Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Some options in 'Create New VM' disabled in Virt-manager ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnuradhaY
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Some options in 'Create New VM' disabled in Virt-manager ? Reply with quote

Hello Sakaki

I am facing this issue with virt-manager (used to create VMs) on Pi3 B+.I have used your custom kernel of Xfce Gentoo ,available in your post's links.
virt-manager GUI opens , choose File>New Virtual Machine,
now the entries are as below:
-----------------------------------------------
Connection is "QEMU/KVM"

Choose how you would like to install the operating system:
- Local install media(ISO image or CDROM)
- Network Install(HTTP, FTP or NFS)
- Network Boot(PXE)
(.) Import existing disk image
-----------------------------------------------
I get the first 3 above mentioned options greyed out.Only the last (which is 'Import existing disk image') is available.

Please suggest , how to enable create a new image by enabling the initial options.

Regards
Anu
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAUTION: I am no expert in virtual environments, so please excuse my possible wrongness at times below

I have used virt-manager myself, on one or two occassions, and if I remember correct that is just the C library front end to one of the other programs like QEMU or whatever which is actually a very powerful application that will almost certainly contain a solution for your issue with certain items being unavailable or what have you.

Let's dissect the issue, when you attemt to install using virt-manager (on your Pi) you get to a screen that has this option enabled:
Quote:
v(.) Import existing disk image

And these options are disabled:
Quote:
- Local install media(ISO image or CDROM)
- Network Install(HTTP, FTP or NFS)
- Network Boot(PXE)

Here are the first few ideas I would just recommend checking:
1) A network option (like PXE or HTTP) all require an important piece of virtual hardware which is a Network Card (usually setup as either NAT or some kind of VPN configuration between the host with a real IP address and internet connection)...My point is that if your virtual machine is without the network interface then just like a physical laptop or desktop without a network device the reason for the application graying it out is so that it doesn't actually freeze and stop working but just allows you to select a different method. (Check the network interface for the machine settings)
2) The Local install media, as an ISO or CDROM can be a tricky thing, but it is no more complicated then the network adapter point I just made. That is usually and not always the option exists at the virtual machine to include something like a disk or another media (CDROM device, or whatever). Again you need to check if this option is disabled and tat is perhaps why the option isn't available
3) The last thing is given that I myself have claimed to not be an expert, and it is impossible to guess at what level of comfort you yourself are with in terms of QEMU or other KVM machines, so why don't you explain briefly what it is that you are actually trying to do, and that will usually be easier than trying to diagnose something that probably isn't a problem in the first place. E.g. Are you interested in creating a new virtual machine from a ISO, or are you actually interested in booting from the network. Both problems could be equally easy or not to solve, but taking them both together is generally not helpful.

Hope this helps, and be sure to comment on your already knowing the stuff mentioned here about virt-manager or Qemu if you don't feel this is helpful at all then i'm sorry. Hopefully that isn't the case though :-)
AnuradhaY
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI LIsLinuxIsSOgood

Firstly , thank you for your response.

Yes, my intention is to create VM(s) on the Gentoo based on ARM processor.From my understanding too, virt-manager is a front end(Python libraries) for QEMU/XEN and others.
Earlier ,on x86 platform , I was able to create new VM from ISO, but here that option is greyed out. Is there a way , to create a VM from ISO on ARM (keeping Gentoo as the base OS here).
KVM is enabled (/dev/kvm exists) , QEMU also is there.

How do I proceed to create a new VM say a Debian or Android VM.

Regards
Anu
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

certain platforms are only set up to launch preinstalled images. i tried sparc and some others a couple months ago and it was the same way. you can probably get it to work if you ditch virt-manager but i'm no qemu expert.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AnuradhaY,

I've got as far as you. The other options need some UEFI firmware for the guest.
The Pi doesn't have UEFI firmware that can be borrowed. There is a package out there and there is a gentoo versions for amd64.
It contains a binary blob, so that isn't going to work on arm64. Further, the project does have an arm64 version but I've not tried building it yet.

I think you need the arm64 version of edk2-ovmf/edk2-ovmf-2017_p20180211.ebuild but like I say, this is only theory on my part.
Its on my to do list.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I am not an expert in VM's by any standard, but I find it is the kind of thing (in light of Neddy points about the lack of localized firmware especially) that requires some real thinking about, for example if your options seem limited on the Raspberry Pi it could be because an ARM processor is really not much to "boast" in terms of resources it has and if you could put your effort into another solution, perhaps it would be an improved one, with or without virtualization (which is a relatively resource heavy situation you want to consider that).

There may be other methods to getting where you want with the installation of another OS. One could involve networking another device, or another is running a chroot for another environment, which I actually use on my Gentoo laptop to simultaneously access the other OS programs by paying careful attention to things like what environment I am working in and then be sure to clean up the mounts tending to pile up from binding different folders in numerous file systems (it can be a mess, but somehow it basically works when it does, and if not then I can always boot back into the other systems). The toughest point there can be either the mounting, which can be handled with scripts, but also the access to basic system resources like audio and video for GUI (X11) and things like that.

If I were you I would consider the thought of buying a cheap laptop to run a full installation of linux you want, and then instead of QEMU you COULD rely on a network protocol to access it like VNC.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: