All the random stuff you’d weirdly miss if u #DeleteFacebook
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: All the random stuff you’d weirdly miss if u #DeleteFacebook Reply with quote

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have decided to go door to door showing people photos of my cats instead!
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what if you never had an account?
Muso
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

I got a call yesterday from some advocacy group concerned about Facebook. The lady said she had five questions. Her first question was "Do you use Facebook". I told her, "Not with my real name and only for trolling", she thanked me and hung up.

Kindness Evokes Kindness

Peace Emits Positive Energy
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I permanently deleted my Facebook account years ago.
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had one. Is there a joke somewhere? I do not visit fake news sites such as BBC.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joke is, the #deletefacebook is on twitter! Since twitter is basically dead, well, fill in the blank.

Of course the SJWs won't get the joke because banning people and dog piling them for wrongthink is the way to grow a platform. :roll:
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Joke is, the #deletefacebook is on twitter! Since twitter is basically dead, well, fill in the blank.

Of course the SJWs won't get the joke because banning people and dog piling them for wrongthink is the way to grow a platform. :roll:
The bigger joke is the #deletefacebook movement is advocating going to instagram for socialmedia hit without 1) understanding they all do it 2) instagram is owned by facebook
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muso wrote:
Naib wrote:

I got a call yesterday from some advocacy group concerned about Facebook. The lady said she had five questions. Her first question was "Do you use Facebook". I told her, "Not with my real name and only for trolling", she thanked me and hung up.
hehe. Thing is I "have" a facebook account... I made one over a decade ago as a look-see as to wtf it was ... (random character for login, random email etc)... It started recommending my wife, cousins, friends to link with YET zero signs I had indicated I had known them EXCEPT via the fact my IP address was the same as my wifes ...

Thats when I knew they were doing more than was healthy so I just walked away :). Closest thing I have to "social media" is this forum, IRC and Imgur
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something wrong with Facebook?
My understanding is Facebook is a place where people chat about how their cat is eating and other such empty talk. Since it is free for them they give up their privacy in return. I don't see anything wrong with Facebook, it is a legit business making money on fools, there are many such businesses, all legit.
Am I mistaken, this is not what Facebook is?
flysideways
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
Muso wrote:
Naib wrote:

hehe. Thing is I "have" a facebook account... I made one over a decade ago as a look-see as to wtf it was ... (random character for login, random email etc)... It started recommending my wife, cousins, friends to link with YET zero signs I had indicated I had known them EXCEPT via the fact my IP address was the same as my wifes ...

Thats when I knew they were doing more than was healthy so I just walked away :). Closest thing I have to "social media" is this forum, IRC and Imgur

Fifteen or so years ago, when we had first gotten a cable internet connection at home, we had a regularly changing ip address. I don't remember when I first noticed that it no longer changed, but I do remember thinking that was not good.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wswartzendruber wrote:

There is no "permanently deleted" FB accounts. If you don't believe me just reactivate and you'll see all the content you ever put there -- at least last I checked.

If you know some magical voodoo to actually delete content please share!

I stopped using FB years ago.

Oh and to actually answer the question asked in the OP: Finding a good new band about once every eight months. That is all I miss about FB.

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
patrix_neo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, for a person finding health and outdoors wild boar hunting, with a Derringer? Who am I to complain
Marcih
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaglover wrote:
Is there something wrong with Facebook?
My understanding is Facebook is a place where people chat about how their cat is eating and other such empty talk. Since it is free for them they give up their privacy in return. I don't see anything wrong with Facebook, it is a legit business making money on fools, there are many such businesses, all legit.
Am I mistaken, this is not what Facebook is?
The thing that concerns me the most is that they know the things you don't tell them through planting so-called supercookies and fingerprinting and whatnot. And they do this without you ever as much as visiting facebook.com, they do it through their "Like" buttons on websites. Just by loading them, you report to Big Papi Facebook. At least, that's my understanding of it. I would not be surprised if the other social media that have such buttons did the same.

In principle, I'm fine with people giving their credit card number, PIN and SSN to a shitty social media network; as long as they actually give it, willingly. This is not the case with Facebook & friends. The rumoured "shadow profiles" doesn't look like a baseless conspiracy hypothesis either.

Also, systemd is bad and stuff...
Bones McCracker wrote:
It wouldn't be so bad, if it didn't suck.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

I'm laughing at all the morons. I'm also here to tell you that no, I'm not voluntarily submitting DNA sample to Ancestry for Big Brother to use.
HungGarTiger
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something a lot of people don't know is that, you don't even need to have ever used facebook to have a profile. As it has access to everybodies contact list, friends phone numbers, etc, Facebook sets up "shadow profiles" for people, so they will know your name, phone number, friend circles and how much these people contact you (probably other things too).

So they know who you are even if you have never signed up.
wswartzendruber
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BonezTheGoon wrote:
wswartzendruber wrote:

There is no "permanently deleted" FB accounts. If you don't believe me just reactivate and you'll see all the content you ever put there -- at least last I checked.

If you know some magical voodoo to actually delete content please share!

I stopped using FB years ago.

Oh and to actually answer the question asked in the OP: Finding a good new band about once every eight months. That is all I miss about FB.

It looks like it worked.

"The email you've entered doesn't match any account."

Like I said, this was back in 2011, so I'm not sure if it still works. There were a lot of hoops to jump through.
Ammunition: Federal Premium HST 124gr
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HungGarTiger wrote:
something a lot of people don't know is that, you don't even need to have ever used facebook to have a profile. As it has access to everybodies contact list, friends phone numbers, etc, Facebook sets up "shadow profiles" for people, so they will know your name, phone number, friend circles and how much these people contact you (probably other things too).

So they know who you are even if you have never signed up.

You can't walk to your car in the rain without getting at least damp, but that's no reason to throw yourself to the ground and roll around in the mud puddles and then drag yourself into the gutter and blow bubbles in the sewage runoff.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest Black Lives Matter page on Facebook is fake
Quote:
The discovery also raises questions about Facebook's commitment to change, and to policing its platform, even in the midst of its PR offensive leading up to Zuckerberg's testimony. Not for the first time, Facebook took action against a major bad actor on its site not on its own but because journalists made inquiries.

Indeed, Facebook was told of concerns about the page some time ago. Patrisse Cullors, a co-founder of the Black Lives Matter movement, told CNN that Black Lives Matter had, suspecting the page was a scam, contacted Facebook about removing it a few months ago.

notageek
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

White man sets up fake site. Totally biggers fault.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the fault of the Democrats. They have intentionally and artificially inflamed racial fear and hate to mobilize voters, in the process setting back race relations 50 years and hurting blacks more than anybody.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bones McCracker wrote:
It's the fault of the Democrats. They have intentionally and artificially inflamed racial fear and hate to mobilize voters, in the process setting back race relations 50 years and hurting blacks more than anybody.

++

Everything left does backfires, this is no exception.
Bones McCracker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they continue to do it, all the while calling everyone else stupid. Look at Russia today. Great job Lenin, Stalin, and friends! Some are more "equal" than others it would seem. And China! How's that self-sufficiency working out for you? You've thrown in the towel, enslaved your people to foreign capitalism, and given birth to a corrupt and decadent elite class. How many hundreds of millions did you murder and for nothing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: