Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] Which Gentoo communication medium to use?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roboto
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] Which Gentoo communication medium to use? Reply with quote

There's so many communication mediums that Gentoo uses such as IRC, Mailing lists, forums, subreddit, etc. That I just don't know which one to use.

In which conditions should I approach each medium under. What problems are more appropriate for each one? And why?

The true hater of man expects nothing from him and is indiscriminate to his works.
-Ayn Rand
Quote:
Dude. Minus 30 credibility points.

Yep

Last edited by roboto on Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no much experience, I usually use only the forums, but depend on what you want.
If for a problem you want a on-line help use IRC you can interactivly talk with someone, otherwise use the forum or mailing lists.
khayyam
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Which Gentoo communication medium to use? Reply with quote

roboto wrote:
There's so many communication mediums that Gentoo uses such as IRC, Mailing lists, forums, subreddit, etc. That I just don't know which one to use.

roboto ... you should ask on IRC ;) ... hehe

roboto wrote:
In which conditions should I approach each medium under. What problems are more appropriate for each one? And why?

It depends on a variety of things:

IRC is a chat medium and so is closer to realtime, but lacks the ability to act as a repository of information, and without other mediums (such as pastebin) can be more difficult to 'show' (ie, output, config files, etc) and 'tell' (dependent on channel volume).

Mailing lists provide a means to post information but not format it in a way that might make it easier to view/digest (though pastebin could similarly be used for this purpose). Unlike IRC it's not realtime, and so if your problem is dependent on answering a lot of subsequent questions it will generally take more time. Mailing list are searchable but perhaps not to the degree that the forums are (well, could possibly be argued either way).

The forum can act as a repository, and so you can search for problems similar to your own, work on "tips & tricks", use it as a source for wiki entries, etc. Not to say that the other mediums couldn't be used similarly but with formatting/bbcode it might be easier presentation wise.

Then it comes down to how you use those mediums, are you checking email regularly, or are you more inclined to use the web, etc, etc. Do you selectively want to only view information/replies you've posted or followed (as you have on the forum), or do you want every post made to a mailing list, etc, etc.

best ... khay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: