View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] kmymoney-5.0.1-r2 report printing doesn't work Reply with quote

My kmymoney setup migrated smoothly to 5.0.1-r2, thanks guys, except all printing seems to be a null operation. I wanted to send some reports to PDF, but that doesn't work, nor to a printer. I can get the same print dialog box from other KDE apps, and they print properly.

I though I'd trace requesting the print, but from the code, kmymoney needs compiling for debug; unfortunately USE=debug on the ebuild is also a null operation. There may be other techniques to get some diagnostics, but kmymoney, like most of KDE, doesn't seem to like documentation, or at least not current documentation, or if they do, it's hidden. :-(

IIUC a correctly debug-enabled kmymoney responds to "--trace" on the command line, but as I say, the debug option doesn't do what it should.

So
a) Can anyone confirm printing is broken?
b) Any pointers on debugging, or should I just report it, and if so in bugs.gentoo.org, or upstream, or both?

Last edited by Goverp on Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if a basic strace doesn't give you what you need, you might want to try tinkering with package.env

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki//etc/portage/package.env

i would recommend using the -g and -ggdb options.

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also reported upstream as https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=393953.

A bit more detail - if you print to PDF, and if there is already an existing file with the same name, it does pop up asking if you want to overwrite, but then does not do so.

With the 9999 versions in the KDE overlay, you get the same behavior if you have the webkit use flag, but not if you have -webkit. However, unless I have something backwards (which is quite possible) the webkit use flag leads to -DENABLE_WEBENGINE=ON, but the 5.0.1-r2 ebuild has it OFF, which seems backwards.

Is this perhaps related to this bug? I think I remember some discussion about ENBALE_WEBENGING on the kmymoney-devel mailing list, but I"m going to have to go searching for it.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@genterminl: webengine support is disabled because the upstream buildsystem was broken last time I checked. At the time it also required a non-stable version of Qt, and I did not have the time to fix it anyway.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emerged kmymoney-9999 with -webkit, so it used qtwebengine-5.9.4 with qtcore 5.9.4-r2 and with only a little testing, I don't see any problems, and printing seems to work correctly. I also see that I misread the ebuild, to webkit does NOT use webengine and -webkit DOES use webengine, so the print problem occurs without webenging (which is the case for 5.0.1-r2.

So, it seems using webengine is now ok, and I still have no idea why printing does not work in kmymoney. I had been trying to track it down in reports, but that involves plugins, which I have not been able to debug, but the same problem occurs on the home page, so maybe I'll be able to strace that, or run under gdb.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on my Artix linux box, it prints OK with or without WebEngine. so it seems the problem is only seen on Gentoo, when NOT using WebEngine, I'm wondering if there is some particular combination of toolchain and library versions, and maybe some particular configuration settings which trigger it.

I did manag to compile a version from git head, and even used gdb to trace through printing, but I just got lost in there, once the code got out of KMM itself. If someone can give me a better idea what to look for, I'll be glad to try again.

I currently have KDE Frameworks 5.43.0 and qtcore 5.9.4-r2 (the KMM about dialog says built against 5.7.1, but I'm not sure WHAT is built against that version.) I suppose I'll kick off some additional rebuilds, as I have gcc 7.3.0-r1, but I know I have not yet rebuilt everything with that version. Although I have not seen any problems other than this printing issue, is it possibly due to this? I don't thinkn so - as the OP is using 6.4.0 (his emerge --info posted to the KDE bug.)

Any other troubleshooting suggestions?
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've solved it!

As discussed above, the ebuild configures kmymoney to not use QtWebEngine, so instead it uses QtWebKit.
QtWebKit::5 introduced several new USE flags. One's called "printsupport". Guess what? By default it's off, so there's no printing support.
Code:
USE="printsupport" emerge dev-qt/qtwebkit

solves the problem.

Out of interest, building and running kmymoney with ENABLE_WEBENGINE only "sort of" works - I did print successfully once or twice, but then it started segfaulting on print.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there are valid reasons to compile qtwebkit without support for printing, but shouldn't it then issue some type of error if called on to print? KMyMoney just fails silently in such cases, so the functions seem to be present, but just don't do anything. In terms of KMyMoney, should the ebuild also depend on the printsupport USE flag if webkit is enabled? If not, is there any reasonable way to print a warning at emerge time to notify the user that if printing doesn't work, the printsupport USE flag needs to be set for qtwebkit?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE=printsupport is default enabled in desktop profile, so...
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

asturm wrote:
USE=printsupport is default enabled in desktop profile, so...

Strange. I use "desktop/plasma (stable)" profile, and had no entries overriding printsupport anywhere in /etc/portage, but my QtWebKit didn't support printing.
genterminl
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grepping for printsupport under /usr/portage/profiles/ only shows it enabled for PyQt5, not qtwebkit. Am I missing something, or is something missing?
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it was indeed missing (eyesight failure), but meanwhile it was fixed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: