Lance Armstrong settles $100m US government lawsuit for $5m
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Lance Armstrong settles $100m US government lawsuit for $5m Reply with quote

Why? How the fuck can he get away with it?
The BBC wrote:
Lance Armstrong has agreed to pay $5m (£3.5m) to the US government to settle a long-running lawsuit that could have cost him $100m (£71m) in damages.

The American, 46, was accused of fraud by cheating while riding for the publicly funded US Postal Service team.

He was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles and banned from cycling for life in 2012 before admitting to using performance-enhancing drugs.

"I'm glad to resolve this case and move forward with my life," said Armstrong.

Armstrong failed to block the lawsuit last year and a trial was set for 7 May in Washington.

Archive: Disgraced Armstrong says he would probably cheat again

In a statement on Thursday, he said he was "particularly glad to have made peace with the Postal Service" despite believing their lawsuit to be "without merit and unfair".

Old School
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't get away with it, unlike all the other cyclists that dope.

It just keeps getting better
Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to understand what business the US postal service had sponsoring a cycling team (or any sports team for that matter). Was cycling associated with delivering the mail in olden times?
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akkara wrote:
I'm still trying to understand what business the US postal service had sponsoring a cycling team (or any sports team for that matter). Was cycling associated with delivering the mail in olden times?
advertisement. if they want to spend their $$$ thats their business.
Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Akkara wrote:
advertisement. if they want to spend their $$$ thats their business.

Seems like an odd way to be advertising. To whom? And for what purpose? Americans, for the most part, don't seem to be very much into cycling. And Europeans aren't likely to be using the US postal service.

Also, is there anyone who doesn't already know what the postal service is? The daily (or nearly so) mail one receives should be plenty to foster awareness.

But, this wouldn't be the first time I'm confused.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
advertisement.
++

And because of it, he shouldn't have had had to pay $1. The USPS benefited from the arrangement during that time, and if not, that was their bad decision.

Naib wrote:
if they want to spend their $$$ thats their business.
Except it isn't their business. It is at least a partially government funded operation. I liked cycling at the time but never understood the endorsement. I think their more recent television ads made more sense.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand USPS. They aren't private, but they aren't really public, either. I guess they're a privately funded organization that's managed by the U.S. government.
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Light: Inforce APLc
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:
I don't understand USPS. They aren't private, but they aren't really public, either. I guess they're a privately funded organization that's managed by the U.S. government.
Maybe they've finally become self sufficient, but I'm skeptical. If so, that is a recent change, and wasn't the case during their sponsorship of the cycling team.

2015 article wrote:
The United States Postal Service’s financial troubles have been well publicized in recent years. The worst of it came in 2012, when the USPS lost a whopping $15.9 billion dollars, followed by $4.8 billion and $5.3 billion in 2013 and 2014, respectively.
Quote:
But as Robert Shapiro—former Treasury undersecretary and chairman of the economic consultancy Sonecon—points out in a new analysis, American taxpayers subsidize the USPS at a rate that surpasses the costs associated with any Congressional mandate. He estimates that, all told, the subsidies and legal monopolies that Congress bestows upon the post office is worth $18 billion annually. These include:

Akkara
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if it is advertising they were after, the scandal seems to have worked better than the races themselves. I don't know about others, but I had no idea USPS was involved until after the sh*t hit the fan.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: