Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javeree wrote:
Until now I have been using git just for version control on my own PC and cloning other peoples stuff towards my PC.

I am wondering however, if it is important how your code is stored to allow someone to pull rom you. Say someone has an account on gitlab. Can a developer with an project on Github pull from that account ?

Alternatively, if you would not use github but clone or develop a project to your own harddrive, how do you give someone access so they can pull from you ? Would you need to do different things depending on the person that you send the pull request to having a github or gitlab account ?

You know, gitolite for access control +gitweb for hosting repository on your own server combination has been working for many years
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, time to recall that git by philosophy is a distributed version control ment to be kept first of all on your own computer, while all agregators like github, while convenient, are always under possibility to be sold/commericialized/whatever
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Well, time to recall that git by philosophy is a distributed version control ment to be kept first of all on your own computer, while all agregators like github, while convenient, are always under possibility to be sold/commericialized/whatever
So? I do not know where the problem is.

Using git means: Everybody who has cloned your Git{hub,lab,whatever} repo, has a perfect backup. At least you have. After all that's the reason we use git instead of svn.

So the company with by far the most open source repositories on GitHub buys it. Big deal.
I find all those move-away-panickers quite funny. The deal isn't even closed, yet. And even when it is, there is all the time in the world to move. Neither GitHub nor Microsoft has any direct business advantage from you parking your stuff on their hardware. :lol:
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
dmpogo wrote:

Using git means: Everybody who has cloned your Git{hub,lab,whatever} repo, has a perfect backup. At least you have. After all that's the reason we use git instead of svn.

So the company with by far the most open source repositories on GitHub buys it. Big deal.
I find all those move-away-panickers quite funny. The deal isn't even closed, yet. And even when it is, there is all the time in the world to move. Neither GitHub nor Microsoft has any direct business advantage from you parking your stuff on their hardware. :lol:

Did I say problem ? I said that is expected state of affairs and that is where strength of git is
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
InfoSec projects are already flocking over to GitLab.

https://twitter.com/mubix/status/1003628340622872576
Quote:
Q: How tedious was the migration?
A: "Import all"
Just in case it becomes more difficult. Probably won't.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a head up, a few projects I follow have migrated. These are all InfoSec private repos for the most part (red team stuff).

Most git hub repos will stay on git hub, as they have no danger of being erased because they pose no threat. However, there are many red team tools which microsoft would prefer to not exist, anything of that nature is probably migrating to gitlab.

Any Kali, Parrot or (if anyone still uses it) Pentoo users should check their /Sploit repos and adjust as needed.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Yamakuzure wrote:
dmpogo wrote:

Did I say problem ? I said that is expected state of affairs and that is where strength of git is

That misunderstanding is on my side. I guess I was so amused by all the conspiracy theorists (*), that I read something between the lines there wasn't. Sorry!

Muso wrote:
However, there are many red team tools which microsoft would prefer to not exist, anything of that nature is probably migrating to gitlab
Why? What am I missing? If I understand the Wikipedia article on Red Teams correctly, they are good thing, and nothing to be scared of, right?
Which tools would Microsoft prefer to not exist, why, and how do you know? (No offense, just wondering.)

(*) No matter what I am writing, I can understand all the people who see dark days for all GitHub users ahead. Although things changed dramatically in the last decade, Microsoft has a history (and quite some reputation) of acquisitions that went really really bad for the acquired company/project. And most of them are hard to forget by the people.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GitLab Ultimate and Gold now free for education and open source

https://about.gitlab.com/2018/06/05/gitlab-ultimate-and-gold-free-for-education-and-open-source/

License/subscription details

"You'll receive a 1 year license for GitLab Ultimate or subscription for GitLab Gold.
Support is not included, but can be purchased for 95% off, at $4.95/user/month. Contact Sales for that.
Your license/subscription can be renewed each year if your project still meets the requirements."

From what I've read only 100k repos has been ported to GitLab. Not much considering github has 85M

<MS Fan Mode> Finally GitHub wont suck </Ms Fan Mode End> :D
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Muso wrote:
However, there are many red team tools which microsoft would prefer to not exist, anything of that nature is probably migrating to gitlab
Why? What am I missing? If I understand the Wikipedia article on Red Teams correctly, they are good thing, and nothing to be scared of, right?

Red Teams are very good. But the tools they use are the same ones that more nefarious people use. There is a lot of malware hosted on github, and they might start enforcing policy.

Yamakuzure wrote:
Which tools would Microsoft prefer to not exist, why, and how do you know? (No offense, just wondering.)

I'm just relaying what I've been told by the maintainers of some projects. Mubix announced his move on twitter

Kindness Evokes Kindness

dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say github people should send Linus a nice gift-wrapped Ferrari, or something like that
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
I'd say github people should send Linus a nice gift-wrapped Ferrari, or something like that
Why?

Care to elaborate on the reasons why you think this?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. -> . -> .

Without git there would be no github and they wouldn't have "$7.5bn." They are now very wealthy.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linus individually had very little to do with this.

Github's 7.5b$ wouldn't have happened even if Linux were on it. The fact that it did is a happy coincidence.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Muso : Thank you very much for the information.

Personally I wouldn't ban malware. I would just enforce it not being public. This way you can monitor it, see how it works, and develop counter-measures before it is finished. Of course this would be an ideal and thus almost impossible to achieve situation. But banning malware completely (you can not "delete" it. All clones are perfect backups.) would just make them go underground and thus out of sight.
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
. -> . -> .

Without git there would be no github and they wouldn't have "$7.5bn." They are now very wealthy.

++

Linus is known for two projects, the Linux kernel & git... both are revolutionary and genius.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

zixnub
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

Github's 7.5b$ wouldn't have happened even if Linux were on it. The fact that it did is a happy coincidence.

They probably found it was on there, and then payed 7.5b$ to get access to their biggest competitor kernel source code. Makes sense if you think about it.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, is far more plausible explanation.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zixnub wrote:
notageek wrote:

They probably found it was on there, and then payed 7.5b$ to get access to their biggest competitor kernel source code. Makes sense if you think about it.
It's publicly available anyway. They get no other access like they had before.
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait what? Microsoft just spent $7.5b on something that's freely available?

Impossible.

Microsoft would never do that!
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zixnub wrote:
notageek wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kindness Evokes Kindness

R0b0t1
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
I'm just relaying what I've been told by the maintainers of some projects. Mubix announced his move on twitter
I see no projects on his page?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R0b0t1 wrote:
Muso wrote:
I see no projects on his page?

Currently just his private repos.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:
Wait what? Microsoft just spent $7.5b on something that's freely available?

Impossible.

Microsoft would never do that!
Oh, I thought the Linux kernel was meant. Sorry.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notageek wrote:

That's like saying the Wright Brothers had very little to do with flight.
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Light: Inforce APLc
notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it isn't.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: