Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Bootable 64-bit RPi3 Gentoo image (OpenRC/Xfce/VC4) UPDATED
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hu

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your output says you passed --usepkg or similar. If you did not pass that on the command line, then it came as an emerge default option through a configuration file or environment variable.
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777,

The gentoo-on-rpi3-64bit image has a backing weekly autobuild binhost, and sets getbinpkg in FEATURES. You can temporarily turn this off to force a local emerge, using (e.g.):
Code:
pi64 ~ # FEATURES="-getbinpkg" emerge foo/bar

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the topic https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8224202.html#8224202 such recommendation was placed:
ct85711 wrote:

Beyond that, is is recommended you have the bindist USE flag disabled, as it is known to break stuff (disable it in your make.conf, not your package.use; as it needs to be set the same for several other packages too). It breaks stuff by disabling some patented code that is depended on by several packages. The USE flag means you want to distribute binary copies to other people (also why it is set by default, with Gentoo distributing the system images around).

How do You think, is it necessary to do it in my setup? Also, if it will be made, then I have to recompile a lot of already installed packages, right? And genup also will recompile a lot, right?
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777,

whether to disable bindist really comes down to your particular use case, and in particular, the additional packages you want to install. (Side note about a common issue, in case it is relevant: it used to be the case that packages requiring elliptic curve crypto would enforce a -bindist requirement on dev-libs/openssl, but the underlying issue has recently been (mostly) addressed by pulling in parts of the Fedora patchset, see commit 962021d and the original acd5dfa. I'm not sure if this reality is reflected in all the client ebuilds yet, however.)

FWIW, I run my build server with bindist set globally, and have not experienced any stability issues directly traceable to that.

To your other questions, if you unset bindist in e.g. your /etc/portage/make.conf, then yes, a number of your existing packages will need re-emerging (and will be built locally from that point on whenever you run e.g. genup, and eligible upgrade versions are available).

You can get a sense of what will be rebuilt by issuing e.g.:
Code:
pi64 ~ # USE="-bindist" emerge --pretend --verbose --deep --with-bdeps=y --changed-use --changed-deps --update @world

The requirement to rebuild affected packages locally flows from a legal, not a technical, constraint; I can only lawfully distribute "bindist" binary packages via the isshoni.org binhost (that being the point of the flag).

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You for the explanation! Since all packages are already build with bindist flag, I will not reemerge it without this flag; but will keep in mind it for some specific net installations, that are not in the image setup :)

Sakaki, could you please specify what about raspberry camera support? (for today raspberry manufacturers provides camera v2.1 https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/camera-module-v2/ ; mine is 1.3, but suppose that they use same drivers/libraries and so)
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777 wrote:
Sakaki, could you please specify what about raspberry camera support? (for today raspberry manufacturers provides camera v2.1 https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/camera-module-v2/ ; mine is 1.3, but suppose that they use same drivers/libraries and so)

I've no idea about the camera module, as I don't own one and haven't looked into it previously. There may be issues if it relies upon MMAL or OpenMax IL though, as afaik those still aren't supported on 64-bit systems.

I'm working on a new release atm but when that is out I'll have a quick look.

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will leave it here for the analysis in future (maybe helps with camera setup) https://wiki.jmk.hu/wiki/Live_Video_Streaming_with_Raspberry_Pi_camera_module
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more question.. What CPU freuency driver is used in your setup in order to allow "on demand" operation?
Code:
 x          *** CPU frequency scaling drivers ***                      x x
  x x    < >   Generic DT based cpufreq driver                            x x
  x x    < >   Generic ARM big LITTLE CPUfreq driver                      x x
  x x    [*]   BCM2835 Driver                                             x x
  x x    < >   CPU frequency scaling driver for Freescale QorIQ SoCs      x
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777 wrote:
One more question.. What CPU freuency driver is used in your setup in order to allow "on demand" operation?

It is currently forced by a startup service/script, since the default branch bcmrpi3_defconfig (which the image kernel uses) currently has:
Code:
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_POWERSAVE=y
The relevant startup script is here.

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in the your image Default CPUFreq governor is Ondemand or Powersave?
Also sorry, I don't understand what scaling drivers you use :oops: BCM2835?
in the → CPU Power Management → CPU Frequency scaling
Code:

[*] CPU Frequency scaling                                 
[*]   CPU frequency transition statistics                   
Default CPUFreq governor (powersave)  --->           
<*>   'performance' governor                           
 -*-   'powersave' governor                             
<*>   'userspace' governor for userspace frequency scaling 
<*>   'ondemand' cpufreq policy governor                 
<*>   'conservative' cpufreq governor                 
[*]   'schedutil' cpufreq policy governor               
*** CPU frequency scaling drivers ***           
< >   Generic DT based cpufreq driver
< >   Generic ARM big LITTLE CPUfreq driver   
[*]   BCM2835 Driver                               
< >   CPU frequency scaling driver for Freescale QorIQ SoCs
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777,

the (upstream) kernel default is powersave, but this is switched to ondemand at boot time on the image by the script I cited previously (and ondemand is used from that point on).

The bcmrpi3_defconfig kernel config for the kernel shipped with the image is available here, from which you can extract all the settings. For example, if you search this file for CPUFREQ, you will find the following stanza:
Code:
#
# CPU frequency scaling drivers
#
# CONFIG_CPUFREQ_DT is not set
# CONFIG_ARM_BIG_LITTLE_CPUFREQ is not set
# CONFIG_ARM_KIRKWOOD_CPUFREQ is not set
CONFIG_ARM_BCM2835_CPUFREQ=y
# CONFIG_QORIQ_CPUFREQ is not set

sakaki
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777,

The Wiki does it one way. Sakaki does it another.
Both ways are correct.

CONFIG_ARM_BCM2835_CPUFREQ is the driver, which was not in the upstream kernel, last time I looked.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
CONFIG_ARM_BCM2835_CPUFREQ is the driver, which was not in the upstream kernel, last time I looked.

Not in the current 4.14.y bcmrpi3_defconfig itself, but it is turned on if you "make distclean && make bcmrpi3_defconfig", so something auto-selects it I think.

sakaki
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.. The problem is that when I work on your kernel (supplied with the image) everything in fine; but whet I build my kernel and select Ondemand
Code:
make distclean
make bcmrpi3_defconfig
make menuconfig > CPU Power Management > CPU Frequency scaling   --- Default CPUFreq governor (powersave)  ---> Ondemand

then I get errors in dmesg report like
Code:
[  487.495757] bcm2835-cpufreq:bcm2835_cpufreq_set_clock:84: Failed to set clock: 1200000 (-12)
[  487.495770] bcm2835-cpufreq:bcm2835_cpufreq_driver_target_index:183: Error occurred setting a new frequency (1200000)
[  487.495780] cpufreq: __target_index: Failed to change cpu frequency: -22
[  492.495763] bcm2835-cpufreq:bcm2835_cpufreq_set_clock:84: Failed to set clock: 1200000 (-12)
[  492.495777] bcm2835-cpufreq:bcm2835_cpufreq_driver_target_index:183: Error occurred setting a new frequency (1200000)
[  492.495787] cpufreq: __target_index: Failed to change cpu frequency: -22

when 3G/4G modem is inserted (usb_modeswitch is also used). That why I'm asking about the differences.

However, I will recheck..
roylongbottom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Copy of Gentoo, problem installing Samba

I somehow managed to corrupt my Gentoo (For RPi 3B+) SD card and have installed the latest. This displays on my TV but does not fill the screen on monitors and eventually only provided flashing desktop images on them. Using the TV, I could not install cifs-utils, samba nor vcgencmd, all producing the following message

Code:
 * IMPORTANT: 2 config files in '/etc/portage' need updating.
 * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
 * sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.

I then installed the original Gentoo on a different SD card. That produces normal full screen displays on monitors (has identical config.sys) but now will not install the same software utilities, providing the same error message.

What do I have to do to install that software?

Roy
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roylongbottom,

could you post the full command line and output from the emerge command you are trying please? The stanza you posted ("...config files... need updating") is an incidental message; it is telling you that a package you've updated has tried to overwrite a protected config file (e.g. a file in /etc/...) and you need to decide what to do about the 'shadow' updated copy that Portage has written (use it in place of your old version of that config file, retain your old file and ignore the new one, merge the old and new versions etc.) There are various utilities that you can use for this, for example dispatch-conf (see also my notes here). But if you are unable to install packages, there will be a 'real' error message somewhere in the output too.

sakaki
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm just in the final stages of testing a 1.2.2 release of the image; this version will have net-fs/samba, net-fs/cifs-utils and media-libs/raspberrypi-userland (for vcgencmd) bundled. I hope to release within the next few days and will obviously post here when I do so.

sakaki
roylongbottom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki wrote:
roylongbottom,

could you post the full command line and output from the emerge command you are trying please? The stanza you posted ("...config files... need updating") is an incidental message; it is telling you that a package you've updated has tried to overwrite a protected config file (e.g. a file in /etc/...) and you need to decide what to do about the 'shadow' updated copy that Portage has written (use it in place of your old version of that config file, retain your old file and ignore the new one, merge the old and new versions etc.) There are various utilities that you can use for this, for example dispatch-conf (see also my notes here). But if you are unable to install packages, there will be a 'real' error message somewhere in the output too.

The vcgencmd command (via raspberrypi-userland) worked after dispatch-conf but no input was requested. Following are outputs from trying to install cifs-utils and samba:

Code:
 ####################################### cifs-utils

pi64 /home/demouser # sudo emerge  cifs-utils

Local copy of remote index is up-to-date and will be used.
 * Last emerge --sync was 68d 14h 15m 22s ago.
Calculating dependencies... done!
[binary  N     ] sys-apps/keyutils-1.5.10  USE="-static -static-libs {-test}"
[binary  N     ] dev-util/cmocka-1.1.1  USE="(-doc) -static-libs {-test}"
[binary  N     ] net-libs/rpcsvc-proto-1.3.1
[binary  N     ] dev-libs/libgamin-0.1.10-r5  USE="-debug -python -static-libs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[binary  N     ] sys-libs/talloc-2.1.11  USE="python -compat" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/pbr-3.1.1  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[ebuild  N     ] sys-libs/tdb-1.3.15  USE="python" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[binary  N     ] dev-python/extras-1.0.0  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[binary  N     ] dev-python/linecache2-1.0.0  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[binary  N     ] dev-python/pyrsistent-0.13.0  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[binary  N     ] dev-python/mimeparse-1.6.0  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[binary  N     ] dev-libs/libev-4.24  USE="-static-libs"
[binary  N     ] app-admin/gam-server-0.1.10-r2  USE="-debug"
[ebuild  N     ] sys-libs/tevent-0.9.36  USE="python" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[binary  N     ] dev-python/traceback2-1.4.0  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[binary  N     ] dev-libs/libverto-0.2.6  USE="libev threads -glib -libevent -static-libs -tevent"
[binary  N     ] app-admin/gamin-0.1.10-r1
[binary  N     ] app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.16  USE="keyutils nls pkinit threads (-doc) -libressl -openldap (-selinux) {-test} -xinetd"
[binary  N     ] sys-libs/ldb-1.3.2  USE="python (-doc) (-ldap)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[binary  N     ] dev-python/unittest2-1.1.0  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[binary  N     ] virtual/fam-0-r1
[binary  N     ] virtual/krb5-0-r1
[binary  N     ] dev-python/testtools-2.3.0  USE="(-doc) {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[binary  N     ] dev-python/fixtures-3.0.0  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[binary  N     ] dev-python/subunit-1.2.0-r1  USE="-static-libs {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6"
[ebuild  N     ] net-fs/samba-4.8.0  USE="acl cups fam pam system-mitkrb5 -addc -addns (-ads) -ceph -client -cluster -debug (-dmapi) -gnutls (-gpg) -iprint (-ldap) -python -quota (-selinux) -syslog (-system-heimdal) -systemd {-test} -winbind -zeroconf" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7"
[binary  N     ] net-fs/cifs-utils-6.8  USE="acl ads caps caps-ng pam -creds"

!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to non matching USE:

=net-fs/samba-4.8.0 client
    =sys-libs/tdb-1.3.15 python
    =sys-libs/tevent-0.9.36 python

NOTE: The --binpkg-respect-use=n option will prevent emerge
      from ignoring these binary packages if possible.
      Using --binpkg-respect-use=y will silence this warning.

!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to changed dependencies:

sys-libs/ncurses-6.1-r2::gentoo

NOTE: The --binpkg-changed-deps=n option will prevent emerge
      Using --binpkg-changed-deps=y will silence this warning.

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by sys-libs/ldb-1.3.2::gentoo
# required by net-fs/samba-4.8.0::gentoo
# required by net-fs/cifs-utils-6.8::gentoo
# required by cifs-utils (argument)
>=sys-libs/tdb-1.3.15 python
# required by net-fs/cifs-utils-6.8::gentoo
# required by cifs-utils (argument)
>=sys-libs/tevent-0.9.36 python

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring
CONFIG_PROTECT). Carefully examine the list of proposed changes,
paying special attention to mask or keyword changes that may expose
experimental or unstable packages.

* In order to avoid wasting time, backtracking has terminated early
 * due to the above autounmask change(s). The --autounmask-backtrack=y
 * option can be used to force further backtracking, but there is no
 * guarantee that it will produce a solution.

####################################### samba

pi64 /home/demouser # sudo emerge -v net-fs/samba

Local copy of remote index is up-to-date and will be used.
 * Last emerge --sync was 68d 14h 18m 3s ago.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[binary  N     ] dev-util/cmocka-1.1.1::gentoo  USE="(-doc) -static-libs {-test}" 62 KiB
[binary  N     ] net-libs/rpcsvc-proto-1.3.1::gentoo  78 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-libs/libgamin-0.1.10-r5::gentoo  USE="-debug -python -static-libs" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 117 KiB
[binary  N     ] sys-apps/keyutils-1.5.10::gentoo  USE="-static -static-libs {-test}" 105 KiB
[binary  N     ] sys-libs/talloc-2.1.11::gentoo  USE="python -compat" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 85 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] dev-python/pbr-3.1.1::gentoo  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 101 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-libs/tdb-1.3.15::gentoo  USE="python" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 491 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/extras-1.0.0::gentoo  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 47 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/linecache2-1.0.0::gentoo  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 74 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/mimeparse-1.6.0::gentoo  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 37 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/pyrsistent-0.13.0::gentoo  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 198 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-libs/libev-4.24::gentoo  USE="-static-libs" 138 KiB
[binary  N     ] app-admin/gam-server-0.1.10-r2::gentoo  USE="-debug" 52 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] sys-libs/tevent-0.9.36::gentoo  USE="python" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 579 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/traceback2-1.4.0::gentoo  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 86 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-libs/libverto-0.2.6::gentoo  USE="libev threads -glib -libevent -static-libs -tevent" 48 KiB
[binary  N     ] app-admin/gamin-0.1.10-r1::gentoo  23 KiB
[binary  N     ] app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.16::gentoo  USE="keyutils nls pkinit threads (-doc) -libressl -openldap (-selinux) {-test} -xinetd" 1,279 KiB
[binary  N     ] sys-libs/ldb-1.3.2:0/1.3.2::gentoo  USE="python (-doc) (-ldap)" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 210 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/unittest2-1.1.0::gentoo  PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 465 KiB
[binary  N     ] virtual/fam-0-r1::gentoo  22 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/testtools-2.3.0::gentoo  USE="(-doc) {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 869 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/fixtures-3.0.0::gentoo  USE="{-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 165 KiB
[binary  N     ] dev-python/subunit-1.2.0-r1::gentoo  USE="-static-libs {-test}" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 (-pypy) (-pypy3) -python3_4 -python3_6" 391 KiB
[ebuild  N     ] net-fs/samba-4.8.0::gentoo  USE="acl cups fam pam system-mitkrb5 -addc -addns (-ads) -ceph -client -cluster -debug (-dmapi) -gnutls (-gpg) -iprint (-ldap) -python -quota (-selinux) -syslog (-system-heimdal) -systemd {-test} -winbind -zeroconf" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7" 17,246 KiB

Total: 25 packages (25 new, 21 binaries), Size of downloads: 22,954 KiB

!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to non matching USE:

=sys-libs/tevent-0.9.36 python
    =sys-libs/tdb-1.3.15 python
    =net-fs/samba-4.8.0 client

NOTE: The --binpkg-respect-use=n option will prevent emerge
      Using --binpkg-respect-use=y will silence this warning.

!!! The following binary packages have been ignored due to changed dependencies:

sys-libs/ncurses-6.1-r2::gentoo

NOTE: The --binpkg-changed-deps=n option will prevent emerge
      Using --binpkg-changed-deps=y will silence this warning.

The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by net-fs/samba (argument)
>=sys-libs/tevent-0.9.36 python
# required by net-fs/samba (argument)
>=sys-libs/tdb-1.3.15 python

Use --autounmask-write to write changes to config files (honoring
CONFIG_PROTECT). Carefully examine the list of proposed changes,
paying special attention to mask or keyword changes that may expose
experimental or unstable packages.

* In order to avoid wasting time, backtracking has terminated early
 * due to the above autounmask change(s). The --autounmask-backtrack=y
 * option can be used to force further backtracking, but there is no
 * guarantee that it will produce a solution.

Roy
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roylongbottom,

so, you just need to update the custom rpi3 user ebuild repository (aka 'overlay') utilized on the image, in order to pick up the various USE flags etc. required by samba and friends. To do so, issue:
Code:
demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo emaint sync --repo rpi3

(the hint is in the lines following "The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:..." in your output)

Once that completes, try running the emerge command again. Hopefully it should go through this time.

sakaki
roylongbottom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sakaki wrote:
roylongbottom,

so, you just need to update the custom rpi3 user ebuild repository (aka 'overlay') utilized on the image, in order to pick up the various USE flags etc. required by samba and friends. To do so, issue:
Code:
demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo emaint sync --repo rpi3

(the hint is in the lines following "The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:..." in your output)

Once that completes, try running the emerge command again. Hopefully it should go through this time.

Thanks, that worked and those functions were installed, once I rediscovered the commands!

Roy
Sakaki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I've just posted a v1.2.2 release of my bootable 64-bit Gentoo image for the RPi3 (model B and B+) on GitHub (here, includes full download instructions).

A changelog from the prior release image (with upgrade instructions) may be viewed here, but in summary:
  • Migrated the default binary kernel package from bcmrpi3-kernel-bin to bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin; the latter uses a slightly tweaked version of the upstream bcmrpi3_defconfig via this weekly autobuild (to which, incidentally, config-change PRs will be accepted for review). The original bcmrpi3-kernel-bin package (and autobuild) will continue to be supported, and indeed you can easily switch to this version if you desire (just run, as root, "emerge -av1 sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bin && reboot"). However, having the ability to tweak the configuration (and possibly kernel source in future) provides additional flexibility. For example, in this release KVM is supported (see this thread) and the image ships with app-emulation/qemu if you want to try it out. Other facilities will be rolled out in future.
  • The RPi3's SoC has a hardware random number generator, added the sys-apps/rng-tools package to start using it for /dev/random.
  • Added the top-level package media-sound/mpd and media-sound/mpc (a music player daemon and client).
  • Added a (first-cut, 64-bit) build of media-libs/raspberrypi-userland, so you can now use vcgencmd etc. Please note that (as with all 64-bit distros for the RPi3 at the moment), MMAL and OpenMax IL features are not supported (see also this issue).
  • For those wishing to share files with Windows boxes, net-fs/samba is now bundled (you need to configure and activate it yourself, however, see e.g. these notes).
  • Added a /etc/sysctl.d rule to optimize cache usage settings for low memory (per this article).
  • Added a service (rpi3-safecompositor) which turns off display compositing if a high pixel clock is detected (> 1.2175MHz, currently). This is because certain applications, for example LibreOffice v6 Draw and Impress, can cause the whole system to lock-up when used with compositing on under such conditions.
  • Added a startup service (rpi3-ethfix) to workaround some of the RPi3B+ Ethernet issues via ethtool.
  • Various minor ebuild tidy-ups.
  • All packages brought up-to-date against the Gentoo tree, as of 3 June 2018 (including Firefox Quantum v60.0.1).

A variant image for the Pi-Top v1 (an RPi3-based DIY laptop) is also included.

Have fun ^-^

And, as always, any problems or comments, please post in this thread!

sakaki
roylongbottom
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Slow 3B+ Multithreading Performance - Temperature or Power? Reply with quote

Slow 3B+ Multithreading Performance - Temperature or Power?

On running my multithreading benchmarks, I noted unusual slow performance from certain tests. The first was the Whetstone benchmark, with independent copies of the program, using 1, 2, 4 and 8 threads. Then, the running time should not increase much using up to 4 threads, but should be just over twice as long using 8. As shown in the example below, the 4 thread test was too slow and this was particularly due to the long running COS test.

Code:

MWIPS MFLOPS MFLOPS MFLOPS   Cos   Exp     Fixpt      If  Equal
                 1      2      3  MOPS  MOPS   ## MOPS    MOPS   MOPS

1T  1112.9  352.1  379.0  319.2  22.0  12.7 1641076.6  2722.5 1328.7
 2T  2250.7  717.5  767.4  656.4  44.5  25.5 2684285.1  5456.3 2652.7
 4T  2899.0 1342.3 1525.3 1048.1  42.6  46.1 1959513.0  4497.3 4319.1
 8T  3433.1 1654.1 1804.6 1106.4  55.2  47.8 2453184.1 10960.3 4994.0

Overall Seconds   5.14 1T,   5.11 2T,   8.08 4T,  13.66 8T

## over optimised but always had little effect on overall MWIPS

A (not official) 2.5 amp power supply was used and this was connected via a digital meter that measures current and voltage. During the tests, this reported constant over 5 volts and less than 1 amp. I suspected overheating and ran my RPiHeatMHz program at the same time, producing the results below and showing that the CPU MHz flipped into 600 MHz at the time of slow recorded performance. Although the temperature was not excessive. I carried out further tests with the system wrapped in bags of frozen food. The failures still occurred with recorded temperatures of less than 30°C.

Code:
 Temperature and CPU MHz Measurement

Start at Mon Jun 18 23:09:26 2018

Using 40 samples at 1 second intervals

Seconds
    0.0     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=55.8'C
    1.0     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=55.8'C
    2.2     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=55.8'C
    3.3     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=56.4'C 1T
    4.5     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=56.9'C
    5.7     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=56.9'C
    6.9     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=56.9'C
    8.0     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=57.5'C 2T
    9.2     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=58.0'C
   10.4     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=58.0'C
   11.7     1400 scaling MHz,   1399 ARM MHz, temp=59.1'C
   12.9     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=59.1'C 4T
   14.1     1400 scaling MHz,    600 ARM MHz, temp=59.1'C
   15.4     1400 scaling MHz,    600 ARM MHz, temp=59.1'C
   16.8     1400 scaling MHz,    600 ARM MHz, temp=58.0'C
   18.3     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=60.1'C
   19.6     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=60.7'C
   20.8     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=61.2'C
   22.0     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=61.8'C 8T
   23.3     1400 scaling MHz,    600 ARM MHz, temp=60.1'C
   24.9     1400 scaling MHz,    600 ARM MHz, temp=60.1'C
   26.4     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=60.7'C
   27.6     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=61.2'C
   To
   38.8     1400 scaling MHz,   1400 ARM MHz, temp=60.1'C

Next, I tried using my official Pi 2 amp power supply and that seemed to be fine, but caused the failures when the meter was included, needing connection using a longer wire. It also failed when just the wire extension was included.

The above benchmarks were the 64 bit variety, run via Gentoo. So next, I ran the 32 bit program via Raspbian. That ran successfully using the 2.5 amp power supply, with the meter monitoring demands. There was also no problem using the 2 amp unit, but note that the 32 bit benchmark is slightly slower than the 64 bit version. However, it did fail after including the power extension cable.

I have ordered an official 2.5 amp power supply and will see how it goes.

Roy
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to exclude modemmanager from the system?
I can mask it in the /etc/portage/package.mask , but
but I can't rebuild networkmanager with -modemmanager flag because it is pulled in nm-applet and so..

I wish to do this because software for the drones, which I use, can conflict with the modemmanager.
If I remove modemmanager by emerge -C, then each time emerge returns error like
Code:
!!! existing preserved libs:
>>> package: net-misc/modemmanager-1.6.12
 *  - /usr/lib64/libmm-glib.so.0
 *  - /usr/lib64/libmm-glib.so.0.3.0
 *      used by /usr/bin/nm-applet (gnome-extra/nm-applet-1.8.10-r1)
 *      used by /usr/lib64/NetworkManager/libnm-wwan.so (net-misc/networkmanager-1.10.6)
Use emerge @preserved-rebuild to rebuild packages using these libraries

and emerge --depclean wont work.

Of-course I can tolerate with this if more ar less easy solution does not exist.
orion777
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I'm getting failed system during genup. What was done:
The gentoo was 1,5 month old, genup was discarded from the cron weekly, because I'm using custom kernel with MPTCP implementation. The key problem with this kernel is that when its make modules_install was done, the native kernel will boot in degraded mode (no network interfaces, xserver start freeze the computer, no custom resolution,... but the file system is accessible).

To run genup:
I was started emerge -v rpi3-64bit-meta WITHOUT dev-embedded/rpi3-64bit-meta -kernel-bin in the /etc/portage/package.use/rpi3-64bit-meta
Next I was added dev-embedded/rpi3-64bit-meta -kernel-bin to the /etc/portage/package.use/rpi3-64bit-meta and rerun
pi64 ~ # emerge -v rpi3-64bit-meta
pi64 ~ # emerge --depclean

Now I was copying my custom kernel to the /boot
but I forgot to run make modules_install again!

Next, through the ssh with screen /usr/sbin/genup was started.

When I come back after some hours, the rpi3 was running (warm CPU, touched by hand), but there is no response from ssh client. Reboot does not help.
Next, monitor was attached via hdmi. It shows such welcome screen:
This is (none) (Linux aarch64 4.14.44-v8+) 20:20:20 (none instead of pi64!!)

I'm able to login, but there is no network interfaces, none of commands like make menuconfig, make modules_install are working, returning an error read-only file system (remember that my laptop with this custom kernel and modules_install, but using native kernel still is able to access the file system, only network interfaces, etc will fail).
Original kernel probably boot the system (as it responds on ctrl+alt+del), but the screen is empty (probably video chip is not started) (I was trying to boot from the original kernel by putting it thru the card reader).

I'm still able to access the file system via card reader of the laptop, but I don't know how to solve this problem :( If someone have any ideas, these are welcome, because reinstalling again and again.. rpi3 64 bit image, kernel implementation and custom drone software are time-expensive..
Goverp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orion777 wrote:
Is it possible to exclude modemmanager from the system?
I can mask it in the /etc/portage/package.mask , but
but I can't rebuild networkmanager with -modemmanager flag because it is pulled in nm-applet and so..

While I've not tried on this system (only just installed it and hardly played with it yet), my (AMD) laptop is KDE-based, and uses wpa_supplication and its GUI alone to manage WiFi. Neither networkmanager nor modemmanager are installed, nor whatever else they drag in. The Gentoo wiki entries tell you how to set it up - important point to realize is you don't use the openrc net stuff at all. I've also installed uberlord's dhcpcd-ui but not used it yet. IIUC, it provides management of wired Ethernet as well as WiFi, so it provides most of the useful function of networkmanager without a slew of pretty-but-unnecessary lint.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 14 of 20

Jump to: