Dual booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Dual booting Reply with quote

I would like to be able to manage another linux distribution alongside my current gentoo on the same ssd. Current disk layout from gentoo is:
Code:
sda      8:0    0 111.8G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0     2M  0 part
├─sda2   8:2    0   512M  0 part
├─sda3   8:3    0     8G  0 part [SWAP]
├─sda4   8:4    0  48.5G  0 part /
├─sda5   8:5    0  39.3G  0 part /home
└─sda6   8:6    0  15.5G  0 part

sda2 is a vfat boot partition with grub2. sda6 ~15gb is my target partition for the other distribution and sharing swap.

Is there a simple way to share the boot partition, update the kernel and reboot from either distribution? I have managed grub2 from one OS, which involves a lot of rebooting, or put the boot partition for the other OS on another drive but with what I expect to be rather frequent kernel updates it would be nice to have a clean all in one solution.
littletux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure, but I think your "BOOT Partition" is not a boot partition. It is the UEFI partition, and you have misconfigured something if your grub folder is really in it.

if you use grub2 what is nearly 100 % then you should not use a boot partition. if you do so and use the
Code:
grub-mkconfig
command, this command will create a lot of mixed entrys in your boot menu, and a lot of them not really work.
If you use grub-legacy, then you can handle more than one distributions with only one boot partition, but with grub2 dont't do this, it's really crapy because if your kernels are all in the same partition, and the auto-generator
Code:
grub-mkconfig
can not really handle this

if you have a UEFI system as I suggest, and if your grub folder is really in this vfat partition ( which is the EFI Partition) then you should change this.

You should have the boot folders in the root partitions of the dirstributions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: