[AMD]Dual Monitor window's problem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Babaorheum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: [AMD]Dual Monitor window's problem Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm trying to explain correctly my problem. It's the first time that I use dual monitor on Linux. I already done that on Windows without problem.

My GPU is a AMD rx560, the Screen #1 is connected to the DisplayPort (1920x1080) and the Screen #2 is connected to the HDMI Port (1366x768).
The Dual Monitor works, i can move my cursor or windows on the both screen. The problem comes when i want to miximize a window (console, firefox, vlc etc...)

## Windows 10 ##
If I launch VLC on the screen #1 and maximize it, VLC's windows use all the screen #1. I can easily open Firefox on the screen #2 and miximize it too.

## Gentoo ##
If i launch VLC on the screen #1 and maximize it, VLC's windows use all the screen #1 AND the screen #2. This is not very good, i would like use VLC on screen #1 and firefox on screen #2 like on Windows.

I know that i don't explained correctly my problem so screenshot is better than words.

- Initial Console Size when i open it on my dual-monitor :
https://reho.st/self/c684ea084063a6a88e9c34d938345acf0aced4dd.png

- Console's windows maximized like on Windows 10 :
https://reho.st/self/75b762fb37006dc572ffd6a8a703898e54a18b64.png

- Console's windows maximized like on Gentoo :
https://reho.st/self/310b19afdb45dcde63b708a53ca4fe22d575ea7a.png

Do you see the problem ?
With Nvidia GPU and Nvidia-Settings on my laptop, i don't have this problem. But with the AMDGPU driver and Xorg, i don't know how to resolv my issue.

Thanks for your help,
Babaorheum
radio_flyer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possibly a desktop manager problem. I'm running three 4K monitors side-by-side with the AMDGPU drivers and a Radeon RX580 using KDE 5 as my desktop manager. No problems dragging windows around all three monitors, and when I maximize an application window it maximizes on just the monitor containing the application window. So what you're trying to achieve is certainly possible with AMDGPU and Xorg. Which desktop manager are you using?
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There might be a setting in VLC for that; mpv fullscreen works fine on my RX550
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: [AMD]Dual Monitor window's problem Reply with quote

Babaorheum wrote:
## Windows 10 ##
If I launch VLC on the screen #1 and maximize it, VLC's windows use all the screen #1. I can easily open Firefox on the screen #2 and miximize it too.

## Gentoo ##
If i launch VLC on the screen #1 and maximize it, VLC's windows use all the screen #1 AND the screen #2. This is not very good, i would like use VLC on screen #1 and firefox on screen #2 like on Windows.
Babaorheum

I've had issues running dual head as well. While they were not the same as you described, I think their class of problem is similar.

Before I get to what worked for me, I do have one question. Do you boot into command line mode or do you boot in graphical mode?

If you boot into command line mode and then execute something like:
Code:
XESSION=startkde startx -- :0
then you must tell X11 about your dual head setup before you do your graphical login. To do that, I add the xorg.conf fragment to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-multihead.conf:
Code:
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "HDMI-0"
    Option      "Primary" "true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "DisplayPort-0"
    Option      "RightOf" "HDMI-0"
EndSection
The monitor names are the ones which come up when you open you windows manager's display settings.

Experience has shown me that the dual head behavior can be strange when starting from the command line without defining the monitor layout this way.

In addition, you need to open the display settings for whichever window manager you use and be sure your monitors are set side by side matching how you defined 30-multihead.conf.

For most installations, you do not need any xorg.conf configuration files. If you copied an xorg.conf file as a test, I suggest you delete it or rename it from *.conf to *.temp or move it to a directory not in any of the X-windows paths. I only have the fragment above as part of my xorg.conf installation.

Finally, you may have turned on support for treating both monitors as a single screen. This is different from treating both monitors as seperate screens on a single desktop (default). I don't know how to do the single screen across both monitors thing anymore so I can't tell you what to look for.

For reference, I'm running:
Code:
x11-base/xorg-server-1.19.5-r1
media-libs/mesa-18.0.0
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu-18.0.1
VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Kaveri [Radeon R7 Graphics]

FWIW - I'm in the middle of doing an @world update so the above package versions are sure to be incremented.

Finally, I'm not a big fan of VLC. I much prefer media-video/mpv as my general default media player. It doesn't have all the GUI convenience features such as VLC has but I really prefer it over VLC. Among other things, it lets me control which versions of libass and ffmpeg I want installed. Learning the command key codes was no big deal. If you continue to have problems with VLC, perhaps you should consider switching.

For many people on Windows, VLC is usually the first choice I recommend to them. mpv is second choice with the understanding they need to learn the command keys. Some people are willing and some are not. In linux, mpv is always the first choice I recommend. baka-mplayer is second and VLC is third. baka-mplayer wraps the libmpv library in a GUI for people who really like the point and click only interface.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: