Quick Search: in
NVdriver Issues
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delta407

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2002 11:50 pm    Post subject: NVdriver Issues Reply with quote

I have installed nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx, updated my X config file, and done various things to get NVdriver working properly. Well, my screen flickers for a while, then X gives up and complains:

Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!

Yes, I have done the obvious and have made sure that, indeed, the NVdriver kernel module is loaded (lsmod says so). But then I noticed that my kernel log reads:

Code:
[kernel] NV0: isr request failed 0xfffffff0

This occurs even when I disable AGP support. I'm running a dual-P3 on a VIA Apollo chipset. Any ideas?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried the Gentoo NVidia troubleshooting guide?

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/nvidia_tsg.html

--kurt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep; no go. It's not an AGP issue, nor is it an X issue (I'm typing this in Konqueror on the troubled box) -- it's an issue within the kernel driver.

Wait a minute, I just remembered that I can ask Google. Silly me :)

We'll see what happens.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google says that that particular error message in the kernel module is produced in the driver entry point when it's asked to open the card. The error code (0xFFFFFFF0) is an ISR status code; anyone know a good reference document?

Anyway, the surrounding source shows that it's not an interrupt sharing issue, so... is it just a bad interaction with my chipset, or did I misconfigure something? (And what could I misconfigure to make it blow up like this?)
dArkMaGE
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youll probably want to check the nvidia.com website
not only do they have a readme file with some troubleshooting help they also have a link to an nvidia/linux forum with a bunch of other stuff about nvidia difficulties.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read through the readme file and I've run the search engine through their forum.

:(

No luck.
lude
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2002 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: NVdriver Issues Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
...I'm running a dual-P3 on a VIA Apollo chipset. Any ideas?

SMP support with nVidia's linux drivers has always been shaky. I hate to suggest it, but have you tried it with SMP support turned off in the kernel?
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I disabled SMP support, and recompiled my kernel. The compilation failed (make bzImage after dep and clean) -- so I figured I would try the sys-kernel/gentoo-sources tree. Thirty megs later, it had some issues as well -- namely, refusing to make VMware run. I need VMware (I did shell out lots of $$$ for it), so I try sys-kernel/vanilla-sources. Great, vanilla-sources hasn't made it into the Portage tree yet.

So, now I finally have a stable kernel; I used sys-kernel/xfs-sources, even though I'm not running XFS, simply because nothing else wanted to work. When I fired up X, I got some obscure error involving IRQs, even though /proc/interrupts didn't show anything abnormal... hmm...

So, anyway, long story shortened: X is now using my accelerated video card. How? I bought an ATi. In four hours of head scratching, keyboard banging, disk thrashing, and line saturating, I have once again learned Gentoo's greatest weakness: poorly tested packages. I don't want to fight to make my desktop work.

In any case, the moral of the story is: always stick with a released, stable kernel, and use ATi instead.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of writing this there is a vanilla-sources available, although I was looking at that stuff last night (or maybe two nights ago) and didn't notice it so it must of just made it in there.

When I first read your message I didn't know what you were talking about until I started reading over the heads of the linux-source ebuilds and saw the message about the change in kernel sources. Guess you hit them just as they were transitioning.

The nv video driver is fast for 2d stuff, it just doesn't support 3d so you may of been able to use that.

I tried looking up your nvidia error to see what I could find, not much out there so it sound like an obscure problem. Only things I would of suggested would be making sure you had the latest bios on your motherboard, and other bios settings were correct like irq to vga.

It's good to hear everything's working with the ati card though :)
Vlad
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Problem Solved! Reply with quote

(Solution at bottom)

I also recieve a
Code:

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVdriver kernel module!

message when I try to run X. Everything had compiled fine (kernel, nvdriver module, X, everything), so I was certain that wasn't the problem. A few clues, however, lead to the solution:

1. I remember glancing at the cat /proc/pci output (I don't remember why), and thought how unusual it was there was no IRQ listed for the video card; but since I had yet to encounter any problems with X, I simply passed it off as a "linux quirk."

2. I had recently reset a number of settings in my bios to reflect changes I was making to computer (I removed the floppy, so I disabled the FDD controller, as well as disabled the audio/usb/serial ports as I have no need for them).

3. X was, of course, had compiled successfully, and depmod -a gave no warnings about any unresolved symbols. Booting also gave no hint that there were any hardware or software malfunctions.

The Solution:

If you have your BIOS set to assign IRQ's:
Enable "Assign IRQ to VGA" in the bios.

Or:

Let your OS assign IRQ's ("PnP OS: Enabled" type option)

I have the BIOS set to assign IRQ's (as opposed to the OS), so I assume this was also a factor. I did test this by trying to run X with the VGA IRQ enabled and disabled. I assume that if you allow linux to assign the interrupts, it will do so correctly (wether this is a bug in the bios or not, I don't really know).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: