I just depcleaned 164 packages...HELP [CLOSED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject: I just depcleaned 164 packages...HELP [CLOSED] Reply with quote

I know that many of the packages that were probably just removed after running a complete update on this system are either programs I just installed for a one time need or something sort of like that. I wonder why I just let the 5 seconds go by instead of killing the countdown before it unmerged since I saw it was going to be a lot of packages. To be honest I am not sure what half of these packages have to do with. I am aware that there would be a way to looking up the answer if I was prepared to type it into google 163 times or whatever.

This is really frustrating because it is the second time this week I thought I lost the Firefox browser (which I know takes about 4 hours to compile on my machine, which is fairly inconvenient given that it is a laptop which makes it likely to be interrupted often with startinng and stopping and leaving or taking it with me etc.). This time the browser is actually gone! Which is weird I guess because I actually have it open at the moment to write this post!

In the end, this will just be another reason to start using the binary package store on my desktop machine for this situations and others like it.

The entire last day I spent compiling code, so it doesn't make sense unless I want to repeat all that work to restore a previous backup. Assuming that I am stuck having to "recompile" this list of packages, where and how would I start. Do I just pass them all along in the command shell? Or would it make sense to add them to a file first and then tell Portage to merge all the packages in that set...Which packages in this list are the dev-*/* or x11-*/* packages and are they generally necessary/unnecessary? Here's the list of packages...that were unmerged. https://paste.pound-python.org/show/t3ZextLTa4ZXO9ULLm1S/

Basically what I am looking for is someone to take a quick look down this list for things that I should probably reinstall....
Considering that I am trying to make for a good general purpose user + developer type of platform environment, which languages, and libraries etc. need to be included again.
Alternatively, if it makes sense perhaps what I would do is reinstall everything, or else restore from a recent backup and run --noreplace before doing the --depclean in the future. Any suggestions for what to do next?

Last edited by LIsLinuxIsSogood on Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood ...

when I look at that 'qlop -u' output I'm inclined to thing you're reading it wrong, yes, there were packages unmerged, but you're not seeing 'qlop -l', those packages that were not removed, per se, but updated, eg:

Code:
# qlop -lu | grep 'sys-libs/glibc' | tail -n 2
Sun Apr  8 07:30:04 2018 <<< sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r10
Sun Apr  8 07:30:14 2018 >>> sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r11

So, your "164 packages" may be far less.

best ... khay
John R. Graham
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood,

Regarding firefox being missing, have you been emerging new things that you want to keep with the -1 or --oneshot option?

- John
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood - maybe you should set
Code:
FEATURES="buildpkg"
in your make.conf so recovery from things like this will be easier.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood,

Code:
Wed Jun 20 00:29:54 2018 <<< sys-libs/glibc-2.27-r3
Thats a library that everything uses. Its been a long time since --depclean ripped that out.
Code:
Wed Jun 20 04:36:49 2018 <<< dev-lang/rust-1.26.1
there is a newer rust too.

Looking at your times
Code:
Wed Jun 20 02:45:56 2018 <<< dev-python/pycairo-1.16.3-r1
Wed Jun 20 04:36:49 2018 <<< dev-lang/rust-1.26.1
its taken two hours to remove something.
That looks like an update and an old version being removed. --depclean is not that slow.

At the bottom of the list is
Code:
Wed Jun 20 12:53:57 2018 <<< sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0
Wed Jun 20 12:54:01 2018 <<< sys-devel/gcc-7.2.0-r1
Wed Jun 20 12:54:06 2018 <<< sys-devel/clang-5.0.1
Wed Jun 20 12:54:48 2018 <<< dev-lang/python-3.4.6-r1
some of which may be --depclean.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good catch Neddy about the timestamps, yes other udates were running, but just one depclean at around the time of whenever the last packages in the list (so I guess around 12:55pm today PST). I didn't know that the unmerge history would also show the results of the previous updates, so that does answer some of the concerns. The buildpkg USE flag is definitely something I will consider, but I am working on a system that is very strapped for space (total 240GB, which after you account for a second operating system, and a couple of partitions for Wine and other software like that it doesn't leave a ton of room to mess with). Would the buildpkg result be able to be moved onto an external HD afterwards via some simple cp or rsync?

Thanks all for the input about the situation, but unfortunately the 164 packages I actually watched them get removed, which means I could have stopped it any time :)
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Regarding firefox being missing, have you been emerging new things that you want to keep with the -1 or --oneshot option?

The answer to this question is Yes/No. Yes it was the practice I had to generlaly emerge lots of new stuff with -1 option thinking that if I really need it later and it gets removed like now I could rebuild it always (oops). But oddly enough that is not actually what happened with Firefox, which I was attempting to bypass in the last round of updates so I manually ran --deselect on that package (bigger oops).
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you use --exclude for that.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point...closed due to user error
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FEATURES=buildpkg writes to $PKGDIR, so if you have external storage you would prefer to use, you can point Portage to it by setting PKGDIR in make.conf. Take care that the storage is available during any build with FEATURES=buildpkg though.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've gone ahead and implented the PKGDIR on an external NFS share...would the reason for a sshfs share work better perhaps be due to the following errors:

Code:
[Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/nfs/Built-on-Laptop/.Packages.portage_lockfile': chown('/nfs/Built-on-Laptop/.Packages.portage_lockfile', -1, 250)
Cannot chown a lockfile: '/nfs/Built-on-Laptop/.Packages.portage_lockfile'
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The use case for sshfs and NFS is different. NFS does not provide transport layer security. If that does not matter to you, I would recommend NFS as it is older and designed for multi-user access.

That error looks like you enabled root squashing.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: I just depcleaned 164 packages...HELP [CLOSED] Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
To be honest I am not sure what half of these packages have to do with. I am aware that there would be a way to looking up the answer if I was prepared to type it into google 163 times or whatever.

It's what i have describe myself here with
krinn wrote:
When you see a package you have no idea what it is for, you should somehow a few check what it is for (some emerge -s pck or equery d pck) and try to figure out "if i remove this one, will everything will be ok?"
It is in real a pain to check them all, and users EVEN when they are using pretend or ask with depclean are seeing "hey, i'm about to remove dev-libs/mpfr, that's ok?" are just hitting the yes button.

That's a thread you should read, where asturm and i were having a good discussion about depclean, it's worth reading, because i think, even if you took the discussion apart (if you're not interest by the "depclean is just a space saver" concept), it should en-light about depclean use, issues (including that, for me, users are wrongly push to assume this tool as not optional), and some hints to handle them.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krinn, agreed I will look at the thread definitely but this brings up another point itself about access to these alternative ideas to whatever ideas might be present on the wiki in general. So far the update is I just enabled buildpkg in order to make the future cases easier, and I've reinstalled just about a dozen or more packages (so not all of them yet...and I'm still waiting to maybe see about using the list as a emerge --oneshot again for now in case recovering my old system is of interest). So far I have not used the -1 option to reinstall firefox, which included about 10 other dependent packages that were removed as a result of my running depclean after removing it from the world set.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: