action-adventure/A-Team[USE dependencies]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: action-adventure/A-Team[USE dependencies] Reply with quote

[Moderator note: this post, and all posts up through and including asturm's first facepalm, were originally part of USE flag dependencies and reverse dependencies. This subthread went off-topic discussing whether Mr. T.'s posts are a net positive for the forum, so it was split out. Some judgment calls had to be made on which posts to move and which to keep in place. If this thread is confusing, read the original, and note the timestamps to see how posts interleaved. I wanted to move Mr. T.'s post (quoted below; post link added by me) into this thread, but that would have made the original thread confusing. -Hu]

Mr. T. wrote:
Nobody noticed anything but I said something stupid.

No, we've just given up trying to correct every post you make because it obviously flies right over your head.
Mr. T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Ant P, I'm watching you and I have defined your behavior: you denigrate me regularly with your slanderous posts and your insinuations.
Mr. T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With hindsight, the inconvenience due to the editions of the USE flags could also cause confusion.
It seems that I have already used euse and ufed. I have some ideas about this topic.
For instance, create a hook between emerge and an editor to apply USE flags editions systematically (an idea already used).

@lordoftheworld: Okay, I'm gone! :wink:
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. T. wrote:
@Ant P, I'm watching you and I have defined your behavior: you denigrate me regularly with your slanderous posts and your insinuations.
What's slanderous about his remark? It might be hyperbolic to say that every single post from you requires correction, but in general, it's not an unreasonable characterization to say that your posts are often hard to follow, are wrong (without acknowledgment of such) at an unpleasantly high rate, and, as the OP noted here, rather unhelpful at an unpleasantly high rate. Posts with a speculative solution (that is, one not known to solve the reported problem) are fine if a reasonable reader would recognize the post as mere speculation. Speculative solutions not identifiable as such, as well as posts that are just wrong, tend to confuse or frustrate readers.

None of us are perfect, but I would appreciate if you put a bit more effort into clarity and accuracy. I think I am not alone in that sentiment.
Mr. T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hu: I disagree deeply with your opinion. I invite you to send your demonstrations by personal messages therefore I could refute them in a blog.

Edit: The stakes being important I will open a blog whatever the outcome.
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. T. wrote:
@Hu: I disagree deeply with your opinion. I invite you to send your demonstrations by personal messages therefore I could refute them in a blog.

Edit: The stakes being important I will open a blog whatever the outcome.

Hu stated observable facts, it's you who continually posts half-baked opinions. You are again debating yourself in the support threads of others, it's very poor form and you've totally ignored previous requests not to do this. There are two forums provided in which you can do that, Chat and OTW; why not take your opinions, theories and complaints there and see if you can find an audience?

Anyway, it's sad that you haven't learned how to benefit from this place, there's a real education available from some seriously smart and skillful people (for clarity I exclude myself from both categories, but I've learned practically everything useful I know about linux here) that help out here on their own time and are often far more generous with their time and patience than we users deserve.

Good luck with your blog. Apologies to the OP, I'd report this for a split into OTW, but that seems superfluous as Mods are subbed in.
Mr. T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reflection, I stop my participation on the Gentoo forum. I do not wish to debate about that: it is my decision.
Mr. T.
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Hu: my offer is still valid. I'm waiting your input!!

Split this (and asturm's reply) from the reporting thread and merged here as that appeared to be Mr. T's intent. — JRG
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'...in a blog.' :facepalm:
Hu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm confused. I'm supposed to send supporting evidence by private message, so no one but Mr. T. can review it for accuracy. Whatever he disputes will then be posted to a blog, where I can't contest his results, and regular readers of the forum, the people he most wants to convince, may not even know to read it. Further, I'm invited to send it, then he decides to stop participating, then he says the offer is still valid. Did I miss anything or mischaracterize anything?

Mr. T., while I appreciate the offer to descend into an endless debate, I don't see the point. I've used moderator power very sparingly here: moving off-topic posts to a separate thread, then explicitly posting cross-links on both sides so anyone who wants to see the context can do so. You're welcome to make a case to other forum staff that I'm being inappropriate, but I can't think of anything I've done here that would be seriously considered to be wrong. I've neither binned nor deleted anything. I've carefully avoided editing the content of anyone's posts; all my edits are clearly marked pre-script or post-script blocks, and are only done that way because it's not practical for me to insert a post of my own at arbitrary points in thread history. (Posts are always date-ordered, which can make an interesting mess when merging threads.)

If instead you're unhappy with my conduct as a speaker (as you seem to be unhappy with Ant P. too), you're welcome to make the case here or in the report thread that I or he are acting in violation of the forum rules. Again, I don't see that my remarks or his rise to that level, but if I'm wrong, I'll apologize and try to be more careful.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I quote Hu, my comments are more directed to "Mr. T.".

Hu wrote:
You're welcome to make a case to other forum staff that I'm being inappropriate, but I can't think of anything I've done here that would be seriously considered to be wrong.
Given what I have read, I concur.
Hu wrote:
I've neither binned nor deleted anything.
Just to be clear, though neither was done here, binning s not wrong and it is entirely reversible; and deletions are reserved for spam, stale reports, and a few other cases which are quite rare.
Hu wrote:
If instead you're unhappy with my conduct as a speaker (as you seem to be unhappy with Ant P. too), you're welcome to make the case here or in the report thread that I or he are acting in violation of the forum rules. Again, I don't see that my remarks or his rise to that level, but if I'm wrong, I'll apologize and try to be more careful.
Do feel free, but know that it would take some convincing evidence which I have not yet found.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: