Reccos for new wireless bridge with eth ports
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reccos for new wireless bridge with eth ports Reply with quote

I need to replace an old Linksys I've been using as a wireless bridge to my cable modem/router to connect other computers via ethernet. I need all four ports on the Linksys and some of them are dead now.

I'm looking for recommendations on an inexpensive replacement. I just need to wirelessly bridge to my cable modem/router and use the bridge's ethernet ports.

If I can bridge using my cable modem/router's 5G, that would be great, but it's not a deal-breaker.

EDIT:

My local Best Buy has an AC1900 in stock. The online manual for it details using it for exactly this purpose. Any comments on this model?
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to clarify what you're trying to do. If I can't understand it, there are probably others who can't either. What you've described is connecting two wired networks via WiFi. Since that's an unlikely need, I am assuming I misunderstand. Since I misunderstand, I suggest you clarify.
Marcih
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
You need to clarify what you're trying to do. If I can't understand it, there are probably others who can't either. What you've described is connecting two wired networks via WiFi. Since that's an unlikely need, I am assuming I misunderstand. Since I misunderstand, I suggest you clarify.

I think you understood correctly. Think something like this but a dedicated router to do the job because he needs to have wired network ports on it. In which case I'd probably recommend getting a network switch and connecting it to one of the still-working ports on your LinkSys. If you're happy with it then try to get as much out of it as you can; I always found anything to do with the magic Wi of the Fi to be very much hit&miss whereas switches are cheap and even the low-end stuff tends to be fairly reliable.
erm67
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a nice, regular managed switch with jumbo frames and all whistle and bells than buy an ubiquity AP and and set it up as wireless uplink, the best possible setup.

https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002262328-UniFi-Feature-Guide-Wireless-Uplink
R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.pcengines.ch/
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I went with a Netgear AC1750. It has a built-in wireless bridge mode, which connects to my primary modem/router via 5G. I can then use the 1750's eth ports to plug into my home network's wired network. This connects my computers upstairs and downstairs without the need for a mega-long cable going from my primary router to the wireless bridge. (I hate doing that.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: