RAID performance...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: RAID performance... Reply with quote

OK, so I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 v3 to play with. I intend on running four or five Ark servers on it. 64Gb ECC RM, eight SAS disks on a Perc/6i controller. Now, would it be better to do RAID10 on the controller and put BTRFS on the logical volume OR use the disks individually and make a BTRFS RAID10 volume? The Perc controller has 256MB of RAM onboard. My guess is that BTRFS RAID10 would provide me better bit-rot protection, but the Perc RAID10 would provide better speed. Is this about right?
krinn
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you don't use the hw, then the bottleneck will be killer: controller->disk->cpu->memory loop instead of controller->disk for any access (your cpu is a resource for any controller not having a dedicated cpu for the task)
note also that most raid controller won't just let you use the 8 disks alone, but only use them in an array, and for most controller, it mean a minimal of 2 disks / array
The_Great_Sephiroth
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know. I am thinking of doing four two-disk RAID1 arrays on the controller and using RAID0 BTRFS on top. I then get bit-rot protection and vast speed improvements.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: