Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
getrandom() ENOSYS (Function not implemented)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: getrandom() ENOSYS (Function not implemented) Reply with quote

Long story short - I have 2 arm boards - BananaPi and OrangePi. Both have the same settings and config with the only major difference that OrangePi uses LibreSSL.
The kernels are prebuilt (because I don't want to deal with cross-compiling), BananaPi kernel 3.4.103, OrangePi 3.4.39.

The problem is that since April I'm unable to connect to OrangePi. Initially I saw that dhcpcd failed to finish setting the IP ( I receive it, but fails after this). I'm able to set an IP manually and have connection. Then I decided to leave it with static IP, but I figured out sshd couldn't start either.

After days of different attempts I ended up using strace and I saw the error from the subject - "getrandom(…..) ENOSYS (Function not implemented)". Actually everything which requires any cryptography fails to start.

My further research showed that getrandom() has something to do with the kernel and glibc(https://old.lwn.net/Articles/711013/) - things, which I don't fully understand.

The fact that BananaPi works and OrangePi doesn't makes me thing it could be because of LibreSSL as this is the only major difference.

How can I fix this? Should I downgrade glibc? Or there are other ways.

I'm able to use portage and download/update/recompile packages, but because I can't connect remotely to the OrangePi it is hard for me to get any output of it and I'm sorry I don't post any.

If the output is really needed I can try to setup some web server and try to POST/PUT something using http. I'd appreciate any other ideas how to get output out of the box to post here.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DTL ...

man getrandom wrote:
ENOSYS The glibc wrapper function for getrandom() determined that the underlying kernel does not implement this system call.

... so that leaves you needing to build your own, assuming this device has ARCH_RANDOM/HW_RANDOM.

best ... khay
DTL
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is what I'm avoiding all the time :)

I don't have anything with Linux for cross-compiling and I really don't want to do it.

So my two options are - downgrade of glibc and kernel compilation.

I may try to find compiled kernel and try with it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on ARM All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: