start feeling a bit lost
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: start feeling a bit lost Reply with quote

I am start feeling a bit lost lately. In particular that started with new kernels because of meltdown and spectre disaster. Before I was experienced enough to create problems on my gentoo boxes and learning how to fix them slowly gain some knowledge. I am now using gentoo for about 10years. It was my first really using distro and I never looked back. The developpers and the community deserve a big thank you for all your wonderfull work and support.

For years I had an old core2 box for my home desktop which was replaced by a nice ryzen 1600 machine. My old Gentoo setup survived and I did not have to re-install. I am able to play games like LoL through wine, or watch movies with sound over hdmi on my tv and I was successfull in setting up and using a small web-, mail-, openvpn- and cloud-server which all run fine. All good in a way.

But then I start hitting strange things lately, like overclocked bios settings let the processor only run at 1375 MHz although ondemand governor is setup ( but this does not happen with kernel 4.9.78 ). Or my virtual server that does not even boot on kernel >=4.15.

I hope, that I am not missing the boat :oops:
I am starting to think maybe I should stay @stable also on kernel and compiler choice and hope those problems would be fixed later when stuff is beeing stabilized. I run a mostly stable system, only have changed to compiler 7.3 and kernel 4.15 for meltdown and spectre stuff and because of hdmi support not beeing there with kernel before 4.15 on amdgpu.

Again, I feel very @home here within gentoo community and can only express my big thankfullness for this wonderfull people.
blopsalot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by blopsalot on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed :D

Well I did not stresstest it with mprime or x264, but I compiled whole lot of packages, even emerge -e world without any issues.

Heres the post with the overclock problem, but I dont consider this a big problem, as my ryzen 5 1600 box is also lightening fast especially compared to my old core2 duo box :D. Maybe this ill be solved somehow in the future. https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1076990-highlight-.html

Another thing is the VPS thing.
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1076592-highlight-.html

But I am getting to the same conclusion (to get them upgrade or switch providers), as I find it quite uncommon to have parallels as hypervisor anyways :)

Yes, I think, I'll try to stay calm and hope that situation will ease off :twisted:

And besides all that said, I dont think, I would have less troubles with Microsoft OS or other linux distributions anyways :twisted:
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elleni wrote:
<snip>
And besides all that said, I dont think, I would have less troubles with Microsoft OS or other linux distributions anyways :twisted:

And that's the bottom line, Gentoo tools and these forums are an unmatched combination in my experience.

Despite a few (completely self-inflicted) disasters; I haven't lost a byte of data due to a gentoo system. I started moving to Gentoo exclusively for email / data storage in 2003, after the second time an outlook .pst database corruption ate a years worth of emails, requiring my purchase of yet another tool or support package to enable unscrambling of the proprietary egg to recover my data. The transition took a couple of years, and was not without some compromises in work-flow and a lot of reading / experimentation, and for a few years early I had to keep a couple of XP installs in VM,s to happily collaborate with M$ users. In the end, by 2010-11 I was able to fully transition to Gentoo on Desktops.

Administrating these systems is work, sometimes more for the fact that I have to learn (or these days <cough> remember) skills and tools that I probably never would have come into contact with as an admin / user of M$ or the SuSE systems I started this journey on.

That investment of time has been far more valuable to me than the equivalent investment in dollars. As a bonus, by hanging out here I can get the insights of people who are very deeply experienced across a vast range of technical disciplines, even if I don't necessarily understand everything discussed, it makes interesting and informative reading.

If I worried about everything I didn't know, I'd have little time left to do any work and probably no confidence to drop into the shell ;)
tld
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it's been a little nuts in every regard lately. What compounded the whole meltdown/spectre kernel thing for me was the way the 4.12 and 4.14 kernels went stable and were subsequently masked later on. I always use "make oldconfig" and keep my old .config files around for a while in case I need to revert to an older kernel. However by the time those got masked I'd long since gotten rid of those and, since you can't do make oldconfig starting with a newer config (I'd assume) I'm stuck on hard masked kernels until who knows when. No way am I configuring my kernel from scratch. There have been a ton of other unrelated complexities lately it seems. But yea...still doing well compared to all other options if you ask me...Linux or otherwise.

Tom
Elleni
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

thanks for your posts, and statements, that I absolutely agree. I am also starting to gain confidence again :)

My VPS provider announced some upgrades on their hypervisors and worst case I will simply evaluate a different hoster, with kvm as hypervisor :twisted:
ian.au
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tld wrote:
Yea, it's been a little nuts in every regard lately. What compounded the whole meltdown/spectre kernel thing for me was the way the 4.12 and 4.14 kernels went stable and were subsequently masked later on. I always use "make oldconfig" and keep my old .config files around for a while in case I need to revert to an older kernel. However by the time those got masked I'd long since gotten rid of those and, since you can't do make oldconfig starting with a newer config (I'd assume) I'm stuck on hard masked kernels until who knows when. No way am I configuring my kernel from scratch. There have been a ton of other unrelated complexities lately it seems. But yea...still doing well compared to all other options if you ask me...Linux or otherwise.

Tom

It's really frustrating when designated LTS kernels are stabilised and subsequently masked, for sure. I can only think of a couple of instances where that has happened in recent memory, and those only as a result of some error / oversight and they're not down for long. The recent situation is a bit unique.

At least your 4.14 Kernel should break out of the mask in due course. I only read the fail reports peripherally until I saw enough to deter me from adopting it, but from what I recall 4.14 just doesn't work on some hw, hence the mask? Still, a bit of an uncomfortable situation while it persists.

Most of my hardware is mature (well, that or old) these days, so I don't bother with ~ installs for the Kernel and favour stable from the LTS branch. Fortunately by the time I was considering moving to 4.14 (which was briefly stabilised iirc) these forums were filling up with sundry 4.14 breakage reports- so I avoided your situation. Neither solution is fantastic, I know the longer I wait to jump across from the 4.9.x branch, the more pages of features I will need to review on upgrade.

Nonetheless, my systems are chugging along and no time or data has been lost, and that is the general case with gentoo installs in my experience.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: