Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Nvidia (propietary drivers) + modesetting + kwin.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lock_cda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] Nvidia (propietary drivers) + modesetting + kwin. Reply with quote

Hi.

I'll share my experience here because I think it could help others.

Since the last nvidia-drivers update (396.24-r1) I lost compositing in KWin with Plasma 5. I'm using modesetting, so it could be something to keep present. The only way to keep the compositing, was by selecting XRender compositing, which is not a real solution (since it's a software compositing).

Also, my firefox (I'm actually using a masked version, 60.0.1) was like crazy while "playing" videos with HTML5. If there was an open page with a video (even if it was paused) the firefox was getting stucked in intervals.

All of those problems were solved by recompiling the nvidia-drivers without the compat USE flag. After the recompile, the OpenGL compositing (KWin) worked perfectly and all the firefox problems were solved, so it seems that there's a problem with the compat USE flag.

I didn't file a bug on Gentoo bugs explaining the compat problem, since I can't spend more time on that issue and I don't exactly know which was the problem with the compat USE flag. But if someone has the time to collect data and make some tests, it could be a good idea to file a bug and, if the compat USE flag is problematic, maybe that USE flag should be masked.

Hope it helps to someone.

Regards.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: