[SOLVED] dependency conflict: phonon-vlc[qt4,qt5] and phonon
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] dependency conflict: phonon-vlc[qt4,qt5] and phonon Reply with quote

After much googling and experimenting with USE flags, I neither understand nor can resolve the following emerge conflict message:

Code:
$ emerge -uDN @system @world
WARNING: One or more updates/rebuilds have been skipped due to a dependency conflict:                                               

media-libs/phonon-vlc:0                                                                                                             

(media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.10.1:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with                                             
    >=media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.9.0[qt4,qt5] required by (media-libs/phonon-4.9.1-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)                           
                                  ^^^ ^^^                                                                                           

media-libs/phonon:0                                                                                                                 

(media-libs/phonon-4.10.0:0/0::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) conflicts with                                                 
    media-libs/phonon[qt4] required by (kde-frameworks/kdelibs-4.14.37:4/4.14::gentoo, installed)                                   
                      ^^^                                                                                                           
    >=media-libs/phonon-4.9.0[qt4,qt5] required by (media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.9.1-r1:0/0::gentoo, installed)                           
                              ^^^ ^^^                                                                                               

1) What does this mean?
2) How do I resolve the conflict?

Thanks!

Last edited by m27315 on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a problem that you immediately have to fix, they are just updates skipped.

A package on your system depends on phonon[qt4]. It likely is kdelibs. Find out why it is still on your system, you can probable remove it.
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been living with it for a month or more, so I agree it is not urgent, but I am mostly concerned the meaning of the message. Why are those packages incompatible? ... I understand version conflicts, but I'm baffled by the USE flags. What about their USE flags is incompatible? How could I change their USE flags to be compatible and resolve the conflict, or is that even possible? ... Thanks!
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of kdelibs that depends on phonon[qt4].
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was only able to eliminate the requirement by adding "-qt4" to my make.conf USE flags and unemerging libreoffice/libreoffice-bin.

After updating world and depcleaning, the conflict was resolved. ... However, I am unable to use libreoffice now, because it wants qt4 and kdelibs-4, or at least, some of its dependencies do:

Code:
$ emerge -pvt libreoffice

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N     ] app-office/libreoffice-5.4.5.1::gentoo  USE="bluetooth branding cups dbus gtk kde (-coinmp) -collada -debug -eds (-firebird) -gltf -googledrive -gstreamer -gtk3 -java -jemalloc -libressl -mysql -odk -pdfimport -postgres -quickstarter {-test} -vlc" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="-nlpsolver -scripting-beanshell -scripting-javascript -wiki-publisher" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_5 -python2_7 -python3_4 -python3_6" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_5 -python3_4 -python3_6" 191,740 KiB
[ebuild  N     ]  kde-frameworks/kdelibs-4.14.37:4/4.14::gentoo  USE="acl bzip2 handbook nls plasma (policykit) qt3support spell ssl udev udisks upower (-altivec) -debug -doc (-fam) -jpeg2k -kerberos -libressl -lzma -openexr {-test} -zeroconf" CPU_FLAGS_X86="mmx sse sse2 -3dnow" 0 KiB
[nomerge       ] kde-apps/kdecore-meta-17.12.3:5::gentoo  USE="handbook"
[nomerge       ]  kde-apps/dolphin-17.12.3:5::gentoo  USE="handbook semantic-desktop -debug {-test} -thumbnail"
[nomerge       ]   kde-apps/kio-extras-17.12.3:5::gentoo  USE="activities handbook man phonon sftp -debug -htmlthumbs -mtp -openexr -samba -slp -taglib {-test}"
[nomerge       ]    kde-frameworks/khtml-5.43.0:5/5.43::gentoo  USE="X -debug -libressl {-test}"
[nomerge       ]     media-libs/phonon-4.9.1-r1::gentoo [4.10.0::gentoo] USE="designer pulseaudio qt4%* qt5%* vlc -debug -gstreamer" ABI_X86="32%* (64%*) (-x32)"
[ebuild     UD ]      media-libs/phonon-vlc-0.9.1-r1::gentoo [0.10.1::gentoo] USE="qt4%* qt5%* -debug" 0 KiB
[ebuild     UD ]       media-libs/phonon-4.9.1-r1::gentoo [4.10.0::gentoo] USE="designer pulseaudio qt4%* qt5%* vlc -debug -gstreamer" ABI_X86="32%* (64%*) (-x32)" 0 KiB
[nomerge       ] kde-plasma/plasma-meta-5.11.5:5::gentoo  USE="bluetooth crypt display-manager gtk handbook pam pulseaudio sddm wallpapers -grub -networkmanager -plymouth -sdk"
[nomerge       ]  kde-plasma/polkit-kde-agent-5.11.5:5::gentoo  USE="-debug"
[ebuild   R    ]   sys-auth/polkit-qt-0.112.0_p20160416-r1::gentoo  USE="qt4* -debug -examples" 0 KiB
The following USE changes are necessary to proceed:
 (see "package.use" in the portage(5) man page for more details)
# required by kde-frameworks/kdelibs-4.14.37::gentoo[plasma]
# required by app-office/libreoffice-5.4.5.1::gentoo[kde]
# required by libreoffice (argument)
>=app-crypt/qca-2.1.3-r1 qt4
# required by kde-frameworks/kdelibs-4.14.37::gentoo
>=dev-libs/libdbusmenu-qt-0.9.3_pre20160218-r1 qt4
# required by kde-frameworks/kdelibs-4.14.37::gentoo
>=sys-auth/polkit-qt-0.112.0_p20160416-r1 qt4
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove kde use flag to libreoffice-bin
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

libreoffice-bin is made for stable. Your system seems to be stable. So why did you unmask unstable phonon* versions?
m27315
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Removing the kde USE flag solved the requirement for libreoffice upon qt4 and kdelibs.

I marked phonon, phonon-vlc, and pulseaudio as unstable a long time ago. I removed the keywords for those packages, returned to stable for them, and rebuilt the outdated packages, which will surely help avoid future issues with these packages.

Thanks for all of the help! :)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

m27315 wrote:
Removing the kde USE flag solved the requirement for libreoffice upon qt4 and kdelibs.

For a full arch system, USE=kde is fine. (it requires qt4)
For a full ~arch system, USE=kde is fine. ;) (it requires qt5)
davydm
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to say thanks for the help here -- sorted out my same problem (remove kdelibs, upon which nothing depended, but it was still hanging about)
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point by the way, kdelibs is masked, and no more phonon* versions with qt4 support present.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: