problem: emerge in chrooted environment over sshfs[solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skorefish
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: problem: emerge in chrooted environment over sshfs[solved] Reply with quote

Ok, First "What did i do"

Code:
 sshfs root@192.168.1.5:/  /mnt/gentoo

mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev

chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
source /etc/profile
export PS1="(chroot) $PS1"

emerge -avuDNU @world --verbose-conflicts

here is the error i get
Code:
>>> Running pre-merge checks for dev-db/mariadb-10.1.31-r1
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AbstractEbuildProcess.py", line 186, in _init_ipc_fifos
    st = os.lstat(p)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/portage/__init__.py", line 250, in __call__
    rval = self._func(*wrapped_args, **wrapped_kwargs)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: b'/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.1.31-r1/.ipc_in'

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/Scheduler.py", line 895, in _run_pkg_pretend
    pretend_phase.start()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AsynchronousTask.py", line 30, in start
    self._start()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/EbuildPhase.py", line 133, in _start
    self._start_lock()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/EbuildPhase.py", line 153, in _start_lock
    self._start_ebuild()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/EbuildPhase.py", line 188, in _start_ebuild
    self._start_task(ebuild_process, self._ebuild_exit)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/CompositeTask.py", line 151, in _start_task
    task.start()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AsynchronousTask.py", line 30, in start
    self._start()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AbstractEbuildProcess.py", line 139, in _start
    self._start_ipc_daemon()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AbstractEbuildProcess.py", line 219, in _start_ipc_daemon
    input_fifo, output_fifo = self._init_ipc_fifos()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AbstractEbuildProcess.py", line 188, in _init_ipc_fifos
    os.mkfifo(p)
PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/lib/python-exec/python3.5/emerge", line 50, in <module>
    retval = emerge_main()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/main.py", line 1251, in emerge_main
    return run_action(emerge_config)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/actions.py", line 3297, in run_action
    retval = action_build(emerge_config, spinner=spinner)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/actions.py", line 540, in action_build
    retval = mergetask.merge()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/Scheduler.py", line 980, in merge
    rval = self._run_pkg_pretend()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/Scheduler.py", line 905, in _run_pkg_pretend
    current_task.wait()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AsynchronousTask.py", line 54, in wait
    self._wait()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/CompositeTask.py", line 85, in _wait
    task.wait()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AsynchronousTask.py", line 54, in wait
    self._wait()
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/SubProcess.py", line 98, in _wait
    (self.__class__.__name__, repr(self.pid)))
AssertionError: EbuildProcess: pid is non-integer: None

what can i do with this lines? Can i set permissions, for the chroot, the sshfs command?
Code:

PermissionError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: b'/var/tmp/portage/dev-db/mariadb-10.1.31-r1/.ipc_in'

Last edited by skorefish on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: problem: emerge in chrooted environment over sshfs Reply with quote

skorefish wrote:
Code:
sshfs root@192.168.1.5:/  /mnt/gentoo

skorefish ... I can see absolutely no reason for you to do this, you assumedly have ssh access and so can do the following:

Code:
# ssh root@192.168.1.5 "emerge -avuDNU @world --verbose-conflicts"

... though, even that is less preferable to a remote shell (given the session will close on completion or error.)

skorefish wrote:
Code:
mount -t proc proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
mount --rbind /sys /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/sys
mount --rbind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
mount --make-rslave /mnt/gentoo/dev

You're mounting localhost's virtual filesystems to the remote filesystem, the contents of /sys /proc and /dev are kernel information as files, and reflect the host system. While you might get away with doing this, there is a reason we --rbind these, they inform, and provide, processes within the chroot of the current state of the system, and necessary device nodes.

skorefish wrote:
Code:
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/_emerge/AbstractEbuildProcess.py", line 186, in _init_ipc_fifos
    st = os.lstat(p)
  File "/usr/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/portage/__init__.py", line 250, in __call__
    rval = self._func(*wrapped_args, **wrapped_kwargs)

IPC is "interprocess communication", and obviously there is no interprocess communication between local and remote kernel/systems.

best ... khay
skorefish
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
# ssh root@192.168.1.5 "emerge -avuDNU @world --verbose-conflicts"   

Quote:
... though, even that is less preferable to a remote shell (given the session will close on completion or error.)

Code:
 nohup bash -c "ssh root@192.168.1.5 "emerge -avuDNU @world --verbose-conflicts"&

so session close has no impact, but that's not what i want, because this wil compile on the remote(slow) machine.
I want to compile on my local machine,
without removing harddrives or changing the remote box.

khayyam wrote:
Quote:

You're mounting localhost's virtual filesystems to the remote filesystem, the contents of /sys /proc and /dev are kernel information as files, and reflect the host system. While you might get away with doing this, there is a reason we --rbind these, they inform, and provide, processes within the chroot of the current state of the system, and necessary device nodes.

IPC is "interprocess communication", and obviously there is no interprocess communication between local and remote kernel/systems.

I don't understand this! Isn't this like mounting a partion on my local machine and chrooting into it?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skorefish,

sshfs is intended for a single user only.
Portage does some things as root and others as portage. You can make it run everything as root.

sshfs is not the solution to your problem either. The encryption overhead is high and you have that both ends.
You really don't want it on the slow system.

If you must transfer files over an untrusted link, so you can't drop the encryption, replicate the slow system in a chroot on the faster system and build binary packages there,
Transfer them to the slow system, minimising the encryption overhead, then use emerge -K.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do that with NFS to "borrow" some horsepower from quad core amd64 to compiling stuff for p3 mobile (clocked at 1/3 of quad's speed... You can imagine it was a massive boost) . It had lower overhead (encryption), and I could be sure to preserve permissions.
Sshfs does some mapping on permissions, this may or may not be a problem.

Binding your local /proc /sys and /dev on top of remote root is the right way to go, you do want to have you local kernel interfaces available in chroot. Remote machine's kernel is irrelevant at this point.

Also, I use mount --bind rather than mount --rbind. No idea why it behaved this way, but I found the former more reliable.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skorefish wrote:
[...] but that's not what i want, because this wil compile on the remote(slow) machine. I want to compile on my local machine, without removing harddrives or changing the remote box.

skorefish ... well, that's sort of what distcc is for.

khayyam wrote:

skorefish wrote:
I don't understand this! Isn't this like mounting a partion on my local machine and chrooting into it?

No, because when booting the CD image the --rbind of /proc /sys /dev reflect the host kernel/machine, they are the kernel represented as files, and this kernel (and hardware) is the same host. So, if you mount /proc from a local system to a remote system, then /proc/sysvipc is not the IPC of the running system. That is why I said you might get away with it (ie, in a case where /dev/null, or /dev/random, is needed) but in terms of things the kernel is presenting of itself in /proc or /sys you won't ... as two kernels/systems are involved.

best ... khay
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, because when booting the CD image the --rbind of /proc /sys /dev reflect the host kernel/machine, they are the kernel represented as files, and this kernel (and hardware) is the same host. So, if you mount /proc from a local system to a remote system, then /proc/sysvipc is not the IPC of the running system. That is why I said you might get away with it (ie, in a case where /dev/null, or /dev/random, is needed) but in terms of things the kernel is presenting of itself in /proc or /sys you won't ... as two kernels/systems are involved.
It doesn't matter what kernel is running on the remote machine. You want to have interfaces to the kernel that is doing all the hard work for you. Local kernel provides resources for compilation. Local kernel is the environment in which you run compilation. Remote kernel is just a wrapper around SATA driver on the remote storage. You want to keep it out of your way as much as possible (so e.g. NFS needs no_root_squash)

1) Mount root from remote machine you want to update in a subdirectory
2) Mount --bind /proc /dev, /sys, /usr/portage (and sometimes /dev/pts) on top of that (yes, bind interfaces to _local_ kernel on top of network mounted root)
3) chroot into your patchwerk system for maintenance

Just make sure you don't use cheats like -march=native, it's likely to break stuff for you. Basically the same restriction as with distcc (but packages that fail to build on distcc anyway do compile fine here)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

szatox wrote:
1) Mount root from remote machine you want to update in a subdirectory
2) Mount --bind /proc /dev, /sys, /usr/portage (and sometimes /dev/pts) on top of that (yes, bind interfaces to _local_ kernel on top of network mounted root)
3) chroot into your patchwerk system for maintenance

szatox ... which is exactly what the OP is doing, so 4). watch it fail in various unusual ways. While sshfs will provide an "interface" to the filesystem, it won't provide interprocess communication simply because /proc is --bind mounted to that filesystem.

best ... khay
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What interprocess communication do you think is needed between the build host and the storage host? Building requires some IPC among processes on the build host, but should not require any IPC to processes on the storage host.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khayyam, Yes, I saw that this is what the OP is doing. And it is also a case very similar to the regular gentoo install when you chroot into a system that - spoiler aler - is not running at all.
Also, I have successfully done that many times using NFS and it was actually a very reliable way to quickly update gentoo running on a very old hardware, so I can confirm that this approach _should_ work.
Now, the OP reported a problem building an application over sshfs. Sshfs uses user's account and maps (or "mangles") permissions on both ends, possibly in a weird fashion (because it uses _user's_ account). Obviously, the problem _may_ be somewhere else. It may be a broken ebuild (not very likely), it may be misconfigured portage (does it fail when ran as a local build?), but testing this would take more time. Let's rule out simple things first.

Btw, this is a really good advice:
Quote:
If you must transfer files over an untrusted link, so you can't drop the encryption, replicate the slow system in a chroot on the faster system and build binary packages there,
Transfer them to the slow system, minimising the encryption overhead, then use emerge -K.
Even if you drop it later, this local copy for chroot could help a lot with troubleshooting.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
What interprocess communication do you think is needed between the build host and the storage host? Building requires some IPC among processes on the build host, but should not require any IPC to processes on the storage host.

Hu ... well, I assume that is the purpose of ".ipc.in" (see the above build error).

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: