Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
sys-apps/tuned - is this system md only?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dufeu
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: sys-apps/tuned - is this system md only? Reply with quote

I've developed an interest in getting better performance from my NAS. Therefore, the topic of this post is the package 'tuned'. I give a bit of history as to how I arrived here. Please do not respond to the history. I'll be posting a different post in Networking to cover the issue I'm having with NFS.

I was having problem with nfs performance including a lot of
Code:
nfs: server 192.168.1.202 not responding, still trying
messages.

I've made gains this area but have since run into other problems which I think have nothing to do with nfs.

Specifically, within my NAS, I have sets of 5 and 6 drive filesystems. Previously, data copying using rsync between disk clusters was a pretty consistent average ~185MB/s. Now, I'm getting about half {90MB/s} at best. It's more liek 60MB/s. Other than fiddling with nfs knobs, the only other changes I've made have been to upgrade my kernel from 4.14.12 to 4.14.20. Note: I have 10Gbps Melonx NIC into a switch with 2 SPF ports. I've had combined data transfer rates as high as 900MB/s.

I've been using iostat, nfsstat and nfsiostat to look at what's happening but there is nothing obvious.

My NAS is based on a 48 drive Chenbro chassis. I currently have 8 clusters of disks with 42 dirves installed.

Also prior to the kernel upgrades, rsync from my workstation to NAS when nothing else was running was as high as ~290MB/s. This was after I adjusted /etc/conf.d/nfs:
Code:
OPTS_RPC_NFSD="64"

The mounts on my nfsclient look like this:
Code:
/Silo01 from 192.168.1.202:/export/Silo01
 Flags: rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=30,retrans=2,sec=sys,mountaddr=192.168.1.202,
mountvers=3,mountport=47899,mountproto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=192.168.1.202

All data transfer cases {rsync from workstation to NAS - nfs, rsync from disk cluster to disk cluster within NAS - no nfs, drag and drop through KDE from workstation to NAS - nfs, etc} now run pretty much the same throughput.

When I saw this, I started looking more into iostat results but that didn't seem helpful. In the nature of my readings, I started looking at other performance tools including sys-apps/tuned. 'tuned-adm' requires the tuned daemon to be running. Apparently, the tuned daemon expects to be initiated through 'systemctl'. I'd prefer not to rebuild my NAS from scratch to convert it from OpenRC to systemd. Can I start 'tuned' manually? Or are the other requirements I need which means I need to convert my init? Are there alternative tuning tools I can use?

I've been reading the Wiki article Systemd. I've aslo read a number of the gentoo forum posts. What I haven't seen is a gude which lays out the steps required to convert from OpenRC to systemd. Is there such a guide? The whole thing looks tedious at best.

Other notes: I haven't yet looked to see if the defaults have changed on the Melonx NICs. I've been under the working assumption they've remained the same as I have been getting data transfer rates above 350MB/s depending on what I've been running.

Thoughts, comments and suggestions welcom.
eccerr0r
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, appears sys-apps/tuned was indeed designed for systemd, but you should be able to get the performance from openrc as well. What exactly was the lightswitch? Was it just kernel - if you use an older kernel will it restore how it worked before?

If you really want to go the systemd route, you could switch over to a systemd profile (eselect profile) and then emerge --newuse and see how bad it is to fix all the conflicts. I suspect a lot of people here would frown upon switching to systemd just for this reason...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: