Sound stops working after long idle times
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abduct
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Sound stops working after long idle times Reply with quote

I am using ALSA and set my `/etc/asound.conf' to output sound to my HDMI port 0,3. MPV is working fine and the TV plays sound. I've done marathons where it would work for 5 hours on end, but when I go to sleep and the laptop enters the lock screen, then turns the screen off by the time I wake up I cannot get any sound to come from the HDMI port.

Switching the asound config to 0,0 (my laptop speakers) works fine, but when switching back to 0,3 I still get no sound. I've checked muted options in aslamixer as well as restarted the alsa service. Ive even reset my xrandr options to see if it would help. The only solution I have found so far is to simply reboot my laptop in which the HMDI sound starts to function again.

During this time of no sound the HDMI video is working perfectly fine.

There was no messages that I've seen in dmesg that would alert me to a failure of some kind either.

I am using the snd_hda_intel driver:

Code:
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
   Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller
   Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel

I am on kernel 4.16.3 currently and I have been having this problem since presumably 4.15.9 (or later I can't recall).

I am not running pulse or jack on this system. Just asla.

Is there anywhere I could look for clues to solve this issue when the sound fails again?

Thanks
beandog
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is ... a really weird scenario.

If I had to *guess* I'd say it might have something to do with going into powersave mode, so something ACPI related.

I'd recommend turning on debugging in the kernel for ALSA, that might give you some information.

Another idea is to get all the sound drivers as modules and see if that changes it.

A kludge could be to setup a rule for acpid that on laptop close or whatever, it removes the driver mods, then loads them back up on opening the lid. Just use a hammer and beat the hamstercrap out of it that way. It could have all kinds of interesting consequences, tho.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: