[SOLVED] Couple general USE questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Couple general USE questions Reply with quote

Using SystemRescueCD to install Gentoo onto Dell Inspiron 3521 {Celeron 1007u CPU with Intel® HD Graphics for 3rd Generation Intel® Processors (processor is Ivy Bridge family, but doesn't support full -march=ivybridge, so I have to stick with native), 4 GB RAM, Intel X25-M (gen 2) 80 GB SSD}.

System will be running XFCE as DM, used for basic Internet access, possibly adding LibreOffice, Firefox as browser, and that's about it.

About to start USE flags setup, but there are a couple of other settings in /etc/portage/make.conf that I'm curious about.

Looking at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/make.conf I see there are a lot of different extra global variables that I can configure. The ones I have Qs about are:

1) INPUT_DEVICES - according to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Xorg/Guide#make.conf the code shows
Code:
## (For mouse, keyboard, and Synaptics touchpad support)
INPUT_DEVICES="libinput synaptics"
will do Mouse, synaptics and KB, but when I run
Code:
emerge --info | grep ^USE
I see that, as loaded via SystemReescueCD (and chroot into my system on the SSD) the loaded values are
Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="libinput keyboard mouse"
And looking on the page https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/input_devices_libinput I see lots of different settings, including mouse, keyboard, and even one specifically for synaptics.

As I am not in any type of graphical environment while performing this install, I have no real way of seeing if the synaptics pad on the laptop is actually functioning.

My gut tells me to use
Code:
INPUT_DEVICES="libinput keyboard mouse synaptics"
to be safe. Am I right about this?

2) VIDEO_CARDS - as noted above, the Celeron 1007u comes bundled with what is called Intel HD Graphics for 3rd gen Intel processors. Running
Code:
emerge --info | grep ^USE
gets me
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu fbdev intel nouveau radeon radeonsi vesa dummy v4l"
. I know for a fact I can drop any reference to AMD, ATI and nVidia cards, and I know that I used to use VESA a long, lnog time ago with old 486 machines, so more than likely I don't really need it on a (relatively) modern laptop like this, but looking at https://packages.gentoo.org/useflags/video_cards_vesa I see there are a *lot* more options.

My gut tells me I should stick with
Code:
VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev intel vesa dummy"
but do I even need to keep fbdev, VESA, or V4l at all?
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.

Last edited by johngalt on Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt,

INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse" are obsolete.
Its safe but if you use Xorg automatic device detection, they won't be used.
Unless you go out of your way, you will be using automatic device detection.

VIDEO_CARDS="dummy" gets you a frame buffer device that draws into a region of main RAM.
Its not connected to any video outputs at all, so you probably don't need it. Its used for debugging.

intel is the VIDEO_CARDS for you. fbdev or vesa may be useful for getting a GUI if the intel drivers doesn't work first time.
However, Xorg has a modesetting driver built in which should provide a working fallback.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks (again!) for your invaluable support.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V4L stands for "Video for Linux". Unless you have a TV card you don't need it. And probably not then. Some older (really old) Hauppage cards had analog video output. That's all I'm aware of. Most TV cards are used only for input.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh. I had an inkling it was something like Vid(eo) for *nix, but I didn't really go looking for it - I used to have an old Hauppage card in my previous generation desktop, so that would have been helpful in that situation, but never bothered trying ot do anything like external / USB tv cards with this laptop. So, yeah, definitely do nto need it.

Thanks for the heads up.

Amen.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a couple more I should have asked about, as they are not even listed at https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/make.conf

ALSA_CARDS - default loaded is
Code:
ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci"
and my research seems to be ointing me in the firection of my sound card being HDA-intel (although the drivers are supplied by Dell, and it is widely shown across the Internet that the hardware and software package is by Waves (Maxx Audio), but more than one forum for this family of laptops specifically states that the Maxx Audio software for previous generations of Windows fails to load in Windows 10, and the solution is to load RealTek HDA AUdio software, of all things, so there is a bit of confusion - but everything else I have seen refers to it as Intel HDA.

LCD_DEVICES - I'm assuming that it is loading support for a variety of generic LCD types so that SRCD can load onto many different device types, including many laptops as well as desktops with a variety of types pf monitors. Amy I just better off leaving this one alone, since I have both booted SRCD to the default CLI as well as to the full GUI and both have worked flawlessly on this laptop?

Amen.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And another gut feeling, but I should not enable the 'hardened' USE flag unless I've selected a hardened stage 3 tarball, right?

Amen.
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a ton of ALSA_CARDS in emerge --info but none specified in make.conf. Sound works fine.

It's probably best to not overly specify in make.conf, but that's just my opinion.

I'll leave the ALSA_CARDS question to someone more familiar.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johngalt,

Don't 'footer' with USE=hardened. Your profile knows best. Yes, if you want to set USE=hardened, its a lot less painful to start with a hardened stage3
With the hardened kernel going away and USE=pie now the default, hardened features are becoming more mainline.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Tony0945 - Roger that. That's one of the things I did not test when I had SRCD booted to the GUI - sound - so I don't actually know if it works.

Issuing a beep command at the cli on the laptop when booted to SRCD cl does nothing, but if anything at all, that to me suggest that me editing that variable will have no beneficial effect.

@Neddy - that was my gut feeling. Glad to know my instincts haven't all rotted away.

Interesting that hardened is making its way into mainstream installs - that's a good thing.

I don't have any other questions on USE stuff so I'm marking this one solved again,

Thanks again!

Amen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: