Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bghoons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
What is cryptic to you? You haven't set a python target, so you use whatever is the default. The default will change, Portage will take care of it.
Your system could use some cleanup if you still have 3.4 on there.

bghoons wrote:
It will be interesting to see how this will impact my system, especially if a new kernel comes out right about the same time.
Kernel update does not care what python version is default...

I come from a production environment where this process was followed to implement ANY change on the system:

1. submit request to Change Management (CM) for implementing change in Test Environment
2. CM approves request, works with project managers (PM) to schedule a time and date for testing in Test Environment
3. load balancing is performed, data sent through the entire system testing the changed software
4. submit change request to CM to implement change on Production Servers
5. CM & PM schedules change for weekend or after 8 PM. "Emergency" changes require High Management approval
6. The change is implemented

Seeing as that is where I am coming from, accustomed to a rule of thumb: "Never make more than one major and 2 minor changes to the system",
having a kernel upgrade at the same time as a Python upgrade ought not to be done due to the risk of implementing "big" changes to the system.

Gentoo ~ The future is just a compile away
ct85711
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Seeing as that is where I am coming from, accustomed to a rule of thumb: "Never make more than one major and 2 minor changes to the system",
having a kernel upgrade at the same time as a Python upgrade ought not to be done due to the risk of implementing "big" changes to the system.

Now, you know when you install gentoo-sources and/or genkernel, they only install the sources, meaning you have to go and recompile the kernel yourself. At the same token, there is no reason why you can not wait on compiling the updated kernel and/or even skip some versions all together. I know for me, I generally ignore all kernel updates, only updating it when I need to, for some other packages needing something specific set. I end up being lucky if I update the kernel twice a year, usually once a year or every few years.
npaust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to jump on this topic because my question because June 22 has come and gone and none of my systems (I have six computers running gentoo) have changed to building python packages against python 3.6.

The news article suggests that there should be some global flag set to include python3_6 in PYTHON_TARGETS and PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET, but that didn't appear on my computer. On one test computer, I've put the correct python3_6 flag in my make.conf and emerge --info correctly shows that it's working.

However, on computers which don't include PYTHON_TARGETS or PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET in the make.conf, it still lists only python2_7 and python3_5 in emerge --info

Am I doing something wrong? Is there something basic that I'm failing to understand? Where exactly are the system-wide PYTHON_TARGETS and PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET variables being set?

If it makes any difference, I'm using the default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop and default/linux/amd64/17.0/desktop/plasma profiles on my different machines.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They rolled it back because it wasn't ready. No idea when this will go through again. You can set them manually if you really want to move to 3.6.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/656406#c1

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
npaust
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, it would probably be nice if the mods pulled the news article then, the same way that they pulled whatever the mpfr-4 update was. I'm sitting here chasing my tail because the official news changed and no one mentioned it in an official way.

Maybe Trump's rubbing off on people! :)
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

npaust wrote:
Ahh, it would probably be nice if the mods pulled the news article then
In the news forum, I see the Github announcement and a series of GLSAs. Nothing about this. Please use the report button on the post you want pulled and someone will see to it.
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2018-05-22-python3-6.html

Reported.
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
Hu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reported to whom? I meant to report a forum post to the general forum reporting thread. That is a news item, not a forum post. Forum moderators cannot do anything about that through the forum interface. (Some forum moderators might also have other administrative permissions and be able to affect a news item, though.)
bghoons
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have updated to the new Python 3_6, took about 2 hours to update everything. LibreOffice-bin stubbornly insisted on keeping Python 3_5

So, all in all, the upgrade was kind of like the Y2K bug, a non-event.

Those were weird times, Y2K. My grandmother called me very worried the electric grid would shut down and there would be a mass exodus from the cities when they ran out of food. Hucksters were selling Survival Packets, meat buckets, and all manner of Doomsday stuff.

Since I was maintaining COBOL code at the time, the issue was a nothing-burger, and I told Granny not to worry. I gave her my absolute promise nothing would happen other than maybe --maybe, a few tiny isolated incidents. We were all on stand-by and on call ready to pounce on any problem. None occurred on our huge system that handled all of a major corporation's billing and records.

Anyway, I used eselect to set my Python target to be 3_6. Other than a number changing from "5" to "6" I do not notice anything different at all.

eselect python list
Available Python interpreters, in order of preference:
[1] python3.6
[2] python3.5 (uninstalled)
[3] python2.7 (fallback)

Gentoo ~ The Future Is Just A Compile Away
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libreoffice-bin will want to keep py35 as it is a binary package and the present build is py35. I use libreoffice-bin and I am py36
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bghoons wrote:
I have updated to the new Python 3_6, took about 2 hours to update everything. LibreOffice-bin stubbornly insisted on keeping Python 3_5

Bug
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: