How install package from distfile directory
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nhamidi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: How install package from distfile directory Reply with quote

Hi, I am totally new to gentoo. I read potage man page but could not find what I seek.
I want to install a package. emerge trying to download some *.run file. I downloaded that file. so I should be able to put the file in distfile directory and run emerge to use that file.
I think I down that for some *.b2z files. but for *.run emerge trying to download that file. how can I tell emerge to use my downloaded file (NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42.run) instead?
thnx
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why you want that portage install your file? This is not possible.
emerge download and install already the correct file
Code:
# emerge =x11-drivers/nvidia-drivers-390.42

nhamidi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: egerge can not download it Reply with quote

emerge can not download that becuase it is not allowed: 403 error for my location. there is almost not good solution in linux for anti-filtering. I use my friends windows with psiphon to download the file. if emerge can not download the driver for me then it is completely useless for me and that is not what I expected from a linux.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I understand. For nvidia you should also download nvidia-settings-390.42.tar.bz2 if you have tools use flag enabled.
After that put NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.42.run and nvidia-settings-390.42.tar.bz2 in /usr/portage/distfiles
Hu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Portage will only download a file if the requisite file is not already present in $DISTDIR. If Portage is trying to download the file, and you think you supplied it, then you must have made some mistake that prevents Portage from using it. Check that it has the proper name, digest, path, and permissions.

If you need more help, please post the exact steps you followed and the full output of the failed emerge command.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: