video out
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pyrrhik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: video out Reply with quote

how do I set my laptop to use the video out so I can display to an external monitor?
Infected
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use the vga/dvi out on the back there is usally a key combiantion for this, like fn+F4 look after a icon on one of your F keys and see if one of them resembles a "monitor". This is a hardware feathure and linux usally has "nothing to do with it".

You can also try to boot you laptop with the lid closed witch will set the laptop to use the external monitor.

If it is the "video out" to display the image on a tv etc this is a driver feathure, and you have to check if you gfx-card vendor supports this (in the linux driver), most nvidia card does.

Infected
trapperjohn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infected wrote:
If you want to use the vga/dvi out on the back there is usally a key combiantion for this, like fn+F4 look after a icon on one of your F keys and see if one of them resembles a "monitor". This is a hardware feathure and linux usally has "nothing to do with it".

Well, this depends on your video hardware. Some Cards are just dual-headed which means, you can use your LCD and vga-out at the same time. So you have to setup you XF86Config for Dual-Head use.
pyrrhik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, it's actually fn+f8. it works pretty well for the most part, but a good deal of the time, the X server will hang, display random things, and just generally not respond. I'm wondering if that's just a driver problem, or if I should have set my config file to something specific to avoid it
phate
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Infected wrote:

When I press this key combination, nothing happens. When I boot Windoze, it works. But with gentoo just nothing happens.
What should I do to get this working? Are there perhaps any XOrg configs I have to adjust?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: