View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pusrob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] ktexteditorpreviewplugin doesn't make previews Reply with quote

Hi.

I upgraded to KDE 17.12.3 today from the stable branch, and I was surprised to see that ktexteditorpreviewplugin doesn't seem to be part of Kate. I looked through the plugins section in the settings window, but no luck. I found a separate masked package, but shouldn't this plugin be part of Kate now? If it is part of it, then where can I turn it on?

Thanks.

EDIT: the thread has been renamed from ktexteditorpreviewplugin missing from kate to ktexteditorpreviewplugin doesn't make previews.

Last edited by pusrob on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Settings -> Configure Kate... -> Plugins I see Document preview.
pusrob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fedeliallalinea wrote:
In Settings -> Configure Kate... -> Plugins I see Document preview.

Thanks, but is that really it? I'm asking because it doesn't do anything for me. It just says "No preview available." for everything. It doesn't even make a preview for the exact same example found on KDE's announcement page https://www.kde.org/announcements/kate1712.png, so I thought this "Document preview" might be something different.

If it really is the ktexteditorpreviewplugin on the other hand, than probably I should rename the thread, because there is something else going on. Does anybody else experience the same issue? Can you guys reproduce the results with the .dot file advertised in the linked image?

Thanks.

P.S.: Yes, I did try the "Enable automatic updates" button, but it doesn't do anything. The refresh button is grayed out.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok workaround is reported here.

Remember that for preview a file type you need the releted KParts plugin (for exampe for Markdown you should install kde-misc/kmarkdownwebview or for dot file media-gfx/kgraphviewer).
pusrob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Installing kde-misc/kmarkdownwebview actually solved the markdown problem. I haven't tried the dot file related package, but I think it would work as well.

On a side note: Shouldn't the above packages be made dependencies of the addons use flag of kate or of whatever package that contains this plugin? It is pretty useless without them, so it could probably be safe to add them as dependencies. But if not dependencies, then add some notes to wherever that would make it clear that the plugin won't work without the above packages.
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pusrob wrote:
On a side note: Shouldn't the above packages be made dependencies of the addons use flag of kate or of whatever package that contains this plugin? It is pretty useless without them, so it could probably be safe to add them as dependencies. But if not dependencies, then add some notes to wherever that would make it clear that the plugin won't work without the above packages.

Effectively is not much clear.
Probably a post install note is better solution because addons use flag not enable only preview addons.
You can open a but to ask if this note is necessary.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: