -uboot -xen -xen-32" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.166-r2::gentoo  USE="readline thin udev -clvm -cman -corosync -device-mapper-only -lvm1 -lvm2create_initrd -openais -sanlock (-selinux) -static -static-libs -systemd" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/ntfs3g-2017.3.23:0/87::gentoo  USE="acl external-fuse ntfsprogs xattr -debug -ntfsdecrypt -static-libs -suid" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-boot/os-prober-1.76-r1::gentoo  0 KiB
Total: 4 packages (4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 KiB
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
/dev/nvme0n1p2@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi
here. Using wgetpaste and posting the urls returned here will provide information needed to better guess your problem. If you are not using UEFI, "GRUB_PLATORMS= " and os-prober output will have obvious differences.

Suggest comparing your output versus mine; I think you should see 4 reinstalls, recommend using testing branch for all four, recommend identify reasons for variations between your and my USE flags.

Notes: none of the 1.71, the 1.74, or the 1.76-r1 ebuilds have a device-mapper, device-mapper-only, or lvm dependency.
running ufed and looking for device-mapper finds that it may be specified for grub (and lilo and parted and crio and docker)
running ufed and looking for device-mapper-only finds that it may be specified for lvm2
https://bugs.gentoo.org/655648 is just a stabilisation bug, I find no os-prober fails gentoo bug reports.
Hu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use syslinux (extlinux for BIOS boot; efilinux for UEFI boot). I've been very happy with them, but please don't take this as advice that you should abandon grub if you think you can make it do what you want.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
@ Budoka
I am having no problem with ~amd64 versions of grub, os-prober, lvm2, and ntfs3g seeing windows in a multiboot environment. I am booting UEFI and running openrc not systemd.
Recommend:
Code:
emerge wgetpaste
emerge -pv --with-bdeps=y lvm2 grub os-prober ntfs3g | wgetpaste -t
os-prober | wgetpaste  -t
Which produces
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] sys-boot/grub-2.02-r1:2/2.02-r1::gentoo  USE="fonts mount nls sdl themes truetype -debug -device-mapper -doc -efiemu -libzfs -multislot -static {-test}" GRUB_PLATFORMS="efi-64 -coreboot -efi-32 -emu -ieee1275 -loongson -multiboot -pc -qemu -qemu-mips -uboot -xen -xen-32" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.166-r2::gentoo  USE="readline thin udev -clvm -cman -corosync -device-mapper-only -lvm1 -lvm2create_initrd -openais -sanlock (-selinux) -static -static-libs -systemd" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/ntfs3g-2017.3.23:0/87::gentoo  USE="acl external-fuse ntfsprogs xattr -debug -ntfsdecrypt -static-libs -suid" 0 KiB
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
/dev/nvme0n1p2@/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi
here. Using wgetpaste and posting the urls returned here will provide information needed to better guess your problem. If you are not using UEFI, "GRUB_PLATORMS= " and os-prober output will have obvious differences.

Suggest comparing your output versus mine; I think you should see 4 reinstalls, recommend using testing branch for all four, recommend identify reasons for variations between your and my USE flags.

Notes: none of the 1.71, the 1.74, or the 1.76-r1 ebuilds have a device-mapper, device-mapper-only, or lvm dependency.
running ufed and looking for device-mapper finds that it may be specified for grub (and lilo and parted and crio and docker)
running ufed and looking for device-mapper-only finds that it may be specified for lvm2
https://bugs.gentoo.org/655648 is just a stabilisation bug, I find no os-prober fails gentoo bug reports.

Looks pretty much the same with the exception that I have "PC". I am guessing because my box isn't UEFI. I also don't have the failed to connect error.

I really haven't done anything differently than I have done before multiple times when compiling a new kernel and running
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
so am really at a loss/confused by the glitch this time around.

Code:
$ emerge -pv --with-bdeps=y lvm2 grub os-prober ntfs3g | wgetpaste -t

Calculating dependencies  .... done!
[ebuild   R    ] sys-boot/grub-2.02-r1:2/2.02-r1::gentoo  USE="fonts mount multislot nls sdl themes truetype -debug -device-mapper -doc -efiemu -libzfs -static {-test}" GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc -coreboot -efi-32 -efi-64 -emu -ieee1275 -loongson -multiboot -qemu -qemu-mips -uboot -xen -xen-32" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/lvm2-2.02.145-r2::gentoo  USE="readline thin udev (-clvm) (-cman) -corosync -device-mapper-only -lvm1 -lvm2create_initrd -openais (-selinux) -static -static-libs -systemd" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] sys-fs/ntfs3g-2016.2.22-r2:0/87::gentoo  USE="acl external-fuse ntfsprogs xattr -debug -ntfsdecrypt -static-libs -suid" 0 KiB

[url]Your paste can be seen here: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/JiVsVYXUU3tl9IXdT1LW/ [/url]
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
I use syslinux (extlinux for BIOS boot; efilinux for UEFI boot). I've been very happy with them, but please don't take this as advice that you should abandon grub if you think you can make it do what you want.

Thanks, Hu. To date with the exception of a small hiccup way back when grub has served me well. So I will try to stick with it. But will look at Syslinux as well if this issue turns into more of a headache than it is worth. Of course ideally, I would like to not be dual booting but unfortunately, need the windows partition because of office nonsense.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suggest add "sys-boot/grub device-mapper" to /etc/portage/package.use and emerge grub, reinstall grub, and remake grub.cfg

Delayed question:
You wrote:
I also don't have the failed to connect error.
Did you run the line
Code:
os-prober | wgetpaste -t
If so, did os-prober find your windows and output something resembling
Quote:
/dev/sda2/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi
but for legacy Bios?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
suggest add "sys-boot/grub device-mapper" to /etc/portage/package.use and emerge grub, reinstall grub, and remake grub.cfg

Delayed question:
You wrote:
I also don't have the failed to connect error.
Did you run the line
Code:
os-prober | wgetpaste -t
If so, did os-prober find your windows and output something resembling
Quote:
/dev/sda2/efi/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi:Windows Boot Manager:Windows:efi
but for legacy Bios?

Added sys-boot/grub device-mapper to /etc/portage/package.use and re-emerged, reinstalled grub, reinstall grub, and rewrote grub.cfg but didn't resolve the issue.

os-prober returns null.

But the NTFS partitions are there on sda1 and sda2.

Code:
Device     Boot      Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1  *          2048     206847     204800   100M  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2           206848  212019199  211812352   101G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda3        212019200 1908707327 1696688128   809G  f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sda4       1908707328 1953521663   44814336  21.4G  2 XENIX root
/dev/sda5        212021248  230985727   18964480     9G  7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda6        230987776  231397375     409600   200M 83 Linux
/dev/sda7        231399424 1908707327 1677307904 799.8G 83 Linux
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a time when windows partitions needed to be mounted in order for grub-mkconfig/os-prober to find windows, IIRC. You might try mounting them and running os-prober and/or grub-mkconfig to check for a regression.
Have you considered using sys-boot/grub-static (legacy grub)?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
There was a time when windows partitions needed to be mounted in order for grub-mkconfig/os-prober to find windows, IIRC. You might try mounting them and running os-prober and/or grub-mkconfig to check for a regression.
Have you considered using sys-boot/grub-static (legacy grub)?

I'll use anything that will work...and continue to do so. I am not sure what has happened this time around. It just suddenly "stopped" seeing the win partitions. Very close to dumping Gentoo and rescuing with Win7 disk which I really rather not have to do but I MUST get into this partition at this point.

Anyway, can you clarify what you mean by check for regression and how do I do that?
paultschi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problem. BIOS dual boot with Gentoo and Win 10. Everything worked until I installed the last update. Grub2 does not see the windows partition anymore. os-prober returns nothing. Would also be interested in a solution.
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ both:
try mounting the windows partitions and then running os-prober followed by grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
any change in results?
@ Budoka:
an earlier suggestion by bobbymcgee was to build a local repository for sys-boot/os-prober-1.71 and see if that still worked, any luck with that?
@ paultschi
are you using lvm?
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
@ both:
try mounting the windows partitions and then running os-prober followed by grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
any change in results?
@ Budoka:
an earlier suggestion by bobbymcgee was to build a local repository for sys-boot/os-prober-1.71 and see if that still worked, any luck with that?
@ paultschi
are you using lvm?

Thanks Donahue. I will try both tonight and post update.
paultschi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DONAHUE wrote:
@ both:
any change in results?
@ Budoka:
@ paultschi
are you using lvm?

Thanks Donahue for looking into this. os-prober seems to be generally non-functional as I can not even get it to show me a help text. I installed lvm2, because grub started to complain about it, while still finding the windows partition. Now grub does not complain anymore, but neither does it find the windows partition. I don't know whether it is relevant, but windows resides on a separate disk.
Budoka
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. When mounting those partitions os-prober and grub config see the partitions. I am still not sure what changed though. I have never had to manually mount those partitions in the past...and it has been a good couple of years now that I have been using this method.

I will still try to create a local rep for the previous version of grub to test if this is something that changed in Grub or someplace else.

Would also add that I have the same issue that paultschi has with os-prober returning null when asking for help text etc.

more to come...
paultschi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Budoka as a quick fix paste this into /etc/grub.d/40_custom with obvious modifications
Code:
menuentry "Windows 10" {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set root='(hd1,msdos1)'
chainloader +1
}

In my case, windows is installed on /dev/sdb (the second hard disk). The first would be hd0. This will allow you to boot windows until the automatic detection becomes functional again.
After editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom run
Code:
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

after mounting your /boot
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I r esurrected a decade old windows 7 machine, added an external msdos labeled hard drive, installed gentoo on the external, emerged grub and ntfs3g. When I attempted to emerge os-prober, the emerge refused to proceed until I added a mount use flag to /etc/portage/package.use for grub. After the mount use flag was added, running emerge os-prober caused grub to reinstall and os-prober to install. os-prober then found both win 7 on sda2 and gentoo on sdb1 with the windows partitions not mounted. Then grub-install /dev/sdb ran with no problems. With the windows partition still not mounted, grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg ran with no problems creating 3 gentoo boot menu choices and 1 windows 7 menu choice.
Theory:
between the last time grub-mkconfig worked for you to handle win7 and when it stopped:
the mount use flag was added or its mode of operation changed:
emerge -avuND world changed the library files:
until grub-install /dev/??? runs the libraries and action files are not synchonized:
I think
Code:
emerge -C grub ntfs3g os-prober #for cleanup
echo "sys-boot/grub mount" >> /etc/portage/package.use
emerge grub ntfs3g os-prober
grub-install /dev/sdb #replace sdb if gentoo drive is not sdb
os-prober
mount /boot # if separate boot partition in use
grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
might eliminate the need to mount the windows partition.

;
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: