Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blopsalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skellr wrote:
Xorg upgrades in the testing branch are prone to cause problems. You guys have been around long enough to have seen it more than once right? ;)
Make a backup/snapshot so you can revert the damage until you have time to deal with it.

Shouldn't the "testing" community be helping the developers instead of crying about breakage? Aren't we testing stuff so the "stable" people don't have to deal with it?

~ is historically untested in distro but considered stable upstream. things have always been hard masked if they break things.. hell, ncurses 6.1 is hard masked because one report that it breaks mc 256 color lol.
rafo
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Readers of this thread may also be interested in https://bugs.gentoo.org/635102
Proinsias
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I copied a my desktop install to another drive last week, booted into it which was fine and then tried an upgrade, startx failed.

I've booted back into my primary install and am not sure how to ensure my next update does not end up with no X.

I appreciate I'm along for the ride on ~arch and am largely ignorant of the nut and bolts of gentoo......but I am keen to be able to update system without losing X11.

Any tips?
skellr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proinsias wrote:
I copied a my desktop install to another drive last week, booted into it which was fine and then tried an upgrade, startx failed.

I've booted back into my primary install and am not sure how to ensure my next update does not end up with no X.

I appreciate I'm along for the ride on ~arch and am largely ignorant of the nut and bolts of gentoo......but I am keen to be able to update system without losing X11.

Any tips?

Sync and try again on your test box. It looks like they reverted the change and there is a downgrade of xorg-server with the suid use flag available.
The Main Man
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to unmask 1.19.99.901-r1 because I have some issues with 1.19.5-r1, there was 1.19.6 version before 1.19.99.901 was introduced but it's not longer available, I had no problems with it.
Anyway, I have zero issues with latest xorg, IMHO the main problem with that version is that news item wasn't there, explaining what needs to be done manually in order to solve some issues.
When I upgraded X I wasn't able to start it, it took me a while to figure out that I actually have to start X as user, once I did that everything was fine.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: