[SOLVED] guest additions failed to compile with kernel 4.16
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] guest additions failed to compile with kernel 4.16 Reply with quote

Hello!
I did compile the kernel 4.16 without any issue. Normally, this kernel should have the guest additions included in the kernel. I tried the command emerge @module-rebuild and I had the following error messages: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/uDJgHLvPTGGnoDRQ8QEJ/
I think this is due to the fact that the version 5.2.8 of VBox doesn't support the version 4.16 of the kernel.
Is there a workaround? I can donwgrade the kernel but I wouldn't like to do it.
Best regards,
pourpier

Last edited by pourpier on Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
C5ace
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try app-emulation/virtualbox-5.1.32 (stable) etc. with kernel sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.9.72 or 4.9.76-r1 (stable). use sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0-r1 and sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r11.
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C5ace wrote:
Try app-emulation/virtualbox-5.1.32 (stable) etc. with kernel sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-4.9.72 or 4.9.76-r1 (stable). use sys-devel/gcc-6.4.0-r1 and sys-libs/glibc-2.25-r11.

This would imply changing too much: the kernel, the virtualbox, and probably other packages linked to the version of the kernel and of VBox I have.
I can wait until version 5.2.10 of VBox comes out. But as Debian Siduction and OpenSUSE Tumbleweed work fine with kernel 4.16 in VBox presumably they have a patch for the version 5.2.8 of VBox.
fedeliallalinea helped me a lot in the past with the kernel 4.15 and VBox 5.2.6 with a patch.
So I hope he reads this message and has a similar patch.
Best regards,
pourpier
if
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried 5.2.10 and it failed as well. :(
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if wrote:
I tried 5.2.10 and it failed as well. :(

As the support for the guest additions is enabled in the kernel since the 4.16 series did you enable this in your kernel?
Code:
Device Drivers  --->
         [*] Virtualization drivers  --->
              <M>   Virtual Box Guest integration support

You can try it as a module or integrated in the kernel changing the M with an *
Try removing the app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions and see if it works.
Best regards.

[Moderator edit: added [code] tags to preserve output layout. -Hu]
if
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Thank you for your input. I ignored the new option. After making it as a module and rebooting the kernel, virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 still failed.
lsmod shows five modules related to vbox. They are vboxpci, vboxnetadp, vboxnetflt, vboxdrv, and vboxguest.
Strangely, warnings shown up before when starting X disappeared.
Do I need to emerge virtualbox-guest-additions with this option change? Or can I simply emerge -C this package?

Nope. Removing virtualbox-guest-additions does no good for display. Now I have much smaller screen.
I noticed there is a warning to enable VBOXVIDEO option as well as VBOXGUEST in its help.
But I cannot find this VBOXVIDEO line in .config file or in menuconfig.
Since the emerge error occurs under /tmp/.../work/vboxvideo, I assume making VBOXVIDEO option on is the key.
Where can I find it? :roll:

Got it!
Device Drivers -> Staging drivers -> Virtual Box Graphics Card

Hmm... but I still get the same error message with the package. :cry:
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if wrote:
^ Thank you for your input. I ignored the new option. After making it as a module and rebooting the kernel, virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 still failed.
lsmod shows five modules related to vbox. They are vboxpci, vboxnetadp, vboxnetflt, vboxdrv, and vboxguest.
Strangely, warnings shown up before when starting X disappeared.
Do I need to emerge virtualbox-guest-additions with this option change? Or can I simply emerge -C this package?

Nope. Removing virtualbox-guest-additions does no good for display. Now I have much smaller screen.
I noticed there is a warning to enable VBOXVIDEO option as well as VBOXGUEST in its help.
But I cannot find this VBOXVIDEO line in .config file or in menuconfig.
Since the emerge error occurs under /tmp/.../work/vboxvideo, I assume making VBOXVIDEO option on is the key.
Where can I find it? :roll:

Got it!
Device Drivers -> Staging drivers -> Virtual Box Graphics Card

Hmm... but I still get the same error message with the package. :cry:

What I did is this I had kept kernel 4.15.15 but i am on kernel 4.16.5 I booted in kernel 4.15.15
I did eselect kernel list then eselect kernel set N replacing N with the number corresponding to kernel 4.15.15
I emerge the latest guest additions and the compilation succeeded. So there is definitely a programming error for some function related with kernel 4.16
It has to be fixed upstream. Maybe there is a patch I haven't checked that.

fedeliallalinea gave me the solution. I tested it and it works.
Here is the patch: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/fedeliallalinea/gentoo-patches/master/misc/vboxvideo-kernel-4.16.patch
And here is the steps to follow:
# ebuild /usr/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10.ebuild unpack
# cd /var/tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10/work
# patch -p0 < /path/to/patch/vboxvideo-kernel-4.16.patch
# ebuild /usr/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-guest-additions/virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10.ebuild install qmerge

So I wish to express my greatest gratitude to fedeliallalinea

Best regards.
if
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The error message I had got is... this (from another post).
I booted into 4.15.10, which I safely used, and emerged vbox guest addition against 4.16.3 and 4.16.5, both of which failed with the above same error in vbox_ttm.c.

Then I tried the patch solution.
It seemed to be emerged OK this time on 4.15.10 against 4.16.5 except that there are warnings telling me vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuestsomething and something.
Sure enough, when I try to boot into 4.16.5, the boot stops after showing messages relating to VBox module load errors and right after setting framebuffer console images.

Is there any kernel setting about vboxsf? I think it is file system related, but I see no setting for vbox in file system section.
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if wrote:
The error message I had got is... this (from another post).
I booted into 4.15.10, which I safely used, and emerged vbox guest addition against 4.16.3 and 4.16.5, both of which failed with the above same error in vbox_ttm.c.

Then I tried the patch solution.
It seemed to be emerged OK this time on 4.15.10 against 4.16.5 except that there are warnings telling me vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuestsomething and something.
Sure enough, when I try to boot into 4.16.5, the boot stops after showing messages relating to VBox module load errors and right after setting framebuffer console images.

Is there any kernel setting about vboxsf? I think it is file system related, but I see no setting for vbox in file system section.

The shared folders don't have to be mounted at boot. Did you add some kind of vboxsf in /etc/fstab?
I found these articles: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/52566/virtualbox-mount-a-shared-folder-automatically-in-gentoo
and http://wiredrevolution.com/virtualbox/mount-a-virtualbox-shared-folder-inside-a-guest-vm
And this one: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1001906-start-0.html
Does it help?
if
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for every kind helps!

I always do not mount guest drive on boot, but mount it after launching X.
So I do not think mount timing is the issue here.

What I do not understand is... emerging the same virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 on kernel 4.5.10 went totally fine without the patch, but failed on kernel 4.15.15, 4.16.3 and 4.16.5 even with the patch (as for 4.16.5, emerging went fine with the patch but it does not boot fine).
emerge environment is the same on each kernel. Only kernel version is different.

With the patch integrated into original virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 ebuild file, now virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 emerges fine.

The problem now is virtualbox-modules-5.2.10, which emerges fine, but has unknown symbol issue.
The exact warning message is below.

Code:
>>> Install virtualbox-modules-5.2.10 into /tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-5.2.10/image/ category app-emulation
 * Installing vboxdrv module
 * Installing vboxnetflt module
 * Installing vboxnetadp module
 * Installing vboxpci module
>>> Completed installing virtualbox-modules-5.2.10 into /tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-5.2.10/image/

* Final size of build directory: 13772 KiB (13.4 MiB)
 * Final size of installed tree:    784 KiB

strip: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-strip --strip-unneeded -R .comment -R .GCC.command.line -R .note.gnu.gold-version
   lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxdrv.ko
   lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxpci.ko
   lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxnetflt.ko
   lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxnetadp.ko

>>> Installing (2 of 2) app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-5.2.10::gentoo
 * Removing app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-5.2.10 from moduledb.
 * Updating module dependencies for 4.16.5-gentoo ...
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTMemTmpFree
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuestIDC
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexRequest
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexRelease
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTLogRelGetDefaultInstanceEx
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTStrCopy
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTErrConvertToErrno
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexCreate
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexDestroy
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTAssertShouldPanic
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTLogLoggerEx
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTMemTmpAllocTag
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTAssertMsg1Weak
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTAssertMsg2Weak                                              [ ok ]
 * Adding module to moduledb.

I believe these unknown symbols cause module load problem of vboxsf on boot.

Here is my emerge --info

Code:
Portage 2.3.24 (python 3.6.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/no-multilib, gcc-7.3.0, glibc-2.25-r11, 4.15.10-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.15.10-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-6200U_CPU_@_2.30GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:     2049484 total,   1375684 free
KiB Swap:          0 total,         0 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 18:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 7ae93bbbb50e6210f2e3985f0cfc6729898d812b
sh bash 4.4_p12
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.29.1 p3) 2.29.1
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p12::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.26.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.14-r2::gentoo, 3.4.8-r1::gentoo, 3.5.5-r1::gentoo, 3.6.5-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.11.1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.34.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.13::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.15.1-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.29.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            6.4.0-r1::gentoo, 7.2.0-r1::gentoo, 7.3.0-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r5::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.13::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.25-r11::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: no
    sync-rsync-extra-opts: --exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes

myown
    masters: gentoo

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/splash /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/linux/gentoo/ rsync://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/linux/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/linux/gentoo/ rsync://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/ http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/ ftp://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/"
LANG="ja_JP.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="ja en"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
USE="X acl amd64 berkdb branding bzip2 cli crypt cxx dri fortran gdbm iconv modules ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre readline seccomp ssl tcpd unicode xattr zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon plan sheets stage words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" L10N="ja" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 python3_5 python3_4 python2_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="vboxvideo" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS

I know I am using ~amd64 instead of stable release. I use gcc-7.3 for emerge.
Which gcc version do you use? > pourpier

What I did last time is...
1. make clean in kernel-4.16.5 and do genkernel (with --no-clean --no-mrproper all)
2. modify virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 so that patch works automatically
3. emerge -1 =virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 =virtualbox-modules-5.2.10 (which both succeeded)
4. Booting kernel 4.16.5 fails

This is how boot goes wrong when booting kernel 4.16.5
https://ibb.co/k8pXMx
https://ibb.co/fmO1gx
It stucks there after the second image.

This is how boot goes fine on kernel 4.15.10
https://ibb.co/kaMyTc

EDIT: found this for module issue. I will see after lunch. :)
pourpier
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if wrote:
Thank you for every kind helps!

I always do not mount guest drive on boot, but mount it after launching X.
So I do not think mount timing is the issue here.

What I do not understand is... emerging the same virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 on kernel 4.5.10 went totally fine without the patch, but failed on kernel 4.15.15, 4.16.3 and 4.16.5 even with the patch (as for 4.16.5, emerging went fine with the patch but it does not boot fine).
emerge environment is the same on each kernel. Only kernel version is different.

With the patch integrated into original virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 ebuild file, now virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 emerges fine.

The problem now is virtualbox-modules-5.2.10, which emerges fine, but has unknown symbol issue.
The exact warning message is below.

Code:
>>> Install virtualbox-modules-5.2.10 into /tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-5.2.10/image/ category app-emulation
 * Installing vboxdrv module
 * Installing vboxnetflt module
 * Installing vboxnetadp module
 * Installing vboxpci module
>>> Completed installing virtualbox-modules-5.2.10 into /tmp/portage/app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-5.2.10/image/

* Final size of build directory: 13772 KiB (13.4 MiB)
 * Final size of installed tree:    784 KiB

strip: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-strip --strip-unneeded -R .comment -R .GCC.command.line -R .note.gnu.gold-version
   lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxdrv.ko
   lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxpci.ko
   lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxnetflt.ko
   lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxnetadp.ko

>>> Installing (2 of 2) app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-5.2.10::gentoo
 * Removing app-emulation/virtualbox-modules-5.2.10 from moduledb.
 * Updating module dependencies for 4.16.5-gentoo ...
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTMemTmpFree
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuestIDC
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexRequest
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexRelease
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTLogRelGetDefaultInstanceEx
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTStrCopy
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTErrConvertToErrno
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexCreate
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTSemFastMutexDestroy
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTAssertShouldPanic
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTLogLoggerEx
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTMemTmpAllocTag
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTAssertMsg1Weak
depmod: WARNING: //lib/modules/4.16.5-gentoo/misc/vboxsf.ko needs unknown symbol VBoxGuest_RTAssertMsg2Weak                                              [ ok ]
 * Adding module to moduledb.

I believe these unknown symbols cause module load problem of vboxsf on boot.

Here is my emerge --info

Code:
Portage 2.3.24 (python 3.6.5-final-0, default/linux/amd64/17.0/no-multilib, gcc-7.3.0, glibc-2.25-r11, 4.15.10-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-4.15.10-gentoo-x86_64-Intel-R-_Core-TM-_i5-6200U_CPU_@_2.30GHz-with-gentoo-2.4.1
KiB Mem:     2049484 total,   1375684 free
KiB Swap:          0 total,         0 free
Timestamp of repository gentoo: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 18:00:01 +0000
Head commit of repository gentoo: 7ae93bbbb50e6210f2e3985f0cfc6729898d812b
sh bash 4.4_p12
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.29.1 p3) 2.29.1
app-shells/bash:          4.4_p12::gentoo
dev-lang/perl:            5.26.2::gentoo
dev-lang/python:          2.7.14-r2::gentoo, 3.4.8-r1::gentoo, 3.5.5-r1::gentoo, 3.6.5-r1::gentoo
dev-util/cmake:           3.11.1::gentoo
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.29.2::gentoo
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.4.1-r2::gentoo
sys-apps/openrc:          0.34.11::gentoo
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.13::gentoo
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.13::gentoo, 2.69-r4::gentoo
sys-devel/automake:       1.15.1-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/binutils:       2.29.1-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc:            6.4.0-r1::gentoo, 7.2.0-r1::gentoo, 7.3.0-r2::gentoo
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.8-r1::gentoo
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.6-r5::gentoo
sys-devel/make:           4.2.1::gentoo
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 4.13::gentoo (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.25-r11::gentoo
Repositories:

gentoo
    sync-type: rsync
    sync-uri: rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
    priority: -1000
    sync-rsync-verify-metamanifest: no
    sync-rsync-extra-opts: --exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes

myown
    masters: gentoo

ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/splash /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync multilib-strict news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync xattr"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/linux/gentoo/ rsync://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/linux/gentoo/ ftp://ftp.iij.ad.jp/pub/linux/gentoo/ rsync://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/ http://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/ ftp://ftp.jaist.ac.jp/pub/Linux/Gentoo/"
LANG="ja_JP.utf8"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
LINGUAS="ja en"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --exclude=/.git"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/tmp"
USE="X acl amd64 berkdb branding bzip2 cli crypt cxx dri fortran gdbm iconv modules ncurses nls nptl openmp pam pcre readline seccomp ssl tcpd unicode xattr zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="karbon plan sheets stage words" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" CPU_FLAGS_X86="aes avx avx2 fma3 mmx mmxext popcnt sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock isync itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf skytraq superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" GRUB_PLATFORMS="pc" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev" KERNEL="linux" L10N="ja" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-6 php7-0" POSTGRES_TARGETS="postgres9_5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5" PYTHON_TARGETS="python3_6 python3_5 python3_4 python2_7" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby24" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="vboxvideo" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CC, CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, CXX, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS

I know I am using ~amd64 instead of stable release. I use gcc-7.3 for emerge.
Which gcc version do you use? > pourpier

What I did last time is...
1. make clean in kernel-4.16.5 and do genkernel (with --no-clean --no-mrproper all)
2. modify virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 so that patch works automatically
3. emerge -1 =virtualbox-guest-additions-5.2.10 =virtualbox-modules-5.2.10 (which both succeeded)
4. Booting kernel 4.16.5 fails

This is how boot goes wrong when booting kernel 4.16.5
https://ibb.co/k8pXMx
https://ibb.co/fmO1gx
It stucks there after the second image.

This is how boot goes fine on kernel 4.15.10
https://ibb.co/kaMyTc

EDIT: found this for module issue. I will see after lunch. :)

I am on multilib and have gcc version 6.4.0-r1. I was going to mention the bugzilla article when I realized you saw it too.
There seems to be a modified version for vboxsf on github.
Maybe it will solve your issue.
Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: