Users of Mplayer here
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject: Users of Mplayer here Reply with quote

Just wondering if anybody here uses mplayer to stream videos. I cannot get it to work and I am certain its a gentoo bug, so I choose to try and verify it, if you have mplayer installed and it does stream videos than please state that it does.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Background story: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1077642.html
n17r4m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, works great for me. I just tried streaming a youtube video and it appears to work fine. Even seeking is well-supported.

Example command I would use (since youtube doesn't like giving up actual video urls easily) is

Code:
mplayer $(youtube-dl -g "https://youtu.be/hB07EJhMBRs")
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n17r4m wrote:
Yep, works great for me. I just tried streaming a youtube video and it appears to work fine. Even seeking is well-supported.

Example command I would use (since youtube doesn't like giving up actual video urls easily) is

Code:
mplayer $(youtube-dl -g "https://youtu.be/hB07EJhMBRs")

It SHOULD WORK without youtube-dl, can you test? Also what revision of mplayer is installed?
n17r4m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Document wrote:

It SHOULD WORK without youtube-dl, can you test? Also what revision of mplayer is installed?

I don't see how it could? The vanilla youtube link is a reference to a web page, not a video stream. I don't think it is reasonable for mplayer to parse html, it is outside the scope of the program. Reading up on your "background" post, maybe when using windows/mac the particular front-end to mplayer you had used something like youtube-dl internally to retrieve the actual stream url, and passed that along to mplayer transparently. Anyways, testing using the youtu.be url fails, since that just gives mplayer html text, which it doesn't understand, since it's looking for video data.

edit: Using MPlayer 1.3.0
edit2: Grammer
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n17r4m wrote:
The_Document wrote:

I don't see how it could? The vanilla youtube link is a reference to a web page, not a video stream. I don't think it is reasonable for mplayer to parse html, it is outside the scope of the program. Reading up on your "background" post, maybe when using windows/mac the particular front-end to mplayer you had used something like youtube-dl internally to retrieve the actual stream url, and passed that along to mplayer transparently. Anyways, testing using the youtu.be url fails, since that just gives mplayer html text, which it doesn't understand, since it's looking for video data.

edit: Using MPlayer 1.3.0
edit2: Grammer

Mplayer aside, smplayer and vlc on windows opened network streams, it does not on gentoo and vlc is not mplayer dependent. I ran another youtube video and mplayer said:
Code:
https protocol not found, recompile FFmpeg with openssl, gnutls or securetransport enabled.
n17r4m
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Document wrote:

Mplayer aside, smplayer and vlc on windows opened network streams, it does not on gentoo and vlc is not mplayer dependent.

I tried with vlc, indeed, in the examples area on the "open network stream" it implies that you can use vanilla youtube links, which does not work (in the logs, I see "Garbage at input" errors). So, perhaps there are some platform differences, and maybe vlc on gentoo should not suggest that youtube links can be opened as-is. A brief search seems to suggest that extra vlc plugins are required to parse youtube links?

That said, using the actual video stream urls (as reported from youtube-dl -g ) and everything works as expected.

I dunno, for me this was totally expected behavior and I'm actually surprised to find out that you can use regular youtube links on other platforms and/or distros. If you want to pursue this and help make gentoo a better place, perhaps consider filing a bug for gentoo/vlc requesting this support be added. (and thus get the needed plugin/extension added to the vlc ebuild)

Anyways, enough chatter from me. I hope you have a nice day, cheers!

edit: for ssl support, you may need to add the openssl USE flag to ffmpeg.
Tyrus
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To play youtube video streams with vlc you need the lua use flag. Thats what is also reported here:

elko wrote:
You need lua use flag to play youtube videos. With that use flag, youtube.luac and youtube_homepage.luac is compiled. I suppose that the scripts parse HTML youtube pages to find the video streams.

Read here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1024132-start-0.html
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyrus wrote:
To play youtube video streams with vlc you need the lua use flag. Thats what is also reported here:

elko wrote:
You need lua use flag to play youtube videos. With that use flag, youtube.luac and youtube_homepage.luac is compiled. I suppose that the scripts parse HTML youtube pages to find the video streams.

Read here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1024132-start-0.html

Well he was right and Im very happy now that Smtube and VLC work together and play youtube videos. I demand the wiki for VLC be UPDATED to tell users you NEED lua and gnutls for network streaming to work. Same goes for mplayer wiki entry.
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a wiki, just do it.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Document,

You are a part of the Gentoo community.
Share your experiences with the rest of the community by contributing to the wiki.

If editing the page directly is a step too far, put your finding on the discussion page so the experiences you have gained are not lost.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
The_Document,

You are a part of the Gentoo community.
Share your experiences with the rest of the community by contributing to the wiki.

If editing the page directly is a step too far, put your finding on the discussion page so the experiences you have gained are not lost.

I updated the wiki, I simply do not want people to go thru what I went thru and it also makes things more usable.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/VLC#Streaming_Online_Multimedia

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MPlayer#Streaming_Videos_From_Websites
Anon-E-moose
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both mplayer and mpv on my system, but typically use mpv over mplayer, and with youtube-dl it's pretty easy to use.
Zucca

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anon-E-moose wrote:
but typically use mpv over mplayer, and with youtube-dl it's pretty easy to use.
I've abandoned all the other video players becuase mpv seems to handle everything I throw at it.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
The_Document
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated wiki stating mplayer is unsupported and its fork is available.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MPlayer
i4dnf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Document wrote:
Updated wiki stating mplayer is unsupported and its fork is available.
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MPlayer

Mplayer is maintained AFAIK, please check your sources before making such bold statements, especially on documentation pages. (Even more so since mpv made some controversial moves of late... )

BTW: One look at the mplayer mailing list would have been enough: http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/mplayer-dev-eng/
10w.st
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's supported, maintained, and is being developed still. It's just not a very social project so you rarely hear about it.
There's a SVN available, works fine.
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mplayer is actively maintained according to every source out there, even if they are not talkative.

Editing the wiki recklessly like that because you have problems with their product seriously damages the credibility of the wiki. Please revert the change and refrain from posting your speculations as fact.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doctor wrote:
Mplayer is actively maintained according to every source out there
mplayerhq.hu wrote:
The latest MPlayer release is 1.3.0, created on 16/02/2016
At least its been a while since last release. Yes. That's not the whole story. Just thought to mention this.

Also I've already edited the note on the wikipage.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
The Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca wrote:
At least its been a while since last release. Yes. That's not the whole story. Just thought to mention this.
That is true, but for a media player back end the goal posts are not really moving so that just means the project is mature.

Apologies if I take a while to respond. I'm currently working on the dematerialization circuit for my blue box.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the installation section of the documentation on mplayer's website, the developers recommend to install mplayer directly from its source code repository, which on gentoo will be a live ebuild (mplayer-9999), and to let mplayer download and compile with the libraries it thinks are best for him. It is no mplayer ebuild that met that condition in portage. Gentoo like all the other linux distributions are forcing mplayer to use the system libraries instead. Which imply if you instal mplayer with the mplayer-9999 ebuild (if still in portage), you will have to unmask libraries, and it is only a matter of time before other software will break or not compile at all. It is why I use my own mplayer-9999 ebuild.

That will not solve the youtube redirections mess, but 1) that's not mplayer's job to deal with that, 2) it let mplayer to be able to play media files as soon their codecs are added into its libraries, which is before the other players, and 3) nothing collide with the system libraries. So don't say mplayer is abandonware, but use it the recommended way instead.

Edit: add 3) + typo.
Edit: codecs in libraries
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: