Boot logs?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LIsLinuxIsSogood
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Boot logs? Reply with quote

Two quick things I'm wondering if someone could please help me to figure out on my gentoo linux on desktop...
1) First thing is that I noticed a message I had never seen before while booting my machine, something about an "Operational Error" or something of that kind, not sure what this is. It boots just fine and everything seems normal other than some actually always present ACPI Errors at about 1 second into the boot process, of which there are usually fired off like 10 or 15 lines of errors and then nothing ever seems effected.

2) Also because I can't actually find the output of the boot process I was wondering if someone more familiar with sysklogd (the systemklog daemon) could please help me to add a configuration to that file so that in the future I can quickly access the content of the messages displayed on the boot screens terminal if I want to refer back to it...at the moment I am digging through the various files that are mentioned in the confiruation of syslog.conf, but it seems like it would be much easier if I could just add another additional log file that just did what I want it to do which is log all messages at the boot time into a file (maybe even call it boot.log or something similar). If this isn't a possibility in sysklog then I wonder if it is with another logger, but I would rather not change if given the option to stay with it since this generally appears to be a very reliable application otherwise. :)

Does the operational error message sound familiar to other linux users too, or is it particular to Openrc maybe? I know it could be tough to say without seeing the exact message. Thanks!
LIsLinuxIsSogood
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least I got one of two things handled, updated the rc.conf file to log boot process, now just curious if anyone wouldn't mind reviewing this and seeing what is meant by operational error???

https://paste.pound-python.org/show/9vsY5srHP5TumWHaXVqx/

Go to line 117 for the message I am talking about :)

Update:

One more thing, which is could THIS (Operational Error) have to do with this

Code:
fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda8
Possibly non-existent device?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood wrote:
One more thing, which is could THIS (Operational Error) have to do with this
Code:
fsck.ext4: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda8
Possibly non-existent device?
Yes.

You need to cleanup your /etc/fstab removing or editing that line (since you don't have a partition there.)
You should also put "noauto" on eg /mnt/cdrom.

See man fstab and man mount

sync is useful on /boot (usually noauto as well, if you're following the handbook.)
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LIsLinuxIsSogood ...

'dmesg' holds the kernel ring buffer, so any message from the kernel at boot, prior to rc, should be written there (see: 'man dmesg').

best ... khay
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your answer is easy
Code:
 grep -i operational /etc/init.d/*
/etc/init.d/fsck:   8)   ewend 1 "Operational error"; return 0;;
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krinn wrote:
Your answer is easy
Code:
 grep -i operational /etc/init.d/*
/etc/init.d/fsck:   8)   ewend 1 "Operational error"; return 0;;
Oh God, is that the "fsck cannot fail" approach?
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Oh God, is that the "fsck cannot fail" approach?

Only exit status 8 does not return an error. This happens only for things like an unreadable /proc, matching fsck.* binary not being available or OOM. In particular, this exit status does not indicate that the underlying fs is broken/unrecoverable.
LIsLinuxIsSogood
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:15 am    Post subject: Thanks (SOLVED or almost solved) Reply with quote

Thanks SteveL who pointed out the mistake leading to the problem with sda8 which was in my fstab file (but funny thing when I merged this partition with a different one that I didn't remember to change it in /etc/fstab). Of course, I am lucky to have not had any failures as severe with fsck or any other, just plain old commonplace user error :| my bad

Thanks anyway, and at least now I got to be reminded of the kernel ring buffer - I have to still read up on this.

Question: I just thought of something, why would I want to add sync as an option in fstab for the entry for /boot???
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
Only exit status 8 does not return an error. This happens only for things like an unreadable /proc, matching fsck.* binary not being available or OOM. In particular, this exit status does not indicate that the underlying fs is broken/unrecoverable.
Ah, thanks.
Although all of those sound like things I'd want to stop on.

@L: sync means all writes are completed before return; useful on /boot IME, which we only write to rarely, typically just before rebooting, and really want done properly.
mv
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
Although all of those sound like things I'd want to stop on.

My opinion on this varies: It is a function which depends on the distance between me and the computer which might fail to reboot. Somewhere between 100m and 10km the function changes its value ;)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mv wrote:
My opinion on this varies: It is a function which depends on the distance between me and the computer which might fail to reboot. Somewhere between 100m and 10km the function changes its value ;)
Lul, fair enough.

Though even on a remote VPS, I'd still want it to stop on all of those, and I'd get in touch with the provider.

OOM on startup, or incorrect fsck binary are indicators of bigger problems, and I don't see the point in continuing with those unattended-to.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: