Keller now working for Intel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Keller now working for Intel Reply with quote

This would be a good post for the proposed hardware chat forum
https://eresearch.fidelity.com/eresearch/evaluate/news/basicNewsStory.jhtml?symbols=T&storyid=201804261234DOWJONESREALTIME008594&
Quote:

Intel Brings in the Big Gun

In AMD-related news, Jim Keller, a legendary silicon designer who put AMD back on the map with new chip designs, has left Tesla ( TSLA), the company he jumped to after leaving AMD a couple years ago, and is now working at Intel ( INTC).

Keller will serve as senior vice president leading Intel's silicon engineering for Intel

I was surprised when he left AMD well before the Ryzen launch. I always tought it was about technical control. The seg fault bug and the freezing bug made me wonder more. Maybe he just couldn't put up with the CEO's secrecy.

When Intel brings out their first Keller CPU, I think I will jump to Intel. All the good AMD CPU's were Keller team designs.
Zucca

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get "This feature is temporarily unavailable." when opening the link. :\

Anyway... I wonder how much intel paid for him. He's a man with legend status on the field.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
I get "This feature is temporarily unavailable." when opening the link. :\

I was logged in when I copied the link. It may be "customers only".

Here's AnandTech https://www.anandtech.com/show/12689/cpu-design-guru-jim-keller-joins-intel

Just googling "Keller Intel" brought up a bunch of stories.

In response to your question "A bunch".

EDIT:
I suspect his AMD hiring contract had a clause preventing him for working at a semiconductor company for X years. Hence, the detour to Tesla.
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musk is DaVinci, Keller is just human, maybe arrogant asshole, maybe AMD was happy he was finally gone. Seems he didnt worked long for Tesla, for sure he is easy to replace.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now their "former senior director of global product marketing."

Three top people leaving to Intel is a bit concerning.

AMD's Chris Hook moves to Intel
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At AMD they'd be sitting mostly idle while Ryzen goes through the usual multi-year process shrinking and tweaking cycle.

Intel's been a dumpster fire for the past decade; there's so much broken silicon and software coming out of there they won't be short of work ever.
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
At AMD they'd be sitting mostly idle while Ryzen goes through the usual multi-year process shrinking and tweaking cycle.

Intel's been a dumpster fire for the past decade; there's so much broken silicon and software coming out of there they won't be short of work ever.
Well, I do not know... The article "Core i7-8700K Review: Intel's response to Ryzen is faster and cheaper than ever" looks like it is not only gold that comes from AMD, and it is not only crap that comes from intel...
mir3x
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coffee Lake was too fast repsonse, it could be even ready 2-3 years ago ...
7790K price was almost the same time for like 5 years or something like that, if not ryzen coffee lake would not be released ...

I wonder what would happen if eg. AMD bankrupted liek 10-15 years ago ...
First I thought we would be stuck at core 2 duo 3Ghz, then I realized that "life hates void" and maybe we would have some better company(ies) in place of current AMD.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think VIA still has its x86 lisense (because of x86 segment bought from Cyrix).
I even thought of buying a VIA motherboard with VIA CPU at some time. Those were some really nice low power x86 MBs.

I wonder what's the current cituation...
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yamakuzure wrote:
Ant P. wrote:

Well, I do not know... The article "Core i7-8700K Review: Intel's response to Ryzen is faster and cheaper than ever" looks like it is not only gold that comes from AMD, and it is not only crap that comes from intel...

That's no surprise, Intel has traditionally held the crown of fast-and-cheap (well, maybe not so much cheap, but definitely fast). They're in a position to slash prices on their existing parts in a hurry like this.

Here's the problem, we don't have a good-and-cheap offering any more. AMD used to cover it (not the fastest, but fast enough, and they didn't nickel and dime people for basic features like 64-bit and virtualisation) but now all of x86 is literally a race to the bottom. Ryzen is performance-competitive but I wouldn't call it a robust or secure product, and it gets even worse with the APU models. Can't wait to see how bad the Radeon-on-Intel chips turn out...

(There's good-and-fast on the other side of the triangle, but oh lord the price tag on that thing...)

@Zucca: VIA sounds nice in theory, but they're still one of those bad chinese "we don't co-operate with FOSS" companies. The CPUs will *function* because they implement the amd64 ISA, but performance is going to be abysmal; look for "VIA C3" in the gcc manpage, all VIA stuff is basically treated like an in-order CPU.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ant P. wrote:
(There's good-and-fast on the other side of the triangle, but oh lord the price tag on that thing...)
(They may just need more competition..?)

Ant P. wrote:
@Zucca: VIA sounds nice in theory, but they're still one of those bad chinese "we don't co-operate with FOSS" companies.
*sigh* Didn't knew this.

I guess I'm then hoping that RISC-V gets more popularity and some big player starts to produce some boards. But that isn't gonna happen anytime soon, I guess.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
geki
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keller may help with Spectre NG. :o 8 brand new spectre issues in Intel CPUs. One is easy to exploit. Only german source found, sorry.
https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Super-GAU-fuer-Intel-Weitere-Spectre-Luecken-im-Anflug-4039134.html
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: