Keyring applications: WTF?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Keyring applications: WTF? Reply with quote

Here comes the revenge for having ignored Linux desktops for a too long time: I need some "explain like I'm 5" for a thing. :)

The usual backstory:
When I had set up my newest web server which gave me a lot of additional free space, I decided that this might be a good moment to see how nextCloud has evolved over the past few years. I remember having tried ownCloud when it was in an early development state and I did not like it. I preferred "the right tool for the right job", and there were radicale for CalDAV and seafile for a "Dropbox" replacement. Sadly, seafile is not (yet?) compatible with my new web server's OS, so, since I'm not that stubborn, I tried nextCloud again. I admit that I pretty much like it now. Ah, new times.

The keyring issue:
The nextCloud sync clients on Windows and Android do exactly what I want them to. However, net-misc/nextcloud-client mostly works, but it asks me for my password every time, complaining that "no keyring application" is installed. That makes auto-starting it too annoying. A quick search revealed that KDE and GNOME seem to have keyring applications, but I try to keep my desktop (currently, Window Maker) as thin as possible.

TL;DR:
How does a keyring application work (wouldn't I have to enter my password every time anyway?) and which keyring application gives me the least overhead?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like that error comes from dev-libs/qtkeychain.

It has a libsecret interface as an alternative to gnome-wallet/kwallet, but that doesn't help much - the only things that seem to implement a backend for it are... gnome and kde.
pun_guin
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew. :( OK, thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: