Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Boot Problem SD/MMC (it's the only hdd on this netbook)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pepro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Boot Problem SD/MMC (it's the only hdd on this netbook) Reply with quote

Hi guys, my netbook is:

acer cloudbook 11, celeron n3050 , hdd (sd/eMMC) 32g, 2g ram.

When I installed first time gentoo (and then funtoo and then sabayon) and was asking for help, everyone told me to look fstab and other option, that in first place could be a possible solution.

But like I said, From the beginning of this odissey fstab and everything was ok but Nothing booting. Just redcore boot.

The real problem is that I'm ignorant, I just use genkernell automatic setting.

Today I tried funtoo (because of precompiled kernell) to try intalling it on USB with a pen drive, with nothing different from the other installations. It boot.

Yes very well. I'm happy? nop.

My question is:
Someone know what setting I have to use on genkernell menu to let it boot in first place from the hdd of this little inutil netbook? It has just one mmc with two little partition needed from bios to know that it can boot from there.

To be clear the Grub boot, but then kernel say that can't find root on
/dev/mmcblk0p3

But root is there.

:'''( please magik linux wizard, don't let me try with all option set, because this intel n3050 want a couple of days to compile that!!

Good by and thank u
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the fstab for sure. You probably don't have the emmc driver enabled in your kernel. Unfortunately there's a bunch of esoteric options that need to be set which I can't roll off the top of my head at the moment as I have dealt with so few of these machines as of yet.

You should start with the funtoo or whichever other working kernel .config and use that as your base. I don't know if genkernel "supports" emmc boot as it's not the typical SATA connection and thus likely won't work.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepro,

The boot sequence goes like this ...
A bootloader loads your kernel and optionally, your initrd into RAM. If your kernel is an efi stub kernel, the initrd in included in the kernel.

The bootloader exits by jumping to the kernel start address. Then its just the kernel and initrd.
Between them, they need to mount the root filesystem as everything else is there.

Please pastebin the output of
Code:
lspci -k
from your working Linux.

As eccerr0r says, MMC is a learning opportunity. You need the right bits in your kernel.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually something that may make things easier is the dmesg on the working linux.

The hinting data should be there (as well as the broken linux kernel too, though not as complete.)

The emmc device does not show up in the PCI tables IIRC - but does show up in ACPI.
pepro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much guys! If I try another install in that machine I will try something !!

Now I have bought a 3.0 USB, if nothing go wrong I will use gentoo from there as long as the usb does not burn XD I,m at the grub installation, hoping it will boot.

If don't I will try other kernel config without begin from start.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepro,

Reinstalling won't change anything. Using USB avoids the issue, sort of. You won't be able to see your eMMC card.
The challenge is configuring the kernel correctly.

eMMC is particularly challenging as there are so many different interfaces and different busses that the card can be attached to.
Its like the early days of IDE drives in PCs only worse.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
pepro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi neddy, yes I know that. in fact gentoo live dvd do not see my eMMC when I use that and I have to install gentoo with minimal usb installer to see eMMC.

I have installed on usb just to see if it boot like funtoo.

this is the output you was asking for:
Code:
lspci -k
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series SoC Transaction Register
        Kernel driver in use: iosf_mbi_pci
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Integrated Graphics Controller
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
00:0b.0 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Power Management Controller                                                                     
        Kernel driver in use: proc_thermal
        Kernel modules: processor_thermal_device
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series USB xHCI Controller
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd
00:1a.0 Encryption controller: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series Trusted Execution Engine
        Kernel driver in use: mei_txe
        Kernel modules: mei_txe
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series High Definition Audio Controller
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #1 (rev 21)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCI Express Port #3 (rev 21)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx Series PCU
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel modules: lpc_ich
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx SMBus Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Atom/Celeron/Pentium Processor x5-E8000/J3xxx/N3xxx SMBus Controller
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
02:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Lite-On Communications Inc QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
        Kernel driver in use: ath9k
        Kernel modules: ath9k

it is util??
pepro
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG grub tell me that can't install!!! -.- I have done some bad thing with partition ate the beginning.

But I have add gentoo on the Ubuntu grub, and is up. I'm in. Gentoo log in :) so happy.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepro,

There is nothing in lspci to show where an MMC card might be hiding.
Its unlikely to be USB ... but its work a look before we start guessing.
What does lsusb tell?

Also put your kernel .config file onto a pastebin please.

Boot into Ubuntu and run lsmod. Post the output. Maybe we can work out what Ubuntu uses for the eMMC card.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another warning, the emmc is hooked up via SPI.
It will not show up under USB or PCI.
Again it does show up in ACPI tables, and the easiest way to get it to work is reverse engineering a working kernel.

I can't find my Baytrail kernel .config that has the same setup - emmc hooked up via SPI. I gave up on this machine because there were so many hardware issues that it was frustrating beyond belief (timer fscked up, wifi flaky, touch screen and graphics just don't want to work right, battery management nonexistent in Linux, ... but not saying that your hardware will have the same problems, it's just my excuse why I stopped working on mine!)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: