Won't boot after new mobo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eniax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:28 am    Post subject: Won't boot after new mobo Reply with quote

I had a Gigabyte AX370-Gaming 5 that had the BIOS chip crap out. RMA'd and they sent me a brand new board. Now my Gentoo installation isn't recognized by the board and I just get that "Please insert bootable media and press ENTER"

Ryzen 7 1700
Corsair DDR4 3000 16GB kit
Gigabyte Aorus AX370 Gaming 5
Nvidia GTX1060
250GB Samsung nvme

I booted a USB with Fedora and looked through the disk which seems to be just fine, all partitions are there and mountable, including the boot sections. I've cleared CMOS and restored default setting but have not been able to have any success. I spent weeks getting Gentoo set up how I wanted it so i'm hoping for any help to keep it.

Thanks in advance.
russK
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be perhaps EFI settings need to be written to the new board. Take a look at the bootloader section of the handbook and see if it jogs your memory of how you did the install in the first place. I suspect you can redo either the grub-install step or efibootmgr, depending on how you did the original install. Boot with the install media that you used initially or burn a sysrescuecd to boot from and enter the chroot environment. You can generally redo the bootloader steps without an issue. If you are unsure, ask more questions first.

Regards
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As russK said, please tell us if you are booting EFI or legacy and with which bootloader.
Since you had it working on a previous board of the same model, it's highly unlikely to be a kernel or gentoo init system.

I'm guessing that you have a different BIOS version. And russK's probably right that you need to reinstall the EFI bootloader.
Eniax
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
As russK said, please tell us if you are booting EFI or legacy and with which bootloader.
Since you had it working on a previous board of the same model, it's highly unlikely to be a kernel or gentoo init system.

I'm guessing that you have a different BIOS version. And russK's probably right that you need to reinstall the EFI bootloader.

Thank you both, a reinstall of the EFI bootloader was all I needed to do. didn't know it was needed after hardware changes like that.

:mrgreen:
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eniax wrote:
Thank you both, a reinstall of the EFI bootloader was all I needed to do. didn't know it was needed after hardware changes like that.
:mrgreen:
It's black magic to me too! I suspect Micro$oft made it that way to discourage Linux/FreeBSD.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eniax wrote:
[...] a reinstall of the EFI bootloader was all I needed to do. didn't know it was needed after hardware changes like that.

Eniax ... efivars (the stuff efibootmgr writes) are stored in NVRAM, and not on disk/MBR. If you wanted to avoid this happening you could use {ESP}/efi/boot/bootx64.efi as the location for grub2, rEFInd, or what-have-you. This is where the EFI standard states the fallback efi executable is located, and so your firmware should find it.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: