Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] makeopts to reduce laptop heating?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
osilkin98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: [solved] makeopts to reduce laptop heating? Reply with quote

Right now I'm compiling and installing kde-meta and my Thinkpad T420 reached temperatures of 97C

I ended up having to get a bag of ice from the fridge to cool it down but I was wondering if there's anyway to prevent the laptop from heating up as easily?
From what I understand, Thinkpads have a history of being extremely durable and not heating up to such extreme temps.

my /etc/portage/make.conf has it set so that there are 2 parallel computations going on, previously I had it set to 3 but I tried tuning it down to see if that would reduce the overheating that happens.

Last edited by osilkin98 on Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Irre
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge --jobs=1 ....
osilkin98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irre wrote:
MAKEOPTS="-j1" emerge --jobs=1 ....

Thanks, that seems to have worked, my temperatures have been stable at around 72C give or take 4C

Now I won't have to put nordic ice under my laptop everytime I compile
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add this on EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS
PrSo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: makeopts to reduce laptop heating? Reply with quote

osilkin98 wrote:
Right now I'm compiling and installing kde-meta and my Thinkpad T420 reached temperatures of 97C

Maybe this sounds stupid but have you clean the fan, the heatsink, and changed thermal compound on cpu? T420 is very durable but quite adult. Thermal paste can be turned into a stone and loses its functionality after some time. 97C it is a way too much even for the compilation IMHO.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might also work to set the cpufreq governor to ondemand (not schedutil!), then there's a control file somewhere in /sys/devices/system/cpu/ that causes it to ignore nice > 0 processes. Portage will be able to use all cores, but it won't increase the clock on its own.
osilkin98
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: makeopts to reduce laptop heating? Reply with quote

PrSo wrote:
osilkin98 wrote:

Maybe this sounds stupid but have you clean the fan, the heatsink, and changed thermal compound on cpu? T420 is very durable but quite adult. Thermal paste can be turned into a stone and loses its functionality after some time. 97C it is a way too much even for the compilation IMHO.

I got my T420 refurbished from someone on ebay a month ago, so far I've been running Fedora on it and beating it to hell with programs that I've made but the only time I've ever seen it reach temps this high is when I'm running emerge on a lot of packages. I've searched up the issue before and it seems like other people were also having trouble with it but nobody addressed how to actually prevent it from doing so.

As someone pointed out earlier, doing MAKEOPTS="-j1" and emerge --jobs=1 did the trick for me, I collected temperature data while it compiled last night and it averaged at around 72C which is typically what I'd be at if I'm doing anything process intensive. The only other time I've ever gotten temperatures of 97C is when the fan in my ThinkPad T60 got stuck.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: