View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andi456
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: [Solved]: xinput takes keyboard/remote control for pointer Reply with quote

Hi,

after some updates, my old "Formosa21 USB IR Receiver", which xinput -list has been listing as a keyboard, is now being listed as a pointer:

Code:

⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ MLK Keyboard Mouse Set                    id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
⎜   ↳ Formosa21 USB IR Receiver                 id=10   [slave  pointer  (2)]

This may be the reason why the keys that I customized for this remote control and receiver combination do not seem to work any more.

This is what Xorg.0.log shows about the receiver:
Code:

[   506.205] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Formosa21 USB IR Receiver (/dev/input/event7)
[   506.205] (**) Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[   506.205] (**) Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[   506.205] (**) Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Applying InputClass "Default-Keyboard"
[   506.205] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'Formosa21 USB IR Receiver'
[   506.205] (**) Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: always reports core events
[   506.205] (**) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Device: "/dev/input/event7"
[   506.205] (--) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Vendor 0x4b4 Product 0x100
[   506.205] (--) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Found 1 mouse buttons
[   506.205] (--) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Found keys
[   506.205] (II) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Forcing relative x/y axes to exist.
[   506.205] (II) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Configuring as mouse
[   506.205] (II) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Configuring as keyboard
[   506.205] (**) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
[   506.205] (**) evdev: Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
[   506.205] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.2/usb1/1-5/1-5.3/1-5.3:1.0/0003:04B4:0100.0005/input/input7/event7"
[   506.205] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Formosa21 USB IR Receiver" (type: KEYBOARD, id 10)

Obviously xorg configures it to be both a keyboard and a mouse. Although the last seems to indicate that it is registered as a keyboard, xinput -list tells me the opposite. Are there any options that could be passed somewhere to have xinput recognize it as a keyboard again?

Thanks in advance,

Andreas

Last edited by andi456 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what we see it should be in both lists (pointer and keyboard), but you only provide pointer list (which prove it is in pointer list, not that it is not in keyboard list too).

Code:
[   506.205] (**) Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Applying InputClass "evdev keyboard catchall"
[   506.205] (**) Formosa21 USB IR Receiver: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"

i didn't migrate to libinput, but i know the doc is stating to use evdev or libinput, but not both. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Libinput#Removing_another_input_driver_from_INPUT_DEVICES_does_not_prevent_Xorg_from_loading_it
andi456
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
from what we see it should be in both lists (pointer and keyboard), but you only provide pointer list (which prove it is in pointer list, not that it is not in keyboard list too).

Oh, I should have included the whole output of xinput -list, which would have shown that the remote control isn't in the keyboard list. Anyway, it seems that I should have a look into libinput vs. evdev. Thanks.
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andi456 wrote:
Oh, I should have included the whole output of xinput -list, which would have shown that the remote control isn't in the keyboard list.

We could assume you're saying truth, but you won't just believe how much time a user has something wrote in front of his eyes and he is not seeing it ; or how much time a user say "this" just to show you 2s later it's "that" in his log, that's not lies, but when you are just blind to something or you see "that" as "this" because you think it should be "this". Must have a word that define this, but i don't have it.
And most of the time, we're helping users to finally just read what is wrote on their screen

If you want the typical example, just look at most threads with "i cannot compile/emerge that", where they output the error, the error message include instructions that if you want help with the error you should provide the build.log
And you'll see how much time our first question is: can you provide the build.log :)
andi456
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@krinn: No offense taken...

For the record, I solved the problem by migrating to libinput, copying 40-libinput.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d as mentioned in the wiki, deleting my old 20-keyboard.conf file, and adding the line regarding my keyboard layout to the keyboard section, which was crucial to have all key working:
Code:

Option "XkbLayout" "de"

Kind regards,

Andreas
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great :D

(thank you for giving the solve, it will help others)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: