Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] /etc/portage/package.use/ - 1 file or many?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] /etc/portage/package.use/ - 1 file or many? Reply with quote

Hi, all,

I'm configuring Gentoo on my desktop (clean install) for lvm and non-EFI boot (BIOS based machine). I've run into messages thus far that have me make USE flag exceptions in /etc/portage/package.use/ - as such I've been making each one as a separate file, usuailly using the short pakcage name as the file name and putting the full pakcage name and USE flag inside that file e.g. for >={family}/foo="{USEflag} I do `nano -w /etc/portage/package.use/foo' and inside I put in
Code:
 {family}/foo {USEflag}
- and it seems to have worked fine thus far.

In looking at the LVM wiki, though, it mentions putting the one exception USE flag for grub2 into /etc/portage/package.use/package.use via an echo, as such
Code:
echo 'sys-boot/grub:2 device-mapper' >> /etc/portage/package.use/package.use
- so, should I use that one file for all of my USE file exceptions, instead of individual files for each package?

I'm trying to find where I originally came across the single file method I'm using now - I think it was in one of the stub articles, where it ssaid to make a file if /etc/portage/package.use/ was a pre-existing directory instead of being a file like /etc/portage/package.use...

Or, does it matter at all?
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.

Last edited by johngalt on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's purely personal preference, documented in "man portage":
Quote:
/etc/portage/
    Files in this directory including make.conf, repos.conf, and any file with a name that begins with "package." can be more than just a flat file. If it is a directory, then all the files in that directory will be sorted in ascending alphabetical order by file name and summed together as if it were a single file.
- John
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh. OK, that makes sense. I was thinknig along completley differnet lines when I read that line last week - now, taken in context of what I am doing, it imakes sense.

I suppose to make it a lot easier to deal with, I should probably put it all in a single file - at least that is my preference - being able to see it all at one time.

Thanks, John.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you get used to using files inside the /etc/portage/package.use/ directory instead of declaring everything in a single file /etc/portage/package.use or (/etc/portage/package.use/package.use), it's not such a bad way of doing things and can be quite helpful sometimes. You can create files with whatever name you want, and declare whatever packages you want inside them, bearing in mind the ascending alphabetical order of the filenames, of course. The only thing to watch out for is declaring the same package in more than one file, but I don't find that an issue really. After all it's not a big deal to check. For example:

Code:
$ grep thunderbird /etc/portage/package.use/*
/etc/portage/package.use/thunderbird:mail-client/thunderbird lightning
/etc/portage/package.use/world:# required by mail-client/thunderbird-31.7.0::gentoo
/etc/portage/package.use/world:# required by mail-client/thunderbird-45.1.0::gentoo

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've two machines, a desktop which is also a BINHOST, and a laptop that gets most of its packages from the desktop. The desktop has package.use/01use; the laptop rsync's that file (and other bits of /etc/portage) when it emerge --sync's, and has overrides in package.use/02use.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Fitzcarraldo - Thanks for the advice - I'm configuring 3 different machines, 1 Dell laptop (Celeron 1007u CPU-based), 1 Lenovo laptop (AMD A6-5350M CPU based), and my desktop, which currently it an old Core i7 965 EE based machine on an eVGA X58 mobo using BIOS. So, at least for the beginning configuration parts, I'm trying to keep as much uniformity between the three as possible - making setup a lot easier. Add to that the fact that the Dell is truly headless (cut SRCD auto finds the wired connection, so all I have to do is set root pw and assign it to a screen, and then I do everything else form he desktop SSH into it) - and it gets to be a nightmare.

I originally had them in separate files, but concatenated them into one - now, I'm beginning to see how it would have been better for me to keep them separate, just for the sake of keeping everything sane for me (in that 1 long list is a lot easier to miss something than a list of files with a single setting in each, at least for me).

It's not the end of the world - I'm only looking at about 12-15 right now, so it is easy enough to separate them back.

Th alphabetized filenames for individual file use - is that of any sort of significance? My gut says that I'll just need to be careful in case something needs to be loaded prior to another item - but my gut also says that it seems more logical that portage loads everything in the directory every time an emerge is called, so I'm confused....

@Goverp - After I get my head wrapped around everything I want to set up on all three machines, and get the Dell's screen replaced, I might (possibly) look into that - after all, 1 download from the web and serving everything else via local network certainly is a better strategy. Of course, that is not within my purview right now - I'm basically a n00b who just has no fear - and is willing to do things the wrong way to figure out why they are considered the wrong way lol.

I'm assuming that the way that works is that you have a combined list of packages and such from both machines, and that is all that you actually keep up to date, correct? (I mean, my gut tells me that you're not harboring all 19K+ packages lol). Sounds like an interesting concept.

Amen.
P.Kosunen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John R. Graham wrote:
It's purely personal preference, documented in "man portage":
Quote:
/etc/portage/
    Files in this directory including make.conf, repos.conf, and any file with a name that begins with "package." can be more than just a flat file. If it is a directory, then all the files in that directory will be sorted in ascending alphabetical order by file name and summed together as if it were a single file.
- John

/etc/portage/package.use.d/ and /etc/portage/package.use file etc would be nicer.
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why pollute the upper namespace and make tab completion even less effective by having separate .d directories?
Fitzcarraldo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt wrote:
Th alphabetized filenames for individual file use - is that of any sort of significance? My gut says that I'll just need to be careful in case something needs to be loaded prior to another item - but my gut also says that it seems more logical that portage loads everything in the directory every time an emerge is called, so I'm confused....

It's not a big deal, you just need to avoid situations such as the following hypothetical example:

Code:
$ grep bluray /etc/portage/package.use/*
/etc/portage/package.use/my_media_players:media-video/vlc bluray
/etc/portage/package.use/zzzzzz:media-video/vlc -bluray

As the file 'zzzzzz' in the above example is parsed after the file 'my_media_players', the second instance of the bluray USE flag would override the first instance of the bluray USE flag, so the vlc package would be built using USE="-bluray".

Fitzcarraldo's blog
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Why pollute the upper namespace and make tab completion even less effective by having separate .d directories?

If we were changing the file layout, the first thing I'd do is remove the stupid "package." prefix from all of them entirely.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzcarraldo wrote:
johngalt wrote:

It's not a big deal, you just need to avoid situations such as the following hypothetical example:

Code:
$ grep bluray /etc/portage/package.use/*
/etc/portage/package.use/my_media_players:media-video/vlc bluray
/etc/portage/package.use/zzzzzz:media-video/vlc -bluray

As the file 'zzzzzz' in the above example is parsed after the file 'my_media_players', the second instance of the bluray USE flag would override the first instance of the bluray USE flag, so the vlc package would be built using USE="-bluray".

Ha! Thanks.

I didn't consider having opposing USE flags.

Amen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: