No HDMI audio with rx580 on kernel 4.15
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rexy712
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: No HDMI audio with rx580 on kernel 4.15 Reply with quote

I've been trying to get audio to go through my rx580's displayport or hdmi connection with no luck so far. I've tried updating to the 4.15 kernels and enabling the amdgpu dc and it still will not output. In pavucontrol, it lists the card as 'Ellesmere [Radeon RX 580]' but all the profiles are marked as 'unplugged'. And yes, I have verified that it is not muted :wink:

this is my kernel config
here's the output of pacmd list-cards

I feel like I'm missing something really simple here since I can't find anyone else with this problem on google. Any help is much appreciated.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got working sound on a RX550 (polaris12, should be the same), my kernel looks like this:

Code:
 ~ $ egrep -o 'amdgpu\S+' /proc/cmdline
amdgpu.deep_color=1
amdgpu.audio=1

~ $ uname -r
4.15.13-zen+

~ $ zgrep DRM_AMD /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU=y
# CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_SI is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_CIK is not set
CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_USERPTR=y
# CONFIG_DRM_AMDGPU_GART_DEBUGFS is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_AMD_ACP is not set
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC=y
CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_PRE_VEGA=y
# CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_FBC is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_AMD_DC_DCN1_0 is not set

~ $ pacmd list-cards | perl6 -ne '.say if /profiles:/ ff^ /"active profile:"/'
        profiles:
                output:hdmi-stereo: Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output (priority 5400, available: no)
                output:hdmi-surround: Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI) Output (priority 300, available: no)
                output:hdmi-surround71: Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI) Output (priority 300, available: no)
                output:hdmi-stereo-extra1: Digital Stereo (HDMI 2) Output (priority 5200, available: no)
                output:hdmi-surround-extra1: Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 2) Output (priority 100, available: no)
                output:hdmi-surround71-extra1: Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI 2) Output (priority 100, available: no)
                output:hdmi-stereo-extra2: Digital Stereo (HDMI 3) Output (priority 5200, available: unknown)
                output:hdmi-stereo-extra3: Digital Stereo (HDMI 4) Output (priority 5200, available: no)
                output:hdmi-surround-extra3: Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 4) Output (priority 100, available: no)
                output:hdmi-surround71-extra3: Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI 4) Output (priority 100, available: no)
                output:hdmi-stereo-extra4: Digital Stereo (HDMI 5) Output (priority 5200, available: no)
                output:hdmi-surround-extra4: Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 5) Output (priority 100, available: no)
                output:hdmi-surround71-extra4: Digital Surround 7.1 (HDMI 5) Output (priority 100, available: no)
                off: Off (priority 0, available: unknown)

My DP monitor with sound is on "HDMI 3" above (which is showing as "unknown", while the rest are all "no"). The card also has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI output, I'm not sure why the driver thinks it has 5 sound outputs...

I have second monitor connected to DVI deliberately to avoid sound on it, because it downgrades to YPbPr 4:2:2 with HDMI sound for some reason and there's no way to disable that per-output (there was with the radeon driver). May be worth noting that if you get it working.
rexy712
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confirmed that I have the same kernel options set and tried again. Still no luck. I hadn't had the 'amdgpu.audio=1' set so I added that to the startup and it still has the exact same issue.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS on - I had that off initially and things actually broke.
rexy712
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try turning CONFIG_SND_DYNAMIC_MINORS on - I had that off initially and things actually broke.

That did the trick! Thank you very much for the assistance, I was starting to give up hope of this working

Kinda surprising nothing broke sooner than this with that option off :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: