View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject: removing kde history Reply with quote

Wish desktop environments (and applications!) had a "private" mode (where nothing is remembered) like most modern browsers do.

In some applications, when I open a file selection dialog, there is a line at the top that says "Look in:" with several directories selected. If I click the drop down arrow, at the bottom of the list, there are "Recent Places" (which are unique to each application). I want to get rid of these. I would prefer that no "Recent Places" ever be stored under any circumstances, but for now, I would like to know where these histories are being stored (I have done several searches throughout my home directory, but haven't been able to find them), so that I can remove them.

I have (don't know if this is related or not) also discovered that the directory /home/user/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/ has a database with documents looked at literally years ago. First question - is there any way of accessing (viewing the contents of) this database)?

I went to clear it (in Desktop Behavior / Activities / Privacy, I selected Forget Everything in the dropdown box), and one of the files actually grew (more than tripling in size). Here are the before and after listings:

Code:

$ ls -l /home/user/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/
total 832
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 589824 2018-04-22 10:37:42 database
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user  32768 2018-04-25 19:27:11 database-shm
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 220112 2018-04-25 14:51:46 database-wal

$ ls -l /home/user/.local/share/kactivitymanagerd/resources/
total 1296
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 589824 2018-04-22 10:37:42 database
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user  32768 2018-04-26 00:22:59 database-shm
-rw-r--r-- 1 user user 693808 2018-04-26 00:22:59 database-wal

Now I can't select anything in the dropdown box other than "Clear recent history" (if I select anything else, as soon as I release the mouse button, it goes back to "Clear recent history"). I guess I can just zap those files, but I am wondering if a) they will just reappear because I am logged in and they are cached somewhere, and b) if removing them will break something.

Any thoughts?
Perfect Gentleman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweeper, bleachbit
curmudgeon
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect Gentleman wrote:
sweeper, bleachbit

The shred command works just as well to remove data from storage media, but I am more interested in methods that keep the data from being saved in the first place.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: