Method for document checking
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Method for document checking Reply with quote

I have an old hard drive that became corrupt/damages but was able to take some action and recover some of the files (there are now literally hundreds without names and many of them). Since I know that many are not actually recoverable, but others that are would be scattered throughout the directory (folder) therefore does anyone know of a way to check which of these (mostly docs, xls, and other microsoft like rtf) to maybe sort the list by actual readability of the files so that I don't have to go through it one at a time, which could take a year or more to do if I go little by little like I have been doing.[/bug]
LIsLinuxIsSogood
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually in case that there isn't any suggestions I was also wondering since I know that executing or opening a corrupt file may be not a good idea, but what about writing, reading or copying from one disk to the other (in order keep files until later when I can try to recover them). Is there danger in doing that?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
but what about writing, reading or copying from one disk to the other (in order keep files until later when I can try to recover them). Is there danger in doing that?

you mean like a backup? :wink:

no that should be fine unless the backup has data corruption issues as well.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
Hu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a disk is in sufficiently bad shape, it may have a measurable and low number of read passes / hours of life left. Copy everything you might want to save onto a good drive, then work from there. At worst, some files may fail to copy if the disk is too far gone. If your problem is purely data corruption and the hardware is in good order, there is a chance that working from a corrupt filesystem could confuse the kernel into crashing. Generally, that should not happen, but be aware and try not to leave any unsaved work open until you are done working with the corrupt filesystem.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood,

Quote:
... there are now literally hundreds without names ...
that sounds like you used fsck to 'help' before you used ddrescue to make a drive image.
The contents of lost+found are fragments, identified by inode number. The fragments may not even be complete files.

fsck makes the filesystem metadata self consistent. It says nothing about user dat that may be on the filesystem.
Even files that you can navigate to via the directory structure may be damaged.

You can use a tool like file to look at the start of files and guess what they are.
Unfortunately, that only tells about the starts. The middles and ends can be corrupt or missing. The same goes for the fragments in lost+found.

You are trying to put Humpty Dumpty together again and don't even know if you have all the pieces.

Your next step is a drive image with ddrescue since you want to prevent whatever you have now from deteriorating further.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: