Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gordonb3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
No offence, but you haven't; changing that as you seem to intend, would not be any sort of fix. It would be a terrible idea, given that the dependencies are unavailable in the tree (per the comment, and this whole thread.)

I understand that portage output can be hard to understand, especially at first. You'll get used to it.
Unsure what you think you understand, but that it would be a bad idea for a user to manually try override the faulty restriction set by this eclass is exactly the point I was making.

Which is why I filed this as a bug, with reference to the fact that this rule conflicts with the make defaults for various hardware platforms.

Now would you mind stop being a smart-ass and stop trying to draw conclusions from the fact that I don't spam this forum as much as you do?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeezus, you really need an attitude adjustment.

I'm sorry your life is clearly making you miserable atm; please, stop taking it out on the rest of us, who have absolutely nothing to do with your problems.

As for the point you were making, "I found the issue," and "devs don't do that" implied the opposite.

Perhaps you might consider a remedial grammar course, as well as the counselling you clearly need so desperately.

Behaving like an arrogant fool on a web-forum, really is a bad sign.

Now would you mind stop behaving like an arrogant dicq, and go piss somewhere else, angry boy?

Try that approach on in ##c or #bash on IRC: chat.freenode.net, for example.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordonb3 wrote:
Which is why I filed this as a bug, with reference to the fact that this rule conflicts with the make defaults for various hardware platforms.
I don't see a bug number link anywhere in this thread. Could you provide a link to this bug report?
gordonb3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@SteveL
Sorry there mate. I don't believe in God, so I have absolutely no problem telling you that you are wrong.

@Hu
Bug 654832
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gordonb3 wrote:
@SteveL
Sorry there mate. I don't believe in God, so I have absolutely no problem telling you that you are wrong.
Your complete non-sequitur aside, that's fine.

I have no problem telling you that you are wrong, either. Snappy putdowns pretending to know what the other party is thinking, are another really bad sign.
Couching them with ad-hominem insults ("stop being a smart-ass" .. who "spams the forums") will get you reported, by those with thinner skins (and just about any "developer".)

Glad we understand each other.

You must try IRC, if you haven't already.
Zucca

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@steveL: Maybe better to stop feeding...
*sigh*
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
gordonb3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are a very misguided person, Steve. I do not have to pretend what you are thinking, because you are making it very clear that you think you know everything. The truth is that you have absolutely no clue what Gentoo is or can be when you don't treat it like one of the main binary distributions. Apparently you also never heard about overlays and the only thing you know about package.mask, package.unmask, package.use etc. is that portage sometimes wants you to accept some changes to it.

The fact is that nothing that you or any of the other `known to be helpful to others` contributors have posted in this thread was accurate information. The bizarre thing is that even though I pointed you to the real source of the issue you still want to be right about your original assumption that this is about a package being masked. It is not, it never was. How difficult can it be for someone that has an open mind like you to accept that you didn't get it and probably still don't?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca: I concur. However, I feel I must correct at least one or two misconceptions, before I part this god-awful thread.
gordonb3 wrote:
How difficult can it be for someone that has an open mind like you to accept that you didn't get it and probably still don't?
Good Lord, man, everyone stopped talking about your technical problem several posts ago. It's the manifestation of your other problems that is moot.

How difficult is it for you to accept that you do not in fact know what I am thinking? I certainly never posited that I "know everything"; if you knew me at all, you would know that is never my position.
I have made far too many mistakes in my life, and further I am a programmer, so I spend most of my waking time correcting my own mistakes; for even a presumption of correctness to be something I'd even feel comfortable with, let alone claim to; never mind "knowing everything" (a technical impossibility for any mind, organic or otherwise, by definition.)
So again, you are pretending to know what I think, when you have NFC in reality.

As for your assertion that I am "a very misguided person", I think we've reached the point where I must ask you kindly to desist from further personal insults.

Don't know where you get the idea that I am "open-minded" from, either. It reads like a sociopath trying to mollify his or her victim, after sticking the knife in, while twisting it around some more on the way back out.

Trust me, your online life will be a lot smoother once you let go of your delusion of innate knowledge of someone, simply based on a few bits of text, output somewhat haphazardly on someone's downtime.
Or is that you think you are God?

If so, you should know that is a very common ego delusion in older men with undiagnosed mental-health problems (and quite a few diagnosed, too.)

You clearly feel that there is a "conspiracy" of "known to be helpful to others" people, out to get you by proving their ego-worth in a web-forum, after they all failed so spectacularly to spot the problem you got out there and tracked down (like a boss, goddammit.)

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this really is all in your head. No one gives a damn, to put it colloquially; and certainly not about ego-gratification of that sort: we are too old for that idiocy.
It's nice that you feel you corrected a flaw in some text file somewhere, and that this proves something in your head if no-one else's. The glaring flaws in your anti-social approach to others you are seeking help from, might be considered more pressing.

Perhaps you might reflect on what causes you to be so bilious, so immediately, to people you've never even met.
I do hope you don't talk to strangers on the road like that.. or indeed those close to you IRL.

Seriously, make it easier on yourself; talk this crap out with a counsellor, instead of inflicting it on people who have nothing to do with it, at all.
It isn't weakness to talk to someone professional: rather, it is a sign of strength.
Weakness is in pretending that delusion is fact, and that things don't really affect you at all, when it is so stonkingly obvious to everyone else that yes, they really do.

Have fun on freenode, when you finally come down off that high-horse, and join the rest of us "sheeple" down here in the real world.
At that point, you will be glad of the anonymity of the old-school web (as opposed to the anti-social media you seem to have been raised on.)
gordonb3
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

I started this topic and the only obnoxious and insulting person here is you. That is: you're the only one still here as those other two jokers have left.

You looked at my registration date and the number of posts I placed and you concluded I'm a newbie in Gentoo that needs to know his place. Because the three of you think that you have the most experience here you automatically dismiss everything I say because according to you it is impossible for you to be wrong.

Just for you. One more time:

1. a masked package does not throw the error that this topic is about
  2. should my system require it I can unmask a package and continue using it - not in this case though
  3. contrary to your saying, the masked package that prompted this topic is in fact still available in the main portage tree
  4. should that package be dropped, I can still add it to an overlay should my system depend on it
  5. the former would at least apply to arm64 which by the make.defaults still names ruby 2.1 as the only stable version - which has disappeared from the main tree
  6. this topic is really NOT about ruby, but since you're so smart you already got that, right?
  7. no that is not an insult, that is sarcasm - you should try to learn the difference

Since you're not contributing anything to this topic, just go away. Go annoy your wife and have her throw something heavy at you or do something other that helps you blow off steam.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: