View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Another Plasma black screen issue Reply with quote

So on a fresh build KDE starts with a black screen and remains black. I have a mouse pointer that's all.

ALT-F2, ALT-SPACE do not work.

Occasionally when I hit CTRL+ALT+BSPACE I see a KDE dialog flash up for a split second.

From the looks of the .cache, .kde and .local folders being created KDE is actually running, but is not displaying anything.

I am starting X as a user with startx. I have "exec startkde" in my .xinitrc

Using xinit to launch firefox or chrome works perfectly, so the X11 display is functional.

Trying to capture the startkde output is difficult, even xinit'ing xterm and running startkde using:

startkde > start.log 2>&1

Does not capture much of it. There are lots of errors about missing service entries and I have seen a segfault occasionally from ksmserver but that might be related to hard killing it with CTRL+ALT+BSpace.

Any ideas on how to further diagnose?

This is my first systemd build, is there anything I might have forgotten to do that would prevent KDE accessing it's XSession correctly?

I installed plasma with plasma-meta. Do I need to do kde-meta as well?
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have worked at this for a few evenings. I've installed kde-meta which made no change.

Investigating further and KDE is actually running. It's just the display is black. For example if I xinit xterm, xterm appears. If I then run "startkde", the screen goes black, however the mouse pointer still turns to a text caret when I move it over where the xterm window was. I can click on it and CTRL+C startkde to kill it.

I'm fairly baffled by this. There are lots of errors in the startkde startup output, but then, when is that something new?

I'm still wondering if this is an issue with systemd and permissions. Everything except for KDE can present on the X11 display.
pietinger

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with a black screen after a qt update. This helped me:

export QML_DISABLE_DISK_CACHE=1

(I dont know why, because I didnt mount my home-partition with noexec)
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
I had the same problem with a black screen after a qt update. This helped me:

export QML_DISABLE_DISK_CACHE=1

(I dont know why, because I didnt mount my home-partition with noexec)

I'll this a go when I get home, thanks.

I also found that even starting "kwin_x11" produces the black screen. I was reading elsewhere that Plasma might be inadvertantly defaulting to Wayland for compositing which is not yet supported on NVidia cards due to wars going on between different parties and NVidia refusing to follow wayland as currently implemented. This opens the option to downgrade to a lower version of plasma which might fix this.

So I have a few leads.
venquessa2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, unfortunately it didn't work :(

I also took a look and there are no older versions of kde-plasma in portage :(

xfce4 works, for now. Which oddly seems to be using half of KDE anyway! I have Dolphin, my K menu and a bunch of other bits of KDE it seems.

Really disappointed in KDE now. the internet is absolutely stuffed full of "Black screen" issues with, what seems like dozens of causes.

I have also isolated the KDE issue to kwin. "kwin_x11 --replace" hides all the windows, leaves the xfce4 desktop background and then stays that way, so instead of black I just get what was the last background.

kwin_wayland just segfaults, but that is expected with NVidia.

I think I need to dig deeper into my OpenGL setup and make sure everything else is working.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: