Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Dantrell's GNOME Without Systemd Project (Part 1)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
my secret overlay

>:o

I ran into this problem today:
Code:

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) x11-misc/colord-1.3.5::dantrell-gnome
>>> Failed to emerge x11-misc/colord-1.3.5, Log file:

checking for gusb >= 0.2.7... no
configure: error: Package requirements (gusb >= 0.2.7) were not met:

No package 'gusb' found

Code:

[ebuild   R    ] x11-misc/colord-1.3.5:0/2::dantrell-gnome  USE="gusb introspection policykit udev vala -argyllcms -examples -extra-print-profiles -scanner (-systemd)" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[ebuild   R    ] dev-libs/libgusb-0.3.0::dantrell-gnome  USE="introspection vala -static-libs" ABI_X86="32 (64) (-x32)" 0 KiB

No idea if its meson or multilib related. Emerges fine with USE="-gusb" emerge colord
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if already reported but there is a problem with gnome-todo and >=dev-libs/libical-3.0.x
Code:
/gnome-todo/style"'  -MD -MQ 'src/src@@gnome-todo@exe/gtd-task.c.o' -MF 'src/src@@gnome-todo@exe/gtd-task.c.o.d' -o 'src/src@@gnome-todo@exe/gtd-task.c.o' -c ../gnome-todo-3.26.2/src/gtd-task.c
../gnome-todo-3.26.2/src/gtd-task.c: In function ‘gtd_task_set_complete’:
../gnome-todo-3.26.2/src/gtd-task.c:781:13: error: ‘icaltimetype {aka struct icaltimetype}’ has no member named ‘is_utc’; did you mean ‘is_date’?
           dt->is_utc = 1;
             ^~

this because in libical version 3.x is_utc is removed while in 2.x version is present. In gnome-todo 3.27 this seems resolved (at least is_utc isn't present)
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While updateing I get this error on emerging packagekit-base:

Code:
* Applying packagekit-base-1.1.5-support-elogind.patch ...
1 out of 4 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/pk-dbus.c.rej                    [ !! ]
 * ERROR: app-admin/packagekit-base-1.1.10::dantrell-gnome failed (prepare phase):
 *   patch -p1  failed with /var/tmp/portage/app-admin/packagekit-base-1.1.10/files/packagekit-base-1.1.5-support-elogind.patch

I dont know how related this is with the next thing, but I suddenly cannot use gdm anymore, as it results in a black screen, but sddm started via /etc/conf.d/xdm works fine and starts gnome or plasma.

Another thing I realized is the problem with gnome when trying to start a game with wine. I had troubles with mouse and screen resolution, which I could workaround by emulating a virtual desktop. So I changed over to plasma to see if that happens there too, and it does not. For booting plasma I changed to sddm, but now I cannot switch back to gdm, as it does not load corretly and results in a black screen. Are there any files I could delete to reset gdm to its defaults?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
No idea if its meson or multilib related.

Basically all of the Meson multilib ebuilds are broken.

The fastest way I know how to fix it is to add back support for autotools so that's what I did.

If anyone figures Meson+multilib out, please let me know. :twisted:

fedeliallalinea wrote:
I'm not sure if already reported but there is a problem with gnome-todo and >=dev-libs/libical-3.0.x [...]

Thanks for the heads up.

I backported support for Libical 3 to all applicable versions of GNOME Todo.

Elleni wrote:
While updateing I get this error on emerging packagekit-base [...]

I corrected the patch.

Elleni wrote:
I dont know how related this is with the next thing, but I suddenly cannot use gdm anymore, as it results in a black screen, but sddm started via /etc/conf.d/xdm works fine and starts gnome or plasma.

Probably not related.

Usually a GDM issue is elogind related and a black screen could mean elogind isn't started.

You can try downgrading GDM and/or elogind.

Elleni wrote:
Another thing I realized is the problem with gnome when trying to start a game with wine. I had troubles with mouse and screen resolution, which I could workaround by emulating a virtual desktop. So I changed over to plasma to see if that happens there too, and it does not. For booting plasma I changed to sddm, but now I cannot switch back to gdm, as it does not load corretly and results in a black screen. Are there any files I could delete to reset gdm to its defaults?

I'm not that familiar with GNOME+Wine.

But if it worked before then it just might be GNOME 3.28 (unless it's related to your GDM issue).
Spargeltarzan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I fixed my layman setup and upgraded without any issues to Gnome 3.28. Thanks Dantrell ;-) Is there a way to get a systray back in 3.28? I use hplip for my printer and the nextcloud sync client.

Spargeltarzan

Notebook: Lenovo YOGA 900-13ISK: Gentoo stable amd64, GNOME systemd, KVM/QEMU
Desktop-PC: Intel Core i7-4770K, 8GB Ram, AMD Radeon R9 280X, ZFS Storage, GNOME openrc, Dantrell, Xen
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:

When does the black screen happen? After you login using GDM? Or at some other moment?
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
Hi,

I fixed my layman setup and upgraded without any issues to Gnome 3.28. Thanks Dantrell ;-) Is there a way to get a systray back in 3.28? I use hplip for my printer and the nextcloud sync client.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
I corrected the patch.
Thank you, compiled fine now.
dantrell wrote:

Usually a GDM issue is elogind related and a black screen could mean elogind isn't started. You can try downgrading GDM and/or elogind.

I will check and try downgrading the one and/or the other to see where it comes from, ty.
dantrell wrote:

I'm not that familiar with GNOME+Wine. But if it worked before then it just might be GNOME 3.28 (unless it's related to your GDM issue).

Unfortunately I do not play very often, so I cant say if it is related to gnome 3.28 or if that behaviour was occuring also with older gnome versions, but it not important anyways :)
simonvanderveldt wrote:
When does the black screen happen? After you login using GDM? Or at some other moment?

Cant tell as I have configured autologin. Is there a way to disable that to see, if it happens before or after login? After downgrading elogind and re-upgrading as it changed nothing, I downgraded gdm to 3.26.2.1. Replacing custom.conf while etc-update autologin was disabled. Therefore I can now state it happens after login. I also found out, that I am actually logged in, as I can switch Alt +F1 and back Alt+F7 and then I can add password to unlock screen, not login. But when doing so, screen goes dark again.

I then tried login with another user, and there is no such problem. I also disabled all extensions on my userlogin, but still the same. So I guess somewhere in my user home there are wrong settings. Should I just delete /home/username/.gnome and .gnome2 and .gnome2_private or what else I could do to reset everything gnome and gdm related to standard values? On the otherside sddm is able to open me a gnome 3 session, so maybe there are gdm specific settings stored in the userhome?
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Therefore I can now state it happens after login. I also found out, that I am actually logged in, as I can switch Alt +F1 and back Alt+F7 and then I can add password to unlock screen, not login. But when doing so, screen goes dark again.

I then tried login with another user, and there is no such problem. I also disabled all extensions on my userlogin, but still the same. So I guess somewhere in my user home there are wrong settings. Should I just delete /home/username/.gnome and .gnome2 and .gnome2_private or what else I could do to reset everything gnome and gdm related to standard values? On the otherside sddm is able to open me a gnome 3 session, so maybe there are gdm specific settings stored in the userhome?

Can you try the following?
Once GDM starts and you are presented with the screen to login, don't login using GDM but switch to a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F1) and login from there.
Once you're logged in switch back to the virtual terminal GDM is running on (alt-F7) and login as normal. Does that work?
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spargeltarzan wrote:
Is there a way to get a systray back in 3.28? I use hplip for my printer and the nextcloud sync client.

saboya wrote:
https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1031/topicons/

You can either patch it back in or use an extension like the one saboya linked.

Elleni wrote:
Cant tell as I have configured autologin. Is there a way to disable that to see, if it happens before or after login? After downgrading elogind and re-upgrading as it changed nothing, I downgraded gdm to 3.26.2.1. Replacing custom.conf while etc-update autologin was disabled. Therefore I can now state it happens after login. I also found out, that I am actually logged in, as I can switch Alt +F1 and back Alt+F7 and then I can add password to unlock screen, not login. But when doing so, screen goes dark again.

simonvanderveldt wrote:
Once GDM starts and you are presented with the screen to login, don't login using GDM but switch to a virtual terminal (ctrl-alt-F1) and login from there.
Once you're logged in switch back to the virtual terminal GDM is running on (alt-F7) and login as normal. Does that work?

This actually does sound like the issue simonvanderveldt has been having but yours went away with a new user account (which I can't remember if he tried).

I would copy every suspected file and folder (e.g. you can leave any media out) from ~ to a new user then cycle through, appending ".tmp" to each file or folder until the issue goes away and continue narrowing it down from there.

Unless... the cause is ~/.config/monitors.xml? :o
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried simonvanderveldt suggestion first, but same thing. Then renamed monitors.xml and guess what, black screen was gone and normal login possible. After that, renamed monitors.xml back and its still working. So its solved somehow, I dont know how, as I expected to not be able to login with same old monitor.xml once renamed back. :twisted:
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
Tried simonvanderveldt suggestion first, but same thing. Then renamed monitors.xml and guess what, black screen was gone and normal login possible. After that, renamed monitors.xml back and its still working. So its solved somehow, I dont know how, as I expected to not be able to login with same old monitor.xml once renamed back. :twisted:
heh; chances are there's a cached config datafile somewhere, that was wiped when monitor.xml got moved away, then rebuilt (with new software.)

Good to know we don't have to delete the file and start from scratch, should it come up again.
Juippisi
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:

Basically all of the Meson multilib ebuilds are broken.

The fastest way I know how to fix it is to add back support for autotools so that's what I did.

If anyone figures Meson+multilib out, please let me know. :twisted:

I saw this today, you might be interested:
https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/8379 meson.eclass multilib enhancements #8379
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:
https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/8379 meson.eclass multilib enhancements #8379

Thanks for the heads up.

It looks like that pull request as-is was rejected but something similar made its way in.

After making the necessary changes all the Meson multilib packages build except for one. Will do a bit more testing before it goes live.
skyrrd
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just found something...if it's not an issue on my side.

i'm unable to change cursor theme. the dropdown-menu is grayed out, as if no cursor themes were in ~/.icons
other options are working
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:
Having a small issue with compilation for net-libs/webkit-gtk-2.20.1 failing with the following error

simonvanderveldt wrote:
I'm using GCC 7.3.0 btw, not sure if that's relevant or not.

I suspected GCC 7.3.0 but my build against it was successful.

My next suspect is somewhere between WebKitGTK+ and GStreamer since that's where the errors seem to originate.

P.S. I actually recall this issue but apparently it fell through the cracks.

Just tried with GCC 6.4.0 but I ran into the same error, so it seems to be caused by something else. For now I'll mask webkit-gtk 2.20.1, I don't actively use it anyway so the risk because of security issues is minimal.

dantrell wrote:
simonvanderveldt wrote:

This actually does sound like the issue simonvanderveldt has been having but yours went away with a new user account (which I can't remember if he tried).

I would copy every suspected file and folder (e.g. you can leave any media out) from ~ to a new user then cycle through, appending ".tmp" to each file or folder until the issue goes away and continue narrowing it down from there.

Unless... the cause is ~/.config/monitors.xml? :o

Just removed ~/.config/monitors.xml but that didn't make a difference for the issue I'm having. Will try a new user next.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this issue after upgrading to 3.28 once, so I kind of ignored, but now it happened again. Computer goes to sleep out of nowhere. Apparently it's caused by NetworkManager:

Code:
May 16 10:38:48 saboya-desktop NetworkManager[2976]: <info>  [1526477928.7858] manager: sleep requested (sleeping: no  enabled: yes)

After some googling it seems that gnome might be doing this, but I couldn't find any knobs for this. Any clues? Happened twice in succession, one EXACTLY 20 minutes after the other.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently IT IS new with 3.28:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-control-center/issues/22
(issue not exactly the same, but might be related)

I've checked my settings and auto-suspend is disabled. I checked / unchecked this setting and also uncheld "Turn off Wi-Fi to save power" and "Turn off Bluetooth to save power".

I'll let you know if this keeps happening.

*edit* - It's still happening. This is silly.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the commit that introduced the default 20 minute setting:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-settings-daemon/commit/2fdb48f

I generated a revert patch and will re-emerge gnome-settings-daemon to confirm if it worked.

There might be another problem regarding changing the setting itself not working, which may or may not be a bug in gnome or in dantrell's patchset, but frankly I don't feel like testing this at all, this almost makes me want to abandon Gnome entirely.
simonvanderveldt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@saboya Yeah this seems to be a new crazy thing that the GNOME devs came up with :|
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Fedora-GNOME-Auto-Suspend

More fun stuff to follow https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/nautilus/issues/184
It's really a pity because I quiet like the way GNOME works, but these changes are pretty invasive and becoming quiet annoying.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, the patch did work and I can use my computer for more than 20 consecutive minutes now.

Just to make it clear, my frustration wasn't targeted at dantrell or his amazing work. It was targeted at Gnome team's awful design decisions that have no concern for user experience.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonvanderveldt wrote:
It's really a pity because I quiet like the way GNOME works, but these changes are pretty invasive and becoming quiet annoying.
saboya wrote:
Just to make it clear, my frustration wasn't targeted at dantrell or his amazing work. It was targeted at Gnome team's awful design decisions that have no concern for user experience.
Well, you've patched it, and simon seems to agree with you on the user experience.

IDK how dantrell feels, but if users prefer the old approach, it seems best to keep it, to me.

All I'm saying is: don't give up; it's your desktop, after all.
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juippisi wrote:

dantrell wrote:
Will do a bit more testing before it goes live.

This is live now.

saboya wrote:
This is the commit that introduced the default 20 minute setting:

https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome-settings-daemon/commit/2fdb48f

saboya wrote:
FYI, the patch did work and I can use my computer for more than 20 consecutive minutes now.

Thanks for the heads up.

This patch can now be managed through the vanilla-inactivity USE flag on gnome-base/gnome-settings-daemon.

saboya wrote:
this almost makes me want to abandon Gnome entirely.

simonvanderveldt wrote:

saboya wrote:

steveL wrote:
IDK how dantrell feels [...]

After a decade and change GNOME is the devil I know.

Curbing the GNOME team's innovation is easier than switching. :twisted:

P.S. A performance improvement for GNOME Shell can now be managed through the vanilla-gc USE flag. This should drastically reduce (if not eliminate) the need to restart GNOME Shell every so often (if you were were using that technique to get back some freshness).

For details see GNOME Shell issue #64.
saboya
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meson fun for you:

Code:

json-glib/meson.build:96:8: ERROR:  gobject-introspection dependency was not found, gir cannot be generated.

A full log can be found at /var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/json-glib-1.4.2-r1/work/json-glib-1.4.2-abi_x86_32.x86/meson-logs/meson-log.txt
 * ERROR: dev-libs/json-glib-1.4.2-r1::dantrell-gnome failed (configure phase):
dantrell
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saboya wrote:
Meson fun for you [...]

I reverted back to the broken version until I can reproduce and correct this. :twisted:
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 28 of 29

Jump to: